Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Honda:

I just bought a new 2016 Honda CR-V Touring with added accessories. I was very troubled to learn that your interface to an Android device is very limited. It seems you made the car for the iPhone only! I was so hoping that the 2016 was going to have Android Auto but alas, it didn't and for that I am very disappointed.

In the meantime, can we please have some upgraded firmware functionality to make the head unit work with Android devices?

·
Registered
453 Posts
iPhone users are not thrilled with the audio either :(.

I think you will find the infotainment system on the CRVs are frustrating.

Honda has not been very responsive to iPhone users who want CarPlay. I wish you the best of luck in getting Android Audio.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Honda put Android Auto (and Apple Car Play) in many of their other models, but not the 2015/2016 CRV model. Rumor has it that this will be added with the 2017 design change. The integration is currently poor, but with a good bracket on the dash you can mount your phone there and use it instead of the Honda provided electronics. (see other thread)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honda put Android Auto (and Apple Car Play) in many of their other models, but not the 2015/2016 CRV model. Rumor has it that this will be added with the 2017 design change. The integration is currently poor, but with a good bracket on the dash you can mount your phone there and use it instead of the Honda provided electronics. (see other thread)
Further rumors indicate that the 2017 CR-V is going to seat 7 and be larger and much more costly too.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It’s so frustrating how slow car manufacturers are adopting Android Auto and Apple Carplay. I wonder exactly what is holding them back.
Is it licensing fees? But wouldn’t they be saving a ton of money as well since they no longer have to develop and support their own crappy proprietary system?
Is it just the need to develop and test out the system? If so, then why does an aftermarket head unit work so flawlessly? Seems it’s just plug-n-play to me.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It’s so frustrating how slow car manufacturers are adopting Android Auto and Apple Carplay. I wonder exactly what is holding them back.
Is it licensing fees? But wouldn’t they be saving a ton of money as well since they no longer have to develop and support their own crappy proprietary system?
Is it just the need to develop and test out the system? If so, then why does an aftermarket head unit work so flawlessly? Seems it’s just plug-n-play to me.
It is plug and play. They tested Apple Car Play on the 2015 models.

My guess is that they are slow to deploy as this is a new concept for car makers. They have always controlled the radio. I think satellite radio took awhile to be adopted also. Though, several cars have moved to it this year (Android Auto and CarPlay). I expect far more will next year.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Further rumors indicate that the 2017 CR-V is going to seat 7 and be larger and much more costly too.
It is very unlikely the US version will get a third row.

I would LOVE to see Honda offer a CarPlay (and Android Auto for those fans) update for the 2016/2015.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there any chance that assuming enough owners of 2016 crv's and before lobby Honda to provide an upgrade that would implement android auto and apple car play. I truly hope so, I have liked the crv's, but their not doing this is a deal breaker for me, I'll look at other car makers, very disappointed with the dealer that talked me into this 2016 model. I just had an opportunity to drive a chevy rental car with android auto and i absolutely loved it. Come on Honda CRV Owners, lobby your dealers and Honda Corp to provide some way to implement android auto in these models, i'd pay a couple hundred to have it work properly. Does anyone know if there is an after market product that will work, I'm really disappointed with Honda's entire 'radio' approach. Sygic is a total waste, always froze my phone for hours after a short trip, and of course the battery drained to almost nothing, it's pretty worthless very glad i didn't purchase it. Even our Honda dealer now admits that the apple interface with the $100 hdmi / usb and $60 software is pretty worthless. Come on Honda, keep me as a customer, address this android auto and apple car play for at least the 2016 crv's.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Is there any chance that assuming enough owners of 2016 crv's and before lobby Honda to provide an upgrade that would implement android auto and apple car play. I truly hope so, I have liked the crv's, but their not doing this is a deal breaker for me, I'll look at other car makers, very disappointed with the dealer that talked me into this 2016 model. I just had an opportunity to drive a chevy rental car with android auto and i absolutely loved it. Come on Honda CRV Owners, lobby your dealers and Honda Corp to provide some way to implement android auto in these models, i'd pay a couple hundred to have it work properly. Does anyone know if there is an after market product that will work, I'm really disappointed with Honda's entire 'radio' approach. Sygic is a total waste, always froze my phone for hours after a short trip, and of course the battery drained to almost nothing, it's pretty worthless very glad i didn't purchase it. Even our Honda dealer now admits that the apple interface with the $100 hdmi / usb and $60 software is pretty worthless. Come on Honda, keep me as a customer, address this android auto and apple car play for at least the 2016 crv's.
I don't see this happening. I find myself wondering if the head unit from a '16 Accord couldn't be made to fit? Might take some doing.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Is there any chance that assuming enough owners of 2016 crv's and before lobby Honda to provide an upgrade that would implement android auto and apple car play.
Absolutely not. The closest that Honda ever came to this was offering a beta test of CarPlay to a small number of 2015 CR-V owners. The beta test ended and was never offered to the public. Honda never explained why, but there were reports of slow performance and conflicts with the LaneWatch camera. The 2016 CR-V is a discontinued model that is no longer manufactured. Honda guarantees it will operate as-designed during the warranty period. They have no obligation to retroactively add features to a vehicle - the industry hasn't worked like that, although there are a few exceptions beginning to appear. Here are some examples:

1. Tesla is known to issue software updates that add new features to existing models.
2. Kia/Hyundai offers a CarPlay retrofit to select models going back to 2014. Owners report a less-than-ideal experience on the older hardware, though.
3. Ford recently announced an OBD II dongle that adds some telematics features to certain Ford and Lincoln models dating back to 2010.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone tried the Sony XAV-AX100 (or some other after market head unit)? I have a 2016 touring and wonder if it maintains all steering wheel controls and use of both cameras.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the 2017 Honda CRV. It comes with Android auto and apple but it does not work well. I am increadibly frustrated and upset at how poorly it performs (when I can get it to work at all). Have tried switching out the cords. have been to the dealership... I am getting ready to buy a $200 GPS so I have something in my car that works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts