Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti roll bar/sway bar

22K views 57 replies 13 participants last post by  ptcldy 
#1 ·
Has anyone upgrade their sway bar/anti roll bar on their 17+ models? I was thinking about getting the eibach anti roll bar from tirerack.com to help with the swaying on my 18 touring. We are about to go on a 9 hr road trip with the new born and we really want something to help with the body roll.

#3 ·
Keep in mind that a higher performance sway bar would stiffen up the ride. Personally I find the CR-V is pretty controlled in this area and almost matches the class leading CX-5 while being more comfortable. Its a trade-off you might live with considering a new born would probably prefer smoothness over extreme cornering capability.

#5 ·
Ive installed over 5 upgraded sway bars on different vehicles and it has never made a car more stiff, only better on turns. CRV has some bad body roll...but as do other suv's in the the compact segment.

Juilt -
The civic and crv shares the same sway bars. Look up aftermarket sway bars from current gen civic. It should bolt right up.

#4 ·
we did a1,500 miles road trip last year and I find the CRV's comfort and body roll very comfortable, I don't go crazy on the twist and turns in the mountains that's for sure. Almost the hole trip was in the mountains. I was very amazed how powerful the 1.5 litter was when climbing.

#7 ·
I take very slow corner and no sharp turn. My tundra have really bad sway. I drove the polit and the mdx and their ride is so much more smoother going over bombs and turns. And I was wondering what's more efficient sway bar for body roll or upgrade shocks. Keep in mind I drive like a grandma. And every turn I take there is a body roll to one side then it comes back and forth before a stop.

#13 ·
He didn't say "reduce articulation and stiffen up the ride". He said reduce body roll. One can accomplish this with a bigger or solid anti-sway bar. Going too big will have adverse effects such as too stiff, too much understeer and loss of traction at certain angles however an anti-sway bar only a few mm thicker will give desired effect. A much more expensive option would be bigger rims and/or lower profile tires to reduce sidewall flex and/or a customized suspension setup that's. I too am looking for the same driving characteristics. Admittedly I'm not an auto engineer but I have done this to a couple of my vehicles in the past ( both Accords) and was very happy with the results.

#16 · (Edited)
I just want to reduce the body roll not racing around the corner or trying to run the fastest lap. My moms odyssey have one of the last body roll and really comfortable while on road trip. It soaks in the bumps and your not being tost around. Same goes with the polit and the mdx, the rdx have less body roll then the crv. I have not driven the rav4 or the cx5. But what I would like is just to reduce the body roll. Taken turn I have to brace myself at 13 mph and going the on the clover ramp at 20 the whole car shift one way. My types s and accord feels way better then this. And yes I just order the rear sway bar from ultra racing with a 2 days shipping. I will keep postested. It was 260 got it for 240 with the shipping. If it does what i want I might add more parts to it. They have a total of 4 parts to achieve the 40% less body roll.

#21 ·
Let us know how the install goes. I have a rear Ultra Racing sway bar in my garage waiting for me to quit being lazy, and the head to drop to less that 97F, and I'll tackle it. From what I've looked at so far the bolts at the top of the bushing brackets may be a little tricky to access due to the dual mufflers. If that's the case then it means dropping the end of the exhaust.

#31 ·
So apparently the UR sway bar, though smaller, is solid and therefor stronger. I will get it

The steel may be harder but I've been in contact with Ultra Racing via Facebook They say the 16mm bar is made for the base model fwd that doesn't come with a rear sway bar and that I should go with a 19mm or 23mm which they make.

#29 ·
ah, makes sense since I also have a FWD and was great in the mountains.
as I mentioned in my previous post, stiffer anti-swaybars makes it more bouncy when off road thus my guess is if its AWD, Honda might be considering some light off-road thus thinner anti-swaybar?

#33 ·

The mechanics took 35 min to install and cost me $45. Over all going around corner have reduce body roll by a lot. Going over pot hole, the car doesnt feel like it's going to drop so far down and swing so far back to the other side, it feels a lot better. Highway speed of 70 was not a problem. Allentown PA roads are not the best and the sway bar made it feels better. Going over bumb made a huge difference also. The whole project cast me around 280 for parts and install. Took a little more then 2 weeks to get and very happy with the results.
Auto part Automotive fuel system Vehicle Engine Car
Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive exhaust Exhaust system

#53 ·
Well I'm glad some have had luck with Ultra. Not great customer service and quality is questionable. I'm running a progress sway bar that is rated at 740lbs/in vs stock 240. They're a USA company out of california. The cr-v say bar is the same on the 10th gen civic, accord 4dr, and civic type r. It's not listed on their site for fitment yet. I'm the guinea pig that offered to try it. It is identical to the stock bar. Simple install. Well worth the reduction in understeer. I don't know the specs on the ultra because they're not published I believe. You're hoping it's more but for the same price you get an american bar from an established company, and you have specs on it. I'm running the 740lb/in. bar which is part number 62.1018. They offer a bar that is 550lb/in. I run the stiffer bar due to the high profile of the vehicle. Also, THIS IS FWD ONLY. different bar design for AWD that is only offered by ultra. anyways, thought I'd share.

#55 ·
A little jealous over the ease of the FWD install. AWD install was a PITA as the bushing bolts are vertical and up against the twin mufflers on my Touring model. I finally did figure out how to get to the back bushing bracket nut but it took a little thinking without having to drop the exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.