Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When using Android Auto; are all of the audio options on the built in radio available for listening? I mean FM radio, USB files, Sirius XM and bluetooth audio from another source.

Looking at a AWD Touring so it will have the built in Garmin navigation.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Android Auto is an audio source in and of itself, within which you only have Andorid Apps available. If you want to listen to something else, you go through the car's audio interface, and then go back into Android Auto for whatever else you were doing with it (e.g. Nav.)

·
Registered
185 Posts
When using Android Auto; are all of the audio options on the built in radio available for listening? I mean FM radio, USB files, Sirius XM and bluetooth audio from another source.

Looking at a AWD Touring so it will have the built in Garmin navigation.
Yes. You use the up and down arrow buttons on the left side of the steering wheel to change your source while Android Auto is running. It's also possible that you'd be able to jump out of AA and change the source using the touchscreen, then jump back in, but I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I only get a few icons on android auto screen. None of which is play music nor is Goggle maps there. I've been through the hard copy manual and the online manual. My phone is an LG from Tracfone. How do those apps get propagated across the android auto app screen. I even went to the android auto site, not much info there. I got Hondalink to see my phone too, but it just puts car info on my phone's screen. any ideas or help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You need to have the apps you want to appear on Android Auto downloaded on your phone itself such as Google Maps, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Google Play Music, Amazon music, etc. Android Auto works off the apps you have previously downloaded on your phone.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Most of your choices are the icons along the bottom of the screen; there's one for Nav (that runs a special version of Google Maps), one for the phone, one for audio (provided by Apps which are Android-Auto approved, but all use a standardized Android Auto interface to deliver the content), and one that sends you back to the car's menu system (that's the one that looks like a guage.) In addition to the ones that are accessed via icons, you can send a text message using notifications and voice controls, same as you would while holding the phone in your hand.

What apps were you expecting to see? Something like Facebook?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks sirwired and stevevt... that was what I wanted to know. I had read some reports a while back of early android auto head units that would not play any of their own audio while android auto was active.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You need to have the apps you want to appear on Android Auto downloaded on your phone itself such as Google Maps, iHeart Radio, Spotify, Google Play Music, Amazon music, etc. Android Auto works off the apps you have previously downloaded on your phone.
I've got all those as they came with the phone, I just don't see them on the head set. i see a generic browser, app downloader, and I forgot the other 2. I don't see the screen that's in the manual. and nothing across bottom of screen. I have deleted and reloaded android auto to phone too.
I have worked with all size of computers main frames, workstations, multiple operating systems, Linux, windows,android tablets and smartphones. Android is so light that I wanted to get latest version on smartphone, but that is lame with info to do. How does AA find those apps, do I have download them to the head set in the car from my smartphone. If there is a real tech manual I would eat that alive. the UI is not great for all these things wanting to talk to one another. (sorry for the rant). maybe it's simpler than I'm making it to be.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've got all those as they came with the phone, I just don't see them on the head set. i see a generic browser, app downloader, and I forgot the other 2. I don't see the screen that's in the manual. and nothing across bottom of screen. I have deleted and reloaded android auto to phone too.
I have worked with all size of computers main frames, workstations, multiple operating systems, Linux, windows,android tablets and smartphones. Android is so light that I wanted to get latest version on smartphone, but that is lame with info to do. How does AA find those apps, do I have download them to the head set in the car from my smartphone. If there is a real tech manual I would eat that alive. the UI is not great for all these things wanting to talk to one another. (sorry for the rant). maybe it's simpler than I'm making it to be.
It sounds like you're not actually running Android Auto. Try this:
https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/6348029?hl=en

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
You don't download the apps to the car; the car's head unit merely acts as a front-end for the apps, (and the main AA interface), all of which run inside the phone, and merely provide screen data over USB.

If your phone is set up properly and works with the car's head unit, you just plug it in via USB to the front driver's side USB port (no others), and your phone will then prompt you to start Android Auto setup. After that point, you just push the Android Auto button on the head unit screen to start it (after plugging the phone in.)

·
Registered
128 Posts
https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/6348029?hl=en
did all that same result. I did uninstall of AA on phone, restarted phone, downloaded AA and installed. I have phone plugged in correct usb slot. car is on park, turn engine on and it doesn't see any smartphone connected. BUT on the phone menu option the phone is on the list. I turned data on, then phone beeps once, then icons flash on phone top menubar and beeps then back to menubar flashing, over and over. maybe it's time for the car to go to the dealer and get a few things looked at(rear defroster doesn't work). or it could be usb cable, or maybe bluetooth should be off and let AA on phone turn BT on. I'm suspicious this could be something simple that I have overlooked. maybe I will try my wife's Samsung to see if its any better.

·
Registered
185 Posts
did all that same result. I did uninstall of AA on phone, restarted phone, downloaded AA and installed. I have phone plugged in correct usb slot. car is on park, turn engine on and it doesn't see any smartphone connected. BUT on the phone menu option the phone is on the list. I turned data on, then phone beeps once, then icons flash on phone top menubar and beeps then back to menubar flashing, over and over. maybe it's time for the car to go to the dealer and get a few things looked at(rear defroster doesn't work). or it could be usb cable, or maybe bluetooth should be off and let AA on phone turn BT on. I'm suspicious this could be something simple that I have overlooked. maybe I will try my wife's Samsung to see if its any better.
If you're near S. Burlington, you can swing by and I'm happy to get you up and running.

·
Registered
1 Posts

support.google.com/androidauto/answer/6348029?hl=en

Thanks for the pointer to the Google doc. I wasn't able to get my 2017 CRV-EX L to connect with my Galaxy Note 4 at first. The page mentioned that you should try another USB cable. After scrounging through junk drawers I returned to my car with 5 USB cables. The third one worked, and the phone and CRV display both responded. Seems to be working fine now. So quality of the cable matters. As an engineer that surprised and slightly disturbed me...

Some else asked if you can use car audio while Android navigation is running and the answer is yes. Turn by turn directions still appear on the dash display while head unit (AM/FM/Sirius) audio plays.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just emailed you.
Steve,
I sent em to you. It was USB cable, it didn't like being in the car.
I turned data on, plugged in phone, started car and then everything took off on the radio, followed the screens directions, answered some questions on my phone and everything works. thanks for your push. Al

·
Registered
185 Posts
Steve,
I sent em to you. It was USB cable, it didn't like being in the car.
I turned data on, plugged in phone, started car and then everything took off on the radio, followed the screens directions, answered some questions on my phone and everything works. thanks for your push. Al
Glad to hear it!

Have fun with Android Auto.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why can't they allow Apple Music to play with Android Auto? I have no issues with Google Music, Amazon Music, or Spotify. But my family has a subscription to Apple Music of course.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Google would likely welcome it. Their busineas model is gathering big data about you for advertising. Apple would never do it. They make money on hardware (primarily) and software and media. They need to keep everything locked up in their tight little eco system or you might stop buying the hardware.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts