Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, is there anyone here having same rattling noise under the dashboard when driving on uneven road or bumps, tried to look for it but cant find it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nothing that I have noticed but the v is my wife’s car. Trust me she would have told me if there was lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
The rattle comes from the heater core. There is a fix where they install a plastic piece that stabilizes the hoses on the engine side of the firewall. It should be a warranty fix with the TSB that Traylaw posted above.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May be that is the cause, but i tried to move and shake the tube but i cant produce the rattling noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
May be that is the cause, but i tried to move and shake the tube but i cant produce the rattling noise.
I just noticed a similar rattle in my '17 EXL on rough/gravel roads. It first sounded like it was in the driver side door or up near the A pillar, but I finally traced it to the steering column. It's a rattle/buzz sound, and only appears on rough roads, or oil/chip surfaces. I found if I put a bit of pressure on the bottom of the steering column the sound goes away. I also can get it to change intensity/pitch by adjusting the steering wheel into a different position. I just noticed it, and haven't even mentioned it to the dealer yet. I also haven't looked to see if it is just something I can tighten up or stick a piece of foam in to muffle the sound.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just noticed a similar rattle in my '17 EXL on rough/gravel roads. It first sounded like it was in the driver side door or up near the A pillar, but I finally traced it to the steering column. It's a rattle/buzz sound, and only appears on rough roads, or oil/chip surfaces. I found if I put a bit of pressure on the bottom of the steering column the sound goes away. I also can get it to change intensity/pitch by adjusting the steering wheel into a different position. I just noticed it, and haven't even mentioned it to the dealer yet. I also haven't looked to see if it is just something I can tighten up or stick a piece of foam in to muffle the sound.
I will try that too and hope to get rid of it. Thank you

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a similar noise that I thought was coming from the drivers door and I told the dealer when I took it in for it's first oil change. They found a small pebble was on the bottom of the windshield near next to the driver's door on the outside and it was vibrating on coarse pavement. They removed the pebble and the noise was gone after that. The pebble was where the hood comes up high and the wind would never blow it away when driving.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm taking my 2017 CRV Touring in tomorrow for an engine oil leak. I'll also tell them about a rattling noise that appears to be coming from the center of the dashboard. I hear it when I drive over bumpy road surfaces. I've emptied the glove compartment and center console but I still hear it. I'll let you know what (if anything) they say.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm taking my 2017 CRV Touring in tomorrow for an engine oil leak. I'll also tell them about a rattling noise that appears to be coming from the center of the dashboard. I hear it when I drive over bumpy road surfaces. I've emptied the glove compartment and center console but I still hear it. I'll let you know what (if anything) they say.

Hi did you found out from the dealer what it was?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Solved Rattle myself after so many days of being annoyed from rattle by placing insulation foam Now I can enjoy my ride and music.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I have the same issue that this thread is discussing. When I go over bumps, I hear a rattle somewhere in (or in front of) the dash.

Here's all the information I can contribute:

1. The rattle has the hefty, resonant sound of metal on metal. I don't know 100% that it's metal, but it's definitely not a couple of small interior plastic parts rubbing on each other.

2. I can hear it from 2 distinct locations: one sounds like it's in front of the driver, the other sounds like it's in front of the passenger. I have heard it repeatedly from these same 2 locations. and never from anywhere else. This implies to me that it is some part (or pair of parts) that is symmetrical across the centerline of the vehicle.

3. Both locations don't always make noise on the same bump; it's often one place or the other making the sound. I haven't been able to tell if the sound comes from a different location based on which tire hits the bump (e.g. if the front-left tire went over the bump vs if the front-right tire).

4. I don't think the problem is the glove box rattling mentioned elsewhere on this forum for the following reasons: (1) it sounds too far forward to be the glove box (2) it occurs on the driver's side (3) it sounds too hefty to be plastic on plastic.

5. I don't think it's the RPM-based sound mentioned in TSB 17-054 because it never happens when idling without moving the vehicle. It's definitely caused by going over bumps.

6. The rattling seems to be more frequent in cold temperatures. The temps have fluctuated back-and-forth between 60F and 9F over the last couple weeks, and the noises are much more frequent in the cold and almost non-existent when the temps are high in that range.

7. Once the issue began happening (about 3 weeks ago), it has happened quite regularly and repeatably. Put another way, the problem had a quick and obvious onset; it didn't start slowly over time. However, now that the rattle has started, it slowly comes and goes based on temperature (as stated above). This implies that something came loose or otherwise changed positions, and is now thermally expanding/contracting to contact a nearby object.

I don't have any meaningful solutions or troubleshooting suggestions, but hopefully my experiences can help us collectively diagnose this issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes! I am having this on my new 2018 EX-L with 5300 miles on it! Took to the dealer today, they can hear it but can't locate where it's coming from exactly. Have to take it back next week. Sounds like it's near steering wheel, instrument panel area and I can hear it when driving on rough asphalt. Did you ever get yours fixed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes! I am having this on my new 2018 EX-L with 5300 miles on it! Took to the dealer today, they can hear it but can't locate where it's coming from exactly. Have to take it back next week. Sounds like it's near steering wheel, instrument panel area and I can hear it when driving on rough asphalt. Did you ever get yours fixed?
I had a similar issue on my 2017 EX-L, a rattle or buzz coming from somewhere near the steering wheel. I finally tracked it down to between the steering column and the dash on the left hand side. When you hear the rattle, slide your hand down the side of the steering column between the column and lower dash and put just a small amount of pressure on it. The rattle/buzz should cease.

I fixed this by sliding a piece of soft packing foam on each side of the steering column and lower dash. I used black foam, so you can't see it. If you use yellow or pink, it will be visible when looking down the side of the column. Even with steering wheel adjustments, the foam has stayed in place. But you could probably secure it to one side with some double sided tape if you so desired.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts