Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Android Auto trbl-2017 CRV doesn't "see" my phone anymore; tried new USB cables

I had Android Auto working initially but now it's not in the Home or Source menu anymore and the car doesn't "see" my cell plugged into it anymore. I tried different USB cables. I'm in the left USB with the phone on it. The car does connect to the phone thru Bluetooth however. The app is updated on my phone. Any ideas what's wrong?

·
Registered
96 Posts
If the restart is not working, go to settings(infotainment) and see if the phone is disabled for Android Auto use. Happened to me once after a software update on the phone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been fixing this by doing a head unit restart. It definitely has to do with plugging or unplugging the phone at the "wrong" time (when car turns on or off, etc.) Maybe it's just my Moto g4

·
Registered
430 Posts
I noticed that if I plug in my phone too early, it will likely have connection problems. My technique to ensure a consistent connection is the following:

1. Start the engine
2. Allow the bluetooth to connect to the phone and car automatically
3. Only after the bluetooth connection is established, then I plug the usb connector into the phone.

As far as apps: For now google maps is the only map option. Waze is anticipated to become android auto compatible later this year.
My music apps work fine: spotify, pandora, tunein radio, google play music.
To switch music apps, hit the headphone icon which will switch you to the first music app. Then the headphone icon will now show a small down arrow next to it. Hit it again, and it will show the other music apps so you can switch to them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ahh, thanks guys,

AA is the one of the reason I've waited and gone for but it is painful so far.
I thought it just simply plugs and plays.
First time, it worked, then it refused to work anymore.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've had the same problem with AA on my CRV. This was one of the features I waited for - a must have for me. I have a Pixel XL, the flagship phone from Google. It has the latest version of Android and is updated monthly. The phone connects to the car and works for a while, then crashes and restarts. Once this happens the phone won't reconnect with the car. Wiping data on the phone is the only way I've found to reconnect, wiping data for the AA app doesn't do it. I'm sure there is an easier way but I haven't found it. I've read that these problems started with Android 7.0, not sure about that, I used it on my phone but didn't have an AA capable car until recently. I'm pretty disappointed that a feature/app that is such a major part of the Android system is that buggy. My son has a Pixel on a different carrier and it has the same problems in my car. It connects and works for a while then crashes and won't reconnect. I'd like to know how AA works for others and what phone you use.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've had the same problem with AA on my CRV. This was one of the features I waited for - a must have for me. I have a Pixel XL, the flagship phone from Google. It has the latest version of Android and is updated monthly. The phone connects to the car and works for a while, then crashes and restarts. Once this happens the phone won't reconnect with the car. Wiping data on the phone is the only way I've found to reconnect, wiping data for the AA app doesn't do it. I'm sure there is an easier way but I haven't found it. I've read that these problems started with Android 7.0, not sure about that, I used it on my phone but didn't have an AA capable car until recently. I'm pretty disappointed that a feature/app that is such a major part of the Android system is that buggy. My son has a Pixel on a different carrier and it has the same problems in my car. It connects and works for a while then crashes and won't reconnect. I'd like to know how AA works for others and what phone you use.
I have a Pixel XL and it works great for AA in my CR-V.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My car started replacing my Android Auto with Cell Phone Connection several days ago. When I clicked on cell phone connection it would report that my phone was not connected. Yet it was charging. So I changed cables, same behavior. Then I went into my phone connections. Although it listed my current phone my previous phone (changed months ago) was listed as active. I changed it to my current phone being active and it has worked like a charm since.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Do you have the beta version of google maps on your phone? I had the same issue and it was fixed when I replaced the beta version with the latest stable version.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I do have the beta version of Maps. I don't think my son does, but I will go with the stable version and give it a try. Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a Pixel XL and it works great for AA in my CR-V.
Same. Ocassionally when I start the car, I have to unplug and re-plug the phone, but otherwise works perfectly. I had major issues on Android O beta, so I reverted. Might be fixed in the latest beta though. Also heard beta Google Maps caused issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I noticed that if I plug in my phone too early, it will likely have connection problems. My technique to ensure a consistent connection is the following:

1. Start the engine
2. Allow the bluetooth to connect to the phone and car automatically
3. Only after the bluetooth connection is established, then I plug the usb connector into the phone.

As far as apps: For now google maps is the only map option. Waze is anticipated to become android auto compatible later this year.
My music apps work fine: spotify, pandora, tunein radio, google play music.
To switch music apps, hit the headphone icon which will switch you to the first music app. Then the headphone icon will now show a small down arrow next to it. Hit it again, and it will show the other music apps so you can switch to them.
This is what I've learned too - it was so annoying getting the "No devices connected" error before figuring out this procedure

1 - 20 of 78 Posts