Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if you have seen or tried this. It is good alternative to our stock Head Unit, while keeping all OEM functions it gives a lot more. The Belsee Android 9 is available now for $429.99.

Preview: 10" Android head unit for 2017-Up CR-V
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYMgwWTYxtw

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Multimedia Honda fit

Belsee Android 9 Head Unit:
https://www.belsee.com/belsee-best-...-parts-for-honda-cr-v-cr-v-crv-2017-2019.html

Multimedia Electronics Technology Electronic device Display device

Both are Chinese made. I have used this kind of head unit on different car before, back then it has tons of features that stock HU can't offer but the hardware is slow and software is difficult or impossible to upgrade, as customer support doesn't exist. But with Android 9, Octa Core PX5, Ram 4GB Rom 64GB, it supports 4K video, not the best processor but not bad. What do you think?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am curious if you have seen or tried this. It is good alternative to our stock Head Unit, while keeping all OEM functions it gives a lot more. The Belsee Android 9 is available now for $429.99.

View attachment 130481

https://www.belsee.com/belsee-best-...-parts-for-honda-cr-v-cr-v-crv-2017-2019.html

View attachment 130479

Both are Chinese made. I have used this kind of head unit on different car before, back then it has tons of features that stock HU can't offer but the hardware is slow and software is difficult or impossible to upgrade, as customer support doesn't exist. But with Android 9, Octa Core PX5, Ram 4GB Rom 64GB, it supports 4K video, not the best processor but not bad. What do you think?
As long as I knew it held all the oem features I'd replace it in a heartbeat

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
This looks like a good attempt, but since Honda decided to integrate a bunch of the car controls into the HU, I don't see it being *quite* adequate yet. (It'd be nice if it maybe came with a way to temporarily re-attach the original HU (without yanking the new unit) when I needed to do something on it, like reset the MM, futz with the lock controls, etc.)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
This looks like a good attempt, but since Honda decided to integrate a bunch of the car controls into the HU, I don't see it being *quite* adequate yet. (It'd be nice if it maybe came with a way to temporarily re-attach the original HU (without yanking the new unit) when I needed to do something on it, like reset the MM, futz with the lock controls, etc.)
yep having a harness that you could run to the glove box and randomly plug in the oem one would work (just typing that would make me never want to do that lol)

but all these cheapo tesla looking units are just begging for trouble.
very laggy as well

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not that cheap

but all these cheapo tesla looking units are just begging for trouble.
very laggy as well
It's not that cheap compared to Pioneer or similar brand, they run $350+ on Android 8 and starting near $400 for Android 9. And since our HU is based on Android as well, we possibly can install those OEM apps into these chinese HU. From the video I can see AC controls, TPMS, GPS, Hondalink are built in, also it connects to OBD II port, which means it reads more data and can deal with DTC codes.

Laggy, maybe. Last one I had was Windows CE based HU, very slow.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Back in 2017 I looked around for a better HU but the ones I found I would have to figure out the wiring and some functions would not be able to via steering wheel. I ended up installing Honda Hack and (even slow) It does what i wanted. When I start my car it auto starts Pandora without my phone. I also use Waze while Pandora is running. I have a t-Moble $10 a mo MIFI data plan in the glove-box.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealer vs Honda hack

Back in 2017 I looked around for a better HU but the ones I found I would have to figure out the wiring and some functions would not be able to via steering wheel. I ended up installing Honda Hack and (even slow) It does what i wanted. When I start my car it auto starts Pandora without my phone. I also use Waze while Pandora is running. I have a t-Moble $10 a mo MIFI data plan in the glove-box.
Has any Honda dealership seen your honda hack installed? do they say anything?

·
Registered
503 Posts

View attachment 130481

View attachment 130479

If this was guaranteed to work 100% , they would have my money right now. I can't wait to upgrade the head unit, but only if its guaranteed 100% functionality.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Until some company posts pictures of their HU showing the cars settings menu on the screen it's a waste of time IMHO.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,550 Posts
Until some company posts pictures of their HU showing the cars settings menu on the screen it's a waste of time IMHO.

Rob
I agree. As time goes on.. the HUs in modern vehicles seem to be more and more integrated with other systems in the vehicle... which makes complete sense to me from a design and manufacturing point of view. Of course.. in doing so... car manufacturers are unlikely to go bleeding edge on HUs... especially since they don't actually make them... just negotiate a spec and feature requirement list with a 3rd party OEM and then issue contracts accordingly for production units.. with cost competition always a prime consideration in addition to features and quality.

Fact is.. the various components in vehicles are becoming more and more 3rd party OEM components, and less and less actually designed by the vehicle manufacturer, much less actually produced by them. Vehicles have followed the same path as personal computers did a generation ago..... many 3rd party components assembled into a stable finished product to a manufacturers specifications. At least cars are still being produced in final assembly form on manufacturer production lines in most cases (though in countries like China... the vehicle manufacturers are essentially subcontracting complete production for the local market in some cases).

Not to mention... whose to say these aftermarket HUs are any less troublsome and glitch free then the OEM units? AND.. once you put a 3rd party device (or software) in.. you have removed Honda accountability for any issues.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I agree. As time goes on.. the HUs in modern vehicles seem to be more and more integrated with other systems in the vehicle... which makes complete sense to me from a design and manufacturing point of view. Of course.. in doing so... car manufacturers are unlikely to go bleeding edge on HUs... especially since they don't actually make them... just negotiate a spec and feature requirement list with a 3rd party OEM and then issue contracts accordingly for production units.. with cost competition always a prime consideration in addition to features and quality.

Fact is.. the various components in vehicles are becoming more and more 3rd party OEM components, and less and less actually designed by the vehicle manufacturer, much less actually produced by them. Vehicles have followed the same path as personal computers did a generation ago..... many 3rd party components assembled into a stable finished product to a manufacturers specifications. At least cars are still being produced in final assembly form on manufacturer production lines in most cases (though in countries like China... the vehicle manufacturers are essentially subcontracting complete production for the local market in some cases).

Not to mention... whose to say these aftermarket HUs are any less troublsome and glitch free then the OEM units? AND.. once you put a 3rd party device (or software) in.. you have removed Honda accountability for any issues.
I am not so sure that things have changed all that much over the years. Even going back as far as I can remember, things like the Stereo, speakers etc have always been made by another company. then you have loads of other parts ranging from Brake Pads to steering pump booster that are typically made by other companies. I agree that it is getting worst in the HU dept as you can no longer just dump in a lovely Kenwood unit and get a great upgrade. I don't see this ever going away as these systems are now allowing changes to more and more critical systems. My bet is that they will never create some form of APK that would allow third parties to build stereos that are compatible with the data buses. At the same time it's likely that the Chinese will take a stab at it even if the HU quality is crap and it violates copyrighted software.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
127 Posts
I am not so sure that things have changed all that much over the years. Even going back as far as I can remember, things like the Stereo, speakers etc have always been made by another company. then you have loads of other parts ranging from Brake Pads to steering pump booster that are typically made by other companies. I agree that it is getting worst in the HU dept as you can no longer just dump in a lovely Kenwood unit and get a great upgrade. I don't see this ever going away as these systems are now allowing changes to more and more critical systems. My bet is that they will never create some form of APK that would allow third parties to build stereos that are compatible with the data buses. At the same time it's likely that the Chinese will take a stab at it even if the HU quality is crap and it violates copyrighted software.
Considering that some if not most of the OEM head unit development is being done by devs in China I'm really surprised we haven't seen any 3rd party units that can talk the same language as the OEM ones for the vehicle settings. I remember when apple and google announced their car integrations and how much excitement there was around a possible universal car app store/etc. but we all know how well that's working. I mean there's obviously an SDK and a spec that Honda (and other makes) use to manage the vehicle settings but I guess they're doing a really good job in keeping it in house.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Considering that some if not most of the OEM head unit development is being done by devs in China I'm really surprised we haven't seen any 3rd party units that can talk the same language as the OEM ones for the vehicle settings.
If I was to take a guess it's because of the partnership between Dongfeng motors and Honda.
Anybody doing this in China might find themselves in Jail real fast after Honda calls Donfeng and Donfeng calls the police. After all it's not very hard to dump the entire contents of the HU software and copy the hardware interface.

Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OEM controls

Did you see the video link? I think in that video they demonstrate 2 zone climate controls, steering wheel controls, GPS, Android Auto, Media Player, and backup camera. I'm not sure they use Vehicle Speed Sensor signal, usually after market HU doesn't use it. Other than that, pretty much that is what our OEM HU can do.

Considering that some if not most of the OEM head unit development is being done by devs in China I'm really surprised we haven't seen any 3rd party units that can talk the same language as the OEM ones for the vehicle settings. I remember when apple and google announced their car integrations and how much excitement there was around a possible universal car app store/etc. but we all know how well that's working. I mean there's obviously an SDK and a spec that Honda (and other makes) use to manage the vehicle settings but I guess they're doing a really good job in keeping it in house.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Did you see the video link? I think in that video they demonstrate 2 zone climate controls, steering wheel controls, GPS, Android Auto, Media Player, and backup camera. I'm not sure they use Vehicle Speed Sensor signal, usually after market HU doesn't use it. Other than that, pretty much that is what our OEM HU can do.
Yeah I saw it and I do not see anything happening with the Cars menu system. The only thing they seem to connect to is the Cable from the AC control unit. How do I do things like set how the Automatic door locking systems work or the Maintenance minder, Auto walk away locking, Auto headlight systems, CMBS setup, BSI ,MRC, TPMS Calibration and Trip A/B info plus probably a dozen other things i cant remember off the top of my head. All of that is lost with this unit. I wish it was all there but it does not seem to be.

Rob

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
127 Posts
They have seen it (I guess) but haven't said anything. I have had my oil changed at least twice. The is no loan on the car. (I know it's against Honda warranty for the HU) :) When I start the car Pandora then goes to Waze.
I seriously doubt the techs in charge of the oil change will even notice a hacked unit let alone care unless it's called out specifically for a problem you mention. A service manager may say something but whoever is changing the oil is probably just thinking it's the oem garmin nav and goes directly to the settings to reset the service minder notice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know on the toyota forums people have used these types of head units with pretty good success. I would assume if the 2020 has the same head unit with 4 model years and millions of cars built. I think there will be something.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.