Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to service my car myself this year as I am finding it rather expensive to get it done in the garage as I find parts online for services are quite cheap. Also wondering whether or not K and N air filter and other filter I.e. fuel, if available are better than the standard for the price you pay.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Shopping for the filters online should get you better prices than at your Honda dealer or a local parts store.

I would not put a K&N filter in my CR-V. One of the things they claim is that it lets more air into your engine so it performs better. It lets more air in by having larger "holes" in the filter material, which also means it lets more particulate matter into the engine (aka dirt).

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
x2 what racoon said.

These days the factory engineers are smart enough to allow enough airflow through the stock-style filters. Don't know what year your V is, but it probably won't be worth the expense to buy (and maintain) a K&N.

If your V is newish, the ECU will compensate other settings for more airflow, so what's the point. <DUCKS>

My rule of thumb for replacement parts is "Don't pay Main Dealer prices, but don't get the cheapest either"

·
Registered
353 Posts
I second Racoon's & Carbuff2's recommendations with the following addenda:

1. Purchase the shop manual for your model. Will save you more 🕰, 💰, & 🛏 than you can imagine. First car we bought had a malfunctioning electric window. Using shop manual, took door apart to find & tighten 2 loose bolts. Total time spent was about 45 minutes. You can guess what the dealership would have charged.

2. Don't skimp on the tools you'll be using the most. Buying a $10 wrench that lasts many years beats buying a $7 wrench that fails after 2 years,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for saving me money on not buying the k&n filter. I'm going to shop around for filters too. Has anyone noticed that the turbo whistles a lot or is that the car saying something is wrong going on?

Oh and my V is a 2008

1 - 6 of 6 Posts