Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2018 EX has this rattle too. I don’t hear it over every bump. It’s mostly a slight ‘clank’ sound when I go over a small bump or pothole. It’s funny as it generally only
happens on shallow dips but less so with larger bumps or holes. It’s gotten to the point that I can tell in advance which type of bump on the road can cause it. Usually noticeable at low-medium speeds. Drives me nuts so would love to figure out the cause.

To me it sounds like it’s coming from the driver’s side wheel area or so.

I took it in a few week after buying the car but the dealership said they couldn’t hear anything abnormal. I could see them not hearing it if they drove over smooth roads. I asked them to look again during my winter tire swap and they said the struts/bushings/shocks visually looked fine too.

·
Registered
844 Posts
It is quite a bit warmer today than it has been. I don't hear the rattle. Someone mentioned the occurrence being temperature based...
I have it and noticed in winter it stopped once the cabin warmed up. If I get bored next January I'll pull the dash apart and investigate.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
ucr2027

I have a 2015 CRV and have that annoying sound behind the dash also. The only thing different is that occurs all the time and it gets louder the faster you travel. Help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to put this in a separate post, but I need to get to 5 posts to post link.
I've visited my dealer for the issue twice now, each time they just brushed off the problem. The second time, I talked to the tech in the workshop with car on the lift. It's was really loud in there, so we took a test drive together. I tried to convince him that the rattle is not normal, but didn't really push hard I didn't really expect them to be able to diagnose the issue in that really load environment unless it's something obvious. My dash cam confirmed that he did spend about 15 minutes checking the car before talking to me, so whatever the problem is, it is not something in plain sight and they probably won't be able to find anything even tearing my otherwise fine car apart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Outside the car, it's difficult to hear the rattle due to engine noise. I ran audio spectrum analysis to see if I can still spot the rattling signature (bright bar at around 2200Hz and its harmonics), but it's still hard to tell if the rattle is there when I record from the engine bay and under the car. Maybe because the engine background noise is too strong. So I don't know if it's interior rattle or something from outside that passes through to the inside that doesn't get muffled as well as engine noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also have a rattle on my 2018 Honda Cr-V Touring model. It has been with the car since new and have taken it into two dealers 3 times to try and get it fixed. It comes from the area close to the wheel adjust mechanism. This last time the dealer oiled a spring in the driving column and claimed it was fixed. It was better, but has since recurred. This dealer did not return the car with all the parts in this dashboard area -- two panels were left off. They have promised to order new ones but I am discouraged with this kind of service.
When the plastic bar that supports some part of the dash is pressed, the noise disappears. This small bar is directly behind the wheel adjust lever and you can feel it from the driver's side. Have told this 3 times to the 2 dealers but they have not been able to analyze the problem.
This is my first Honda and will not be purchasing another if this is the kind of repair that Honda dealers perform. It is a small problem but I do not want to spend a great deal of time bringing the dealer up to speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
BTW:
My rattle is definitely affected by temperature. When cold to very cold it will not sound. It appears upon bumps when the temperature is normal and sounds like a plastic rattle of two plastic parts rubbing together.

·
Registered
112 Posts
BTW:
My rattle is definitely affected by temperature. When cold to very cold it will not sound. It appears upon bumps when the temperature is normal and sounds like a plastic rattle of two plastic parts rubbing together.
I think MMA Don got the diagnosis right in that case. That sounds much louder than most muffler rattles I’ve beard IMO. I’m sure everyone has seen those low sedan and minivans with rattling mufflers you can hear and see shaking over bumps.

Worst case scenario it could be engine related. I’ve got a much quieter rattle around that rpm on my ford. I’ve put hundreds of thousands of miles on that car since then and nothing has changed. It only comes on occasionally on cold start, especially on a bumpy incline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Suggest you re-read my posts. The rattle is a plastic sound coming from the dashboard itself; it is not at all the sound of a muffler.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The rattling noise just came back again. I am in NY, the car is a 2018 CRV EXL. It will only appear when the temperature is higher. During the winter I didn't hear it too much. Took the car to dealer multiple times but they just said they could not hear it..

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The rattling noise just came back again. I am in NY, the car is a 2018 CRV EXL. It will only appear when the temperature is higher. During the winter I didn't hear it too much. Took the car to dealer multiple times but they just said they could not hear it..
Have the service tech drive with you...try to show him what you do to create the noise...if you hear it and he doesn't FIND A NEW DEALER

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have the service tech drive with you...try to show him what you do to create the noise...if you hear it and he doesn't FIND A NEW DEALER
Genesis: Have tried exactly what you suggest and still have the rattle but part of the car is now missing. Have filled out the Honda service questionnaire and suggested to them they need to analyze and solve this issue. We'll see if they respond.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I am admittedly a fiend for tracking down and squelching rattles and squeaks. I even put every small item in my glove box in ziplocks so they do not bump and rattle together to make noises as the vehicle goes down the road, and the flashlight in the glove box is rubberized as well. :)

What I do when I have one is I have my wife drive while I move around and listen to localize the location. Once that is done, and I think I have found it.. I will spray a tiny amount of teflon lock lubricant at the suspect and then do a rinse and repeat drive test until I know I have gotten it. This approach won't work for something buried inside a panel or dash where I cannot apply the teflon spray... but honestly I have never had that issue so far.

Heh... just last week.. I noticed my wifes Accord had a squeak in the trunk lid when it was opened and raised.. so it was me and the Teflon lock lubricant spray to the rescue. Found it, nailed it, and back to factory specs.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts