Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look to install a hitch for light towing (zero turn mower on utility trailer) and bike rack use.

I am looking at Class III Curt, Draw-Tite and Hidden Hitch from etrailers.com along with their plug and play T-harness. I looked at OEM and man oh man, the install PDF is daunting. The videos on etrailer.com makes their solutions look much each easier!

Has anyone done one of these? Any opinions on one being better than the other? Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I installed the DrawTite for use with my bike rack on my 15 CRV. I didn't bother with the wiring harness since I have no plans to tow anything. Install took a few hours. Not too difficult, but Honda certainly doesn't make it easy on this vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed the Curt class 2/3 one from etrailer.com, and the video on their site is correct, it is very easy to do. Took me about an hour since I took my time. The hardest part was wrestling off/on the muffler hangers. I measured the cut for the hole on the driver side and cut it from the outside without dropping the shroud, a time saver. I actually cut it a bit smaller and had to enlarge a bit. (It's easier to take away material than put it back). We used it for a bike rack on a trip to Maine (18 hours) and had 4 bike on it with no problems. I haven't installed the wiring harness from them, but watched the install video and made a recommended change to it. The video shows a fuse placed behind the rear panel, which means you need to pull the panel to check it if there is a problem. I recommend extending the wires for the fuse down to the bottom where the fuse can be easily accessed. Anyway the class 3 hitch is a breeze to put on.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Recently purchased and installed CURT Class 3 hitch from eTrailer.com. My 2015 CR-V was only purchased about 1 month prior. Installation of hitch was relatively easy but I had to put rear wheels up on a set of car ramps to get underneath work room. I will tow a utility trailer with no more than 1200 to 1500 pounds. I also purchased the CURT wiring harness and started the install myself. I will say if you're not comfortable taking off inside fender panels, etc. leave it for the pros. I had to go to dealer to finish the job. I also don't like the trailer wiring harness hanging out in the back but will live with it for now. I prefer to have it mounted next to the receiver. In the future, I might have the dealer install the Honda wiring harness. ETrailer is pretty thorough with instruction though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gang!

I got the Reese on Amazon for 95 bux. Class III based on reviews. Looks to be identical to one of the 3 on etrailer.com! I also got the Curt trailer wiring harness. I just received both and plan to get them on in the next few weeks.

I don't like how the harness hangs either. I tried to look into the Honda install instructions and see which grommet they use and try to send the wire out the same way, but looks to be too much work. And its a lease, so I know will have it for 2 to 3 years max. So, I will deal with the hanging harness tail. I will also use it minimally. Its mainly for bike hauling!

Will try and do a write-up for others to use!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went the Curt route via Amazon on our new 2015 EXL-Navi. The whole project took about 4 hours. The parts of the install that I struggled with were getting the muffler rubber attachments off to get the hitch bracket on that side, and the plastic panels in the back of the car. WOW, the plastic panels cost me, easily, a 1/2 pint of blood by the time I got it all back together. Just a tip... just know that you will likely need to replace some of the plastic grommet clips. They are a pain to remove, and I broke several of them in the process. Also, I'm not really sure what the functional purpose is of the plastic panel under the back of the car. I was a good boy, and cut the slot in it per the instructions, and put it back. But I will tell you, it is a tricky process to balance the hitch along with the car's plastic under panel, and snake an arm to bolt the hitch to the body. I would like to tell you that I would never do it again. However, considering what the dealership charges to install these things, I just know that I couldn't pay it. If I ever do another one, I would ask for some help. With another set of hands I probably wouldn't have come out looking like an MMA fighter after a bad day when I got it all back together.

I just tried to include the links to the stuff I got from Amazon to my message. However, it would not let me include them because I haven't posted 5 times yet.

I wish you all the best! Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Curt makes a little bracket that you can attach to the underside of your rear bumper for the harness. The plug of the harness slips into the attachment hole. I'd suggest a little grease or something to get it properly seated though.

Again, I wanted to include a link to the part, but it wouldn't let me (haven't posted five times yet).

Search for Curt 58300 bracket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the tips on the hitch install. I am getting ready to install one of the hitches mentioned above on my 2015 Touring. one of my concerns is the appearance of the rear of the car with these hitches in place. Can someone post a photo. I have seen some other SUV's with hitches which have a cutout for the hitch which makes the install look better. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
What kind of bike racks are people using with their Curt III 2" trailer hitch? Any recommendations?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts