Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks everyone for the great feedback on this battery issue from your personal stories. I appreciate it. The car is good now with the new battery so we will have to wait and see how it goes. I am going to make an effort to start using the parking brake more often.

I really do love the car and all the tech that likely killed the battery. lol

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Since the superhot summers seemed to have accelerated in the last few years here, I've had a rash of battery failures, where batteries, no matter how expensive, high end, or what make, have failed prematurely, I started buying batteries with a three year warranty, as SOP. It is paid off handsomely. Since then I've had batteries go bad in anywhere from six months to two years, and had each one replaced free. So far, so good. Also of note is that not one battery has lasted quite two years in the last ten years or more. I suspect a decline in overall quality, but also a weather effect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all. 2017 ex 45k miles. Last couple weeks went to start car and dead battery. My VIN is NOT in the list of cars listed for the TSB for the parasitic battery drain. Before the last time it died (sitting in the driveway now) I smelled a sulfur smell in the car. Like rotten eggs. Others have suggested it might be the catalytic converter. Could something wrong with then emissions / fuel system cause battery drain? Or would a low battery cause the catalytic converter or fuel system can cause the smell?
I have to say I do recall about a month ago accidentally engaging the parking brake. I shut it right off. But others have said this might be the issue with the drain. I never use the brake.

I have the extended Honda care warranty and will likely take to the dealer. But I suspect they will just overcharge me a for anew battery and call it a day. I really believe there is a big issue here. I should get many more miles out of this battery.

I suspect the extended warranty would NOT cover a new battery?
Thanks
Hello all. 2017 ex 45k miles. Last couple weeks went to start car and dead battery. My VIN is NOT in the list of cars listed for the TSB for the parasitic battery drain. Before the last time it died (sitting in the driveway now) I smelled a sulfur smell in the car. Like rotten eggs. Others have suggested it might be the catalytic converter. Could something wrong with then emissions / fuel system cause battery drain? Or would a low battery cause the catalytic converter or fuel system can cause the smell?
I have to say I do recall about a month ago accidentally engaging the parking brake. I shut it right off. But others have said this might be the issue with the drain. I never use the brake.

I have the extended Honda care warranty and will likely take to the dealer. But I suspect they will just overcharge me a for anew battery and call it a day. I really believe there is a big issue here. I should get many more miles out of this battery.

Thanks
Was wondering if you use a key fob. Perhaps accidentally you have left the key fob in the car or close proximity.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So. I took it to the dealer last night. It sat in the lot until around 11am this morning before they looked at it. Surprise surprise.. They call at 3 and It is the battery. So they are going to replace it and they say that will fix the issue. So I see myself like others on several of the other forums heading back to the dealer 3 or 4 times with a dead battery. There is definitely something wrong with this car and they claim it is the battery. So I sucked it up and bought it from them to get the 8 year coverage. They claim it is not covered under my extended warranty and I will certainly raise hell like the last thing that was supposedly not covered. I wish I did not have to play these games with the dealers.
One other possibility. We used to have a 2014 Ford Fusion. We ended up getting two new batteries within a four year time frame. They replaced at no charge. But we learned is that every battery has a birth date. They end up sitting in a whale house and what you end up with in a brand new car may just be an old battery. Living in FL. we do need to get a new battery about every four years due to the heat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi. I own a 2018 Honda CRV with less than 20K miles on it... the battery died without warning about 3 weeks ago. Jump started it and drove it to the local Honda dealer. They determined the battery had failed and replaced it under warranty (free replaced during the first 3 years). So, I'm happy that it did not cost me anything, but I am curious as to why it died so early. It was very hot here in TX at the time. I also own a 2017 Civic coupe... no issues with it, but now I'm wondering how much longer it's battery is going to last. Fortunately the CRV was home in the garage when the battery called it quits.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
My battery had to be replaced last week. I was told at the dealership that there were so many electronic gadgets pulling on the battery, I would be lucky to get 2 years out of a battery.
The gen5 CRv has a normal parasitic of ~35ma when fully powered down. This is about normal for new vehicles with lots of electronics in them now days. On a fully charged 51R battery in good condition.. it would take 35 days of the CRV sitting and not started for the battery to drain.

I know some people are putting in larger batteries for bigger CCA... but in fact.. it is NOT CCA that matters for parasitics.. it is the reserve power (AMP hours) in the battery that matters in this regard. One would think that bigger batteries have more reserve capacity, but this is not always the case. So when upgrading the battery from a 51R (not a bad idea) keep in mind you want more reserve power first, then more CCA. CRV engines crank over really fast and efficient, so more CCA alone is kind of a waste.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Batteries are a relatively low cost item. Why stress out over a suspect component. My 2017 CRV the battery was tested by me and was 12.3 volts after being stood for over 1 hour. This suggests that the battery is 70% charged. Honda dealer says is OK. It let me down twice. So bought a 667 CCA battery, original 400 CCA. bit of a squeeze, replaced clamp. What an amazing differnce. Checks 12.6 volts after 1hour standing. Supposedly had 5 years warranty, but only if you dont drive it.....? Mick Australia
FACT: if you do a lot of short in town driving.... it would be unusual for a battery in a Honda to ever be fully charged. This is because Honda's dual charge system will put the charging system into a low mode once it detects the battery is fully charged (via the current sensor on the negative battery terminal). Once that happens, the charging system drops down to 12.4 VDC, and the car actually drains modest power from the battery. It will cycle back and forth, but you need longer trips for this to work well. Been like this with Hondas for more then 20 years.

For short in town driving, I have simply opted to drive with my headlights on as this over rides the low charge mode in the charging system.. yet keeps charge voltage low enough so as to not harm the battery (14.5 VDC). Now days, when I go out and start my car after sitting over night, the charging system still detects the battery at full charge. Before that.. it was constantly undercharged most days, seeing on average 12.5 VDC when I turn the car off and the float charge has bled off.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Thanks
I recently had service on my 2013 Honda CRV and was advised that the CCA (cold cranking amps) was below what was needed to start the car. The battery was within a week of the 3 year replacement warranty expiring. I was told that even though the car still started, it could cause a breakdown sometime in the future. After draw testing, the vendor replaced the battery at no charge. What I have found out is that the car's computer will put a small drain on the battery even when the car is off. As a retiree, I drive about 3X per week for short duration which is not sufficient to fully recharge the battery. Sulfur then collects on the plates reducing storage capacity and voltage. So to avoid sulfur from collecting on the plates, I keep a trickle pulse charger connected when the car is parked in the garage. I use a NOCO 1.1 amp smart charger which has the pulse feature to dissolve sulfur buildup. I've heard that using a trickle charger can help add considerable life to a car battery. Btw, it's vital to your battery life that ALL accessories are unplugged when the car is not running.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
So to avoid sulfur from collecting on the plates, I keep a trickle pulse charger connected when the car is parked in the garage. I use a NOCO 1.1 amp smart charger which has the pulse feature to dissolve sulfur buildup. I've heard that using a trickle charger can help add considerable life to a car battery.
NOCO GENIUS smart trickle chargers are the best of the best in my experience. I have a 3.5 that I put on my battery every month or two to allow it to gently recondition the battery and maximize reserve charge. I also put one on each vehicle in the garage if I am going to be gone more then a week on vacation travel..as it insures no surprises when we return home.

To other readers... NOCO chargers are safe to charge while your battery is in the vehicle and can be left in place indefinitely as they have a smart cycle charging system where they only charge when they detect the battery is less then fully charged. So, you could leave on on a vehicle for months, and it will just keep doing what it does.. keep a battery in a conditioned full state of charge.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Thanks
Batteries are not covered by extended warranties. I don't know where you are. Excessive cold or hot can take out a battery in relatively short time. But your car seems to have a problem. Take it to the dealer. If it needs a battery, they charge a bit more but many times have a longer pro-rate period. Last one I bougt for 2010 Accord was 8 yr. pro-rate. Otherwise buy an Interstate battery. As a former service manager I found them the best for the money 1976-2000 when I left the biz.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why are you doubting the dealerships determination of what is bad? A better approach would have been to have a discussion about what all they tested, and how they arrived at the battery as the problem... IF you are skeptical.

And why are you worried that "lightening will strike you" 3 or 4 more times, with respect to the battery?

Bad batteries DO happen, and when they do.. you replace them, just like any other failure in an motor vehicle.

By the way.. that 8 year battery warranty from Honda, I believe it is 3 years for free replacement, and then a prorate for years 4-8. I tell you this to set proper expectations for you.
You are correct. 3 free, 4-8 prorate.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Thanks
Tip: read the terms, conditions, and exclusions on your warranty contract. ;)

It's a good extended warranty, if it is HondaCare, but it is NOT bumper to bumper as there are some exclusions, in writing, in the contract.
Hhh

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2018 CRV Touring/AWD with 20,000 miles on it, over 16 months. A few days ago my CRV had a problem starting and pushing back the brake pedal. Usually, I get problems that no one has ever heard of. This time it would appear that a bunch of people are having the same problem. I took it in yesterday and they replaced the battery free (warranty). When I mentioned to the service writer that I was surprised that the battery went out so soon, he said: "These things are man-made and can go out at any time. We have seen a lot of this problem, so we knew what to do". When I asked what was the problem he said it was a bad cell. I did not think to ask if they had looked at anything else. I was just glad that it was fixed and it did not cost me anything. Now, based on all the other 53 responses" I am worried about this being an ongoing problem. The batteries will not be free forever.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Mine on my '17 is at 27 months and still reads 14.3v through the head unit during normal operation. I'm going to monitor the voltages closely through this winter. At 3 years next June I will proactively replace with a costco interstate with 500cca unless indicated earlier. I had that parking brake dead battery issue that the early '17s had but that didn't destroy it. If you are having multiple batteries fail, there's a cause.
Well, so after that report it turns out my battery crapped out after 27 months. I had refilled the cells with distilled water in what I thought was a good battery and I thought I was just doing good maintenance, and the battery wouldn't take a charge anymore. I put it on a Noco charger overnight (hat tip @williamsji ) to give it a last chance and it showed the battery was ok, but still died after 1 drive. Not sure what happened but it was replaced at 35k miles for free by Honda.

They suggested I not put a larger capacity battery in there due to the extra strain on the alternator.

One of the cells had what looked like mold or corrosion on it when I refilled it, so I wonder if it's been bad all along.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts