Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
I know the OE CRV battery is wrapped with insulation, but how about the bottom?.......any insulation on the bottom as well?

Since the battery sits above a very toasty CVT (215F+ tranny temps observed daily for months now), I don't think removing battery insulation, so the battery box will accommodate a bigger battery, would be a good idea.
I just pulled mine out today to inspect and check the water levels. A few relevant findings:

There is plenty of physical space for a larger battery, and there is not any external insulation on the bottom. Also my car has 35k miles and is 27 months old and all cells were low but the outer two had the plates exposed. I was able to fit about 75-80mL in those outer ones, so they did evaporate quite a bit (doesn't everyone have tiny graduated cylinders in their kitchen?).

The outer plate on the negative side has some corrosion from exposure I assume (will a conditioner remove or is it permanent?)

To kloker's point, it seems to be pretty common to buy the parts and make the swap on older CRVs, but no one has done a proper tutorial on here confirming that it works on the gen5. If no one does it before June I will.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2019 CRV EXL. - owned for two weeks >500 miles - wife out of town with vehicle - wouldn’t start next morning. NOT ACCEPTABLE Dealer found no problems - battery a little low so they replaced it. Said checked my vin with Honda and found no recalls, etc. Really don’t feel very good after reading all of the dead batteries posted on the internet. If this happens again I will test Texas Lemon Laws - don’t feel Honda or dealer are making adequate effort. There are lots of lawyers on the internet offering to represent me at no cost to me. Really feel sad that I bought the Honda and will let everyone I know if this happens again. Unfortunately Honda and dealer will wait until I file suit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
PJim,
Our experience has been terrible...our 2019 CRV Touring...had a dead battery 4 times in less than a month. We called the dealership in Johnson City Tenn and the general manager said bring it back, I have another one just like yours and we will trade....ALERT....He turned out to be a real nasty jerk. We got a new car but without telling us he added over $2,000.00 to our financing.
He says he told us but he never mentioned more money...Why would anyone be willing to pay more because HONDA has a problem. He also tried to tell us that we left the Accessory button on.
NO WAY ..each time we were sure everything was off and then the next morning...dead. I still panic everytime I hit the start button if it does not start immediately. This has been the worst experience of our lives...now we know why car salesmen have such bad reps. AND HONDA has done nothing even tho I have written them over and over and posted bad reviews on the Dealerships website.
If you find an attorney who will take the case, let everyone know. There should be a class action suit filed. HONDA is a POS.

·
1,954 Posts
Does anyone know if this change to a group 24 battery will work as described earlier on my 2019 CR-V EXL???
I know the OE CRV battery is wrapped with insulation, but how about the bottom?.......any insulation on the bottom as well?

Since the battery sits above a very toasty CVT (215F+ tranny temps observed daily for months now), I don't think removing battery insulation, so the battery box will accommodate a bigger battery, would be a good idea.
I expect it would fit just fine, though the insulation may require some modification of the installation. Battery insulation is available from Amazon and other sources. Also, I don't think it would be a problem to add the insulation to the Odyssey enclosure, as, from the looks of it, there is adequate extra room for it inside the box. So the remaining question is whether the exterior box dimensions will fit. So I will offer to provide the exterior dimensions of the Group 24 Odyssey box if someone will likewise provide them for the stock '19 box, along with a couple of pictures.

·
1,954 Posts
PJim,
Our experience has been terrible...our 2019 CRV Touring...had a dead battery 4 times in less than a month. We called the dealership in Johnson City Tenn and the general manager said bring it back, I have another one just like yours and we will trade....ALERT....He turned out to be a real nasty jerk. We got a new car but without telling us he added over $2,000.00 to our financing.
He says he told us but he never mentioned more money...Why would anyone be willing to pay more because HONDA has a problem. He also tried to tell us that we left the Accessory button on.
NO WAY ..each time we were sure everything was off and then the next morning...dead. I still panic everytime I hit the start button if it does not start immediately. This has been the worst experience of our lives...now we know why car salesmen have such bad reps. AND HONDA has done nothing even tho I have written them over and over and posted bad reviews on the Dealerships website.
If you find an attorney who will take the case, let everyone know. There should be a class action suit filed. HONDA is a POS.
I recommend you file a fraud complaint with the Better Business Bureau and your State Attorney General's Office.

·
1,954 Posts
I just pulled mine out today to inspect and check the water levels. A few relevant findings:

There is plenty of physical space for a larger battery, and there is not any external insulation on the bottom. Also my car has 35k miles and is 27 months old and all cells were low but the outer two had the plates exposed. I was able to fit about 75-80mL in those outer ones, so they did evaporate quite a bit (doesn't everyone have tiny graduated cylinders in their kitchen?).

The outer plate on the negative side has some corrosion from exposure I assume (will a conditioner remove or is it permanent?)

To kloker's point, it seems to be pretty common to buy the parts and make the swap on older CRVs, but no one has done a proper tutorial on here confirming that it works on the gen5. If no one does it before June I will.
It sounds like that battery is still getting pretty hot. I already have the parts to do my Group 24 swap, but after the summer we've had I think I am going to add insulation to the plan. I might even put some in my F250 as well. That battery wrap insulation is readily available, so I might also get an extra one and cut it to fit under the battery, too. But , since I had to replace the battery back right after I got the car, which was before I learned all this Group 24 stuff, my current battery is still young yet, so I may wait a bit longer. My eldest granddaughter drives an '05, so if she needs one soon I may just give her this one and then do the swap in mine. I don't want to experiment with her car before I've succeeded with mine. Hers has gotten her all the way through college, and she's in her last term now, so she certainly doesn't need any added hassles.

Meanwhile I will see if I can open those boxes and get those dimensions posted for the Group 24 Odyssey battery box parts. Hopefully someone will come along and do this on a '19 and show us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Was the battery even at full charge when you took delivery? I ask because a gen5 crv will slowly drain the battery (from full charge) in about 30 days sitting in the lot. And, depending on how much you drove and what type of driving you did.. that alone may not have recharged it fully in the two weeks you have owned it. It is also possible that the battery went fully dead at some point before you took ownership and that can have rather permanent negative effects on a new battery.

Not saying this is the issue, just saying it does happen. Hopefully the dealer checked for any abnormal parasitic drains.. as they have happened in a couple of batches of CRVs since the gen5 released.. and it is always possible there is a subsystem in your CRV that is not powering down properly.

More then likely.. just a bad battery (it happens). Not all battery discussions here have been the same problems or causes... so your going full postal with all the "lemon law" and "filing suit" is a bit over the top.. particularly when the vehicle comes with a bumper to bumper warranty and the dealer did replace the battery under warranty.

By the way.. a brand new Honda vehicle is expected to have, on average, 1.5 failures under warranty and/or formal recalls during the warranty period. Nature of modern motor vehicles.. where literally every new car will have a least one defect during warranty.

Note: Honda does not make their batteries, they buy them from Johnson Controls.. who makes many of the auto batteries put into new cars these day as well as making batteries for Costco, Walmart, all the auto chains, etc.
It’s now five months later and guess what; another dead battery. Dealer replaced the first one. Now we’re diagnosing again. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.
PS - Of course my wife was out on her own so I had to go get her and we got to wait for the AAA person to arrive to jump the car. Of course the dealers only offer of help was a phone number to call. When my wife told the dealership she just wanted her money back they suggested maybe they could trade for a HRV but it wouldn’t have a back up camera. LOL

21 - 27 of 27 Posts