Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 CRV my wife sat in it while I ran into Harbor Fright. When I came back she told me a Ford Pickup F-100 parked next to her when he locked his truck my CRV locked, when he un-locked his truck my CRV un-locked!! Weird . Has anyone else had this happened ??

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
Could be all manner of differing electrical signal(s) and interference messing with the frequencies etc.

Just park away from Ford F-100s from now on as a precaution!

Reactions: Hexonxonx

·
Registered
2022 CR-V touring Hybrid
237 Posts
Back in the 90s, I owned a 1995 Camaro. Every time I went to these one apartments, I would press the unlock button on my remote and I would hear another cars doors unlock. It's not very common at least from what I've heard but it does happen.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
After all, only so many different frequencies etc can be made.....always a possibility that a keyfob will work on another car.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
If this happens to me, I will go and buy some lottery numbers. I did have a similar situation once, but rather than the car, it was my new garage door opener. That was annoying. Had to change the code so the neighbor's remote stopped opening both our doors when she came home. I will say she did a highly entertaining double-take. :)

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
After all, only so many different frequencies etc can be made.....always a possibility that a keyfob will work on another car.
The fobs do not rely on unique frequency, they rely on unique code transmission/reception as well as frequency hopping.

This is where rolling codes, also known as hopping codes, come in. Whenever you press the button to unlock your car, the exact frequency transmitted by the fob is changed, and the receiver inside the car only grabs onto that particular signal. In other words, the code "rolls" or "hops" each time you use it. A controller chip inside the car receives the signal and is responsible for changing the code each time the lock or unlock button is pushed. And the actual function includes randomization as well as an encryption scheme.

Fobs however are very low power and as such are more prone to outside electrical interference, but if this was a real issue.. then it would be much more about fobs NOT unlocking a door rather than locking.

There have been reports in earlier years of issues of fobs within a brand being able to open other vehicles of the same brand, but that was before the latest generation of keyless entry tech evolved.

IF... IF the reported issue here is true (no way to tell from where I sit :) ) it indicates a defective keyless entry system... kind of like if it was set into some sort of "demo" mode (analogy on my part, not absolute statement).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts