Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Can someone take a look at the video I took, and confirm if it's the same noise you guys are hearing?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ke_BADR6pM
That does NOT sound good lol
I had a little plastic tapping sound that would annoy the F out of me...
Thought it was the bumper , thought it was the trim.. i brought in for an oil change and mentioned it he looked but didnt care.

So i looked up the tsb for some rattle, ordered the part for a few dollars and did it myself and also noticed that the shroud over my drivers side fender was moved a bit, locked that in place and never rattled again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recorded a short video of the noise, but it is less clear once it is recorded..
I have a 2018 EX-L and, although it is somewhat hard to tell for sure, I believe the sound in your video is the same sound I am experiencing. It is very difficult for me to pinpoint the source of the sound. If I figure anything out I will provide an update. Thanks to you and others who are posting on this rattling sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 EX-L that has a rattle or chirping on the drivers side dash area also. The chirping/rattling is more noticeable on asphalt gravel pavement. Any updates on what it could be?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I have a 2018 EX-L that has a rattle or chirping on the drivers side dash area also. The chirping/rattling is more noticeable on asphalt gravel pavement. Any updates on what it could be?
With all the plastic parts in these new vehicles.. it could be anything. All that is needed is a sleight misfit or pinching between parts, and vibrations will cause little noises and chirps.

Best approach would be to try pressing various parts of the dash area while the noise is active and see if you are able to localize it to a small area first. Then you can do a more complete inspection while parked, looking for anything that is a bit off visually. This likely will not help with a noise source that is under the dash somewhere... but it's worth a try.

If you are able to localize it, the next step would be to add some small amount of lubricant to the localized area and see if that solves it. I would use a bit of beeswax as my first choice for this, if the squeak is on an accessible surface. If it is buried inside a duct of something... that's a bit more of a problem.. and perhaps a small spray of teflon lock lubricant would work in that case. I would not use any petroleum based lubricants as they may degrade the dash components over time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also have a rattle on my 2018 Honda Cr-V Touring model. It has been with the car since new and have taken it into two dealers 3 times to try and get it fixed. It comes from the area close to the wheel adjust mechanism. This last time the dealer oiled a spring in the driving column and claimed it was fixed. It was better, but has since recurred. This dealer did not return the car with all the parts in this dashboard area -- two panels were left off. They have promised to order new ones but I am discouraged with this kind of service.
When the plastic bar that supports some part of the dash is pressed, the noise disappears. This small bar is directly behind the wheel adjust lever and you can feel it from the driver's side. Have told this 3 times to the 2 dealers but they have not been able to analyze the problem.
This is my first Honda and will not be purchasing another if this is the kind of repair that Honda dealers perform. It is a small problem but I do not want to spend a great deal of time bringing the dealer up to speed.
My experience has been similar. No solution. First and last Honda-horrible dealer repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is annoying, mine has been doing it over most bumps. It seems more pronounced when the left front wheel hits uneven spots. It is definitely a metallic rattle. This would not be caused by heater core hoses, and is independent of engine RPM. It sounds like the hood prop post could make that sound but mine seems secure.
Hello, I have the same issue with my 2018. Have you found any reliable information or a fix? I would like to avoid the dealer. Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine still makes the chirping sound on certain pavements over 35 mph. To me...it sounds like the speedometer needle on the older vehicles when they rattle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There seems to be a lot of rattles reported by people, but in my case, I live in the Canadian cold and when the temps drop below freezing, there is an annoying rattle that I hear mainly from the driver front side when going over shallow bumps, almost like it's coming from the windshield. Very annoying ... Well I just came back from a dealer (who now has my business) and they took 5 minutes of my time to tell me that they receive many many reports of rattles like mine and it is due to the plastic cap on top of the shock mounting bolt. He removed both drivers and pax side caps and I feel like I have a new car again - finally, no more rattles. He told me it took them almost a day of troubleshooting on one car before they found this workaround.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2019 CRV EXL Not experiencing the same noise, however my noise comes from I think the lower dash area when applying the brake a very slow speed and when vehicle comes to a stop. The noise sounds just like a marble is rolling around on plastic???? Does anyone have the same problem?

·
Registered
208 Posts
There seems to be a lot of rattles reported by people, but in my case, I live in the Canadian cold and when the temps drop below freezing, there is an annoying rattle that I hear mainly from the driver front side when going over shallow bumps, almost like it's coming from the windshield. Very annoying ... Well I just came back from a dealer (who now has my business) and they took 5 minutes of my time to tell me that they receive many many reports of rattles like mine and it is due to the plastic cap on top of the shock mounting bolt. He removed both drivers and pax side caps and I feel like I have a new car again - finally, no more rattles. He told me it took them almost a day of troubleshooting on one car before they found this workaround.
Had the same problem and the fix was indeed the plastic cap of the shock mounting bolt as per the Honda dealer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Problem Solved
See post:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine still makes the chirping sound on certain pavements over 35 mph. To me...it sounds like the speedometer needle on the older vehicles when they rattle.
Hi BethAnn, my CRV has the exact same problem (and it's loud), going at high speeds. Did you ever get your issue fixed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi...haven't visted this site in awhile. Went most of the Winter without the rattle. Now that we are having warm days here in Texas I noticed it's starting back up on gravely pavement at around 35 mph. I noticed above they are mentioning a plastic cap on a shock? It sounds more like pocket change rattling. I've emptied my glove box, middle console and pushed on the dash and under the steering wheel to try to locate it. I just don't know :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, is there anyone here having same rattling noise under the dashboard when driving on uneven road or bumps, tried to look for it but cant find it.
Yes , that rattle was making me mad. I finally took it to the dealership. They drove it and we eventually got it to start rattling. The technician immediately said that it sounds like the suspension, maybe the strut. They had it for a couple of hours and went through an tightened everything. They did not know if they fixed it, but I have not heard anything rattling since taking it home and driving it on some rather bumpy roads. I thought that it was inside, but it was outside the compartment. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My noise is strictly when I apply brakes at slow speed. Sounds like a ping pong ball rolling around on plastic. Then I do not hear it for quite a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi...haven't visted this site in awhile. Went most of the Winter without the rattle. Now that we are having warm days here in Texas I noticed it's starting back up on gravely pavement at around 35 mph. I noticed above they are mentioning a plastic cap on a shock? It sounds more like pocket change rattling. I've emptied my glove box, middle console and pushed on the dash and under the steering wheel to try to locate it. I just don't know :(
BethAnn, I think I have every rattle possible - a rattle similar to the one people are talking about from the shock just started a few days ago, I have one from the glovebox, and another on the driver's side. I think the one on the drivers side is from the plastic piece covering the fuse box (where the gas and hood release are). I've been driving around without that piece for a few days and I'm not hearing the noise.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's the strut cap making the noise
Please read the following post for the solution:

·
Registered
2004 CRV EX MT, 2006 CRV EX AT, 2007 Odyssey EX-L AT, 2017 CRV EX-L AT
27 Posts
It's the strut cap making the noise
Please read the following post for the solution:

What a lifesaver. Thank you for this. I had this noise start gradually after about 3-ish months of owning the car, getting louder and more persistent. Now I know that it had something to do with going in to winter and colder temperatures. For me, it was in the right front of the dash on the passenger side. I removed both strut caps just in case, and never a noise since.

My fear was that it was a bracket under the dash that had cracked/broken, and that over time I would have a much bigger problem.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts