Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left a town about 13 miles from home knowing I needed to fill up soon. About 3 miles out, the fuel warning light comes on so I thought I'd call up the screen showing how far I could go before tapping out !! Imagine my surprise when it read 8 miles to go !!! What ???? I should have a little less than 2 gallons left so that calculates out to about 4 MPG !! Our Can-Am race car got better mileage than that !! By the time I got home, it read "0", nada, zilch !! Had some gas here so threw in a gallon and next day drove to a closer town on some errands and to fill up !! After adding the one and driving 7 miles into that town, the pump clicked off at 12.4 gallons so 13.4 roughly total. I know these readouts are ballpark at best but obviously it isn't. I suppose I should do the dealer trot being that it's under warranty but I'm hoping it's not indicative of larger "issues" lurking just under the surface.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The low fuel light in my '09 goes on around 27 miles, I'm surprised yours didn't go off until 8. If I shut the car off, the light occasionally does not always turn back on immediately, sometimes takes a minute or two. And while I attempt never to run it down to fumes, it has happened once and it seems that it ran on 0 for a few miles before I got to the gas station, so beyond any variance or inaccuracy there looks like there may be a buffer built in. As you say, these things are a bit ballpark, but I think mine is fairly accurate and it always goes on between 27 and 21 miles, never seen it go on as low as 8. Are you certain that it wasn't on prior to you shutting the car off before leaving?

·
Registered
382 Posts
This is just a guess, but maybe the "miles left on this tank" calculates based on the current MPG calculation since you started the car. So if it was left idling several minutes, or if you are in a city driving (or dunkin donuts drive through) conditions, the average MPG for the current session would be low. Using the current mpg figure, it might divide the number of gallons left to give an estimated miles left. I think this is how it should work. I wonder what would have happened if you stopped the car and re-started. (to reset your average MPG for the session) If so, the remaining range will increase as your avg mpg/driving improves.

I can check that if you wish, on the way to work.

It may explain in the user's manual, but that's my personal guess and expectation of how it should/may work.

I have the "A" counter to average mpg for the current tank, so I can see a report on screen of the average MPG for the past 4 or 5 tanks. (the second tab in the info screen)
I have the "B" counter to average mpg for the current session, so I can see how my driving is since I started the car. (mpg, miles driven, etc)

The vehicle tracks both of these, and you can set either one to be on the top screen.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah my V gets the light around 25 miles
At "0" i need around 13.1 gallons

I have filled it with 14.7 before:cool:

Before you take it in I would try watching it more closely this week and see how many gallons you need at the next "0"

That is if you even drive the 300+ miles in a week :)

It could have come on late if somethings up with the sensor, but I am not sure how it measures that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The tank on a 2015 is 15.x gal. You need a gal or so to cover the fuel pump intake and to be sure you don't 'Run Out' just by driving uphill or downhill. The sensor is just a float and potentiometer in the tank... not very good resolution at all.
The MPG calculation is based on fuel injector pulse length and not terribly accurate either as fuel grade, temperature, density, etc are variables.
Bottom line.... Fuel Gauge, and Range, and MPG are all 'Estimates' !! I figure, when the light goes ON, I have 20 - 40 miles left... but I never count on that and try to fill within 10 mi if I can. It is not good to run the tank low anyway, as the fuel pump relies on being submerged in the tank to keep itself cool. Running low can make the pump run warmer, and reduce life. I top off anytime I can get 'double coupon' discounts whether I need the gas or not. Besides, you need to clean the windshield by then anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts