Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have hunted high and low thru this forum, and the rest of the innertubes, so I am hoping I can get a new idea.

2002 CRV EX. Radio worked fine yesterday. Fired up the car and the radio will not turn on. The anti theft light is flashing, but the display will not come on to prompt for my radio code. Everything I try does not get the radio out of this mode and in a position to left me punch in the code from the glove box. I have:

pulled the negative battery cable for 5 minutes
pulled both battery cables to 30 minutes
pulled fuse #8 (ACC/Radio) from the box inside the driver compartment (it's not blown)
pulled fuse #9 (Backup) from under the hood (it's also not blown)
put the car into key position 2 and pulled fuse #9 for 5 minutes, then replaced

I am out of ideas how to get this dang radio out of it's current status. Right now, I have the ignition in position 2 with fuse #9 in place. I read somewhere to leave it in this setting for an hour to get the radio to "reset" itself. I have little faith in this. Next thought is pulling the radio, though I am not sure what I would look for if I go that route. I'm open for thoughts.

Did the radio just crap out on me?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I'm not so sure if this will work. Press the 1 & 6 button simultaneously while holding these 2 buttons press the power button see if it does the trick. Let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had tried that, and zero luck. It's like the display is dead. I could eject all the CDs that were stored within, so I know it's getting power.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
It might be a long shot. But have you tried to short the 2 terminals without touching the battery posts? As what you mentioned it could be a bad display. Let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big no go on that option too. I am working on the cat today so this sucker will pass emissions, so I just pulled off the molding around the radio and pulled the radio out - it's sitting next to me on my desk. We'll see if an hour or so of the radio out, along with the neg cable off the car for that time makes a difference.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Try this after installing the battery, press the power button then enter the code precisely then see what happens. Be sure you enter the code in perfect order the 1st time. What is the problem with the cat?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to replace the cat for emissions. There was some loss in power, so I figured instead of just replacing the O2 sensors, I would replace the whole converter. And that was a chore, but the car does feel much better, and the check engine light has gone off, so my guess is I am no longer throwing the code for one of the sensors.

If I turn on the headlights, the radio does illuminate itself with the backing lights on the numbers/modes/etc. I was thinking the exact idea you had - reconnect, turn on the car, hit power and punch in the code....

.....and it didn't work.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Do you still have the radio out? Have you checked the internal fuse? It did not occur to me as you mentioned that you can eject the cd & the back light would come on when you turn the headlights. Let me know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts