Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just going to get straight to it. I have a 1999 CRV and would like to put in a slight lift so I can get a 235-75-15 tire on it for a better and beefier look and possibly some improved performance. Are lifts for these things a bad thing or is it safe? I see these guys putting in these spacers, but something tells me it won't be that easy. I've looked at my CRV suspension and it doesn't look like the geometry would agree to any lift at all....possibly just an inch or so.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Not sure what you mean by beefier look or by improved performance. At 2.6" taller than stock, The 235 tire would be a detriment to performance (not to mention possible clearance issues).........increasing tire diameter places more load on the engine/drivetrain. For example, is it easier to pedal a 10 speed bike in 1st gear or 5th gear? Increasing the tire width by 1.18" (205mm vs 235mm, depending on the rim) could be considered beefier, I guess. Raising the center of gravity is a whole other issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m thinking about lifting my RD7 but I can only go 1inch with the suspension before I apparently need drop mounts for the engine etc.

Careful about going too big with tyres as it’ll be slower to accelerate.
I’ll be going the same tyre or maybe 75 sidewalk instead of 65 (I know, that’ll hinder the car but it’ll give it slightly more ground clearance) all terrains once I wear out my h/ts.

I think for you, shop around and get new shocks and coils unless you’re wanting to go big

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
If the 1st and last metric tire size numbers are the same, a 65 series tire (the second number) will be shorter than a 75 series tire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah I know :) so the 75 will have slightly larger rolling diameter. Honestly it’ll depend on what tyre size is easiest to get around here

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Not sure what “slightly larger” would mean. A 235/75/15 is 1.85” (47mm) taller than the same tire in a 65 series.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure what “slightly larger” would mean. A 235/75/15 is 1.85” (47mm) taller than the same tire in a 65 series.
For a start it’ll change the speedometer reading, still within 5% so not really a hassle. I’m not going 235, so I think you’re arguing the OP rather than what I’m mentioning which is fine, communication is a bit cloudy here.o_O

What I saying is that a 75 sidewalk versus a 65 sidewall will do, is give you slightly more ground clearance plus larger rolling diameter. Hardly a huge difference however.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I'm not arguing with the OP, or anyone else........just trying to explain that the increased diameter will place extra load on the engine drivetrain and that FACT should be considered when altering OE tire diameter. Obviously a taller tire will increase ground clearance. Simple physics. Some folks may not understand the negative effect of increased tire diameter on the engine/drivetrain. Is a 7% increase in tire diameter a huge difference?..........?‍♂. Plenty more opinions I'm sure, I'm just stating a FACT........with a negative result.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not arguing with the OP, or anyone else.......
I'm not arguing either, just having some fun...

Obviously a taller tire will increase ground clearance. Simple physics.
Wouldn't that be "simple geometry"? :unsure:

the increased diameter will place extra load on the engine drive train
Now, that, I believe is physics, although not particularly simple.. :)

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
How about simple to understand.......taller vs shorter.:giggle:

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I hope the OP will let us know how his project turns out........maybe even some before/after pics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts