Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I had recently purchased a few audio / video components for my 01 CR-V.

Here's what I have setup:

Headunit: Kenwood DDX371 6.1" DVD Touchscreen
Headrest Monitors: 2x Rockville 9" Digital Monitors

Here's my questions:

1) Kenwood headunit has a 3.5mm jack for AV1 / AV2, will a (Yellow, White, Red RCA to 3.5mm jack) work to input?
2) Kenwood headunit has a video output, if I ran a RCA (Yellow) and split to two RCA, will both headrest monitors duplicate the same video signal as Kenwood unit?
3) With AV2, I would like to run a Playstation 3 to all three monitors, will it require a "Distribution Amplifier" to run all three signals without loss?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
Wouldn't call myself an expert, but I am very experienced and have a lot of self teaching. Here's my input...

1) Kenwood headunit has a 3.5mm jack for AV1 / AV2, will a (Yellow, White, Red RCA to 3.5mm jack) work to input?
1) See the picture below, you will need 1 of these for each input source. Buy quality cables that have gold connectors, and are protected with good shielding (from a popular brand name). Secure them to their corresponding device's cables with shrink tube or electrical tape to ensure connectivity in the future.

3.5mm AV to Female RCA AV

2) Kenwood headunit has a video output, if I ran a RCA (Yellow) and split to two RCA, will both headrest monitors duplicate the same video signal as Kenwood unit?
3) With AV2, I would like to run a Playstation 3 to all three monitors, will it require a "Distribution Amplifier" to run all three signals without loss?
These two are essentially the same question. Your head unit has one output, one video with no audio input (rear camera), and two aux AV inputs. This makes it act like a home theater receiver, multiple inputs, single out. With that being said, whatever video source you have selected (DVD disc, or one of the three inputs) is what will be displayed on all three of your screens. The unit itself may have options to change main/rear screen outputs.

A lot of these head units put out a quality enough signal, that if you split it once, it wont be too horrible. Considering you're only running the video aspect to the rear monitors, while audio will play from your system main.

This is a cheap option... RCA Video Male to 2x RCA Video Female, with gold connectors.

It's a $10 try, if it doesnt work, you can go buy one of these.

Aliexpress 3 output video amplifer

Input cable goes into your Kenwood Output, and then it runs two strong signals to your rear monitors. With one extra for a trunk or ceiling monitor.

With this accomplished, you use the 3.5mm to RCA AV cable to run your PS3, select it as the input, and viola!

However, you can run the PS3 to only the rear monitors, but this makes things a big trickier.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply DanScarps! Your information was very helpful. I've already ordered two Video 1->4 AV Signal Booster, a few RCA cabling, 3.5mm jack AV converters and the RCA split to two females. I will run AV1 on the monitors to run PS3 and AV2 to pull signal from center console DVD Media. I want to make it stand alone so that PS3 can be played on the headrests without disturbing the audio feed to the entire vehicle. Option to have RCA (White/Red) to connect to 3.5mm jack earphones right at the seat.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ah very well, you have decided to run the PS3 standalone to the rear monitors. That does make the most sense, as I assume it is there to primarily entertain the rear passengers. And I was trying to find the instruction manual on those monitors, but came up with nothing. I was curious if they have an amplified pass-through for video and audio, as well as multiple inputs.

Now IF, just saying IF, you wanted to: there IS a way to run your PS3 standalone AND have it hooked up to your main system at the same time. It's pretty basic, and you pretty much have everything already... If you're interested, let me know, and I'll draw you up a schematic for it. All you would need is one Stereo to RCA cable, long enough to run from one of your monitors to your head unit.

Speaking of schematics, have you drawn anything up yet? I always find it good practice to throw it all on paper before you put it all in. For me, I usually find a problem, or find a way to optimize one of my circuits. I wouldn't mind looking at your design, and throwing my 2 cents at it as well =)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've actually drawn up so many different schematics for wiring up certain ways. Since I'll have two video boosters, I can run all monitors with no issues. All three can play while parked, two rears can play while driving, sound will be through the built in speakers of the monitors. Here's how I plan to do things;

Kenwood AV OUT -> RCA (1 Yellow) -> Signal Booster (Up to 4) -> 2x RCA (1Yellow) 2x Monitors
Video will play out to headset monitors, while keeping audio to entire vehicle. i.e. DVD movie.

PS3 -> RCA (Yellow) -> Y* Signal Booster -> RCA Y* 2x Monitors
PS3 -> RCA (Red/White) -> RCA Split 3way -> RW* 2x Monitor Inputs
'' '' '' -> RW* -> RCA (RW) to 3.5mm -> Kenwood AV2
Hopefully you can understand my typing of schematics. Somehow it sounded right the other night thinking about it. I keep forgetting there's no video RCA in. I'll have to play with the cabling so more once I get my hands on a 3.5mm jack to RCA (YellowRedWhite) soon. I'll worry first about the Kenwood's Video OUT to vide booster then on to headrests.

Overall I love my CR-V more and more each day. Purchased it on May 26, and having stopped installing goodies and toys. Finally wired up the bass thumpers and partial remote start alarm. Here's a picture of the monitors fired up:

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
Alright, so based on your description, I drew this up for you in paint... You can click on it to enlarge.

The only thing I've added: is I've put a spare PS3 amplified video signal and the spare 3 way signal into the 3.5mm to RCA AV input.

So basically, your PS3 can operate standalone, monitors only with their own sound. But you also have the option put the Kenwood on Source 1, put the monitors on mute, and your whole system plays the Playstation without having to change monitor video modes.

If you dont want something like that, just ignore the additional circuit.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very intuitive DanScarps! I like the layout you've designed for me. I'm definitely considering setting it up exactly as your schematic shows. I like the idea of the monitors running either standalone or altogether. Options is always great!
Side note: Just got back from my Ocean City, MD B-Day trip this weekend. Had it inspected and serviced on Friday afternoon before the 150 mile trip there. Everything went great with inspection and had oil/filter changed, atf dw1 & dual pump 2 fluid drained and filled. Seriously loved the entire ride there with the exception the monitors and ps3 not setup.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Well happy belated birthday! Do I dare ask how many decades have past since your birth? =P

Yeah the best feeling, after doing an intense AV setup in your vehicle, is enjoying the new experience in your vehicle. Even the problems down the road can be enjoyable, when you fix them haha!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm going to post this video, to share with the rest of us, figured I'd show you directly =P This is the craziest sound system I had ever built in my life, I wish the video did it more justice.

First 40 seconds are worth watching.
1:15-1:40 some cellphone on the roof action.
3:20 Roof Flexing
3:55 Even with Dynamat the trunk is loud outside
5:45-6:15 "I Put On" is played, and the sunroof can be seen lifting and lowering at subwoofer frequency.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more year to three decades DanScarps! Got my video boosters in, awaiting a couple wires. I was surprised when I messed around with some rca connectors to test av out from Kenwood. I found that you won't need a signal booster from the av out to two monitors. I'm sure output to three will definitely require signal boosting from ps3. Haven't had time to scour for a used super slim ps3, so that av input is on hold. Just about a month of ownership and I can't keep dumping electronics in to it. Here's what my CR-V is looking like now, just got tints and bull bar installed:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Nice pics, and nice setup 01CRVEX. That 01 sure looks like it's in great shape!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Rickman! I was lucky to find this gem. One owner had it for 13 years with 104k miles. Interior and exterior was in excellent shape. I see a lot of these first gens with over 150k still asking $3-4k. My only regret is that I wish it were manual transmission, but don't miss it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
One more year to three decades DanScarps! Got my video boosters in, awaiting a couple wires. I was surprised when I messed around with some rca connectors to test av out from Kenwood. I found that you won't need a signal booster from the av out to two monitors. I'm sure output to three will definitely require signal boosting from ps3. Haven't had time to scour for a used super slim ps3, so that av input is on hold. Just about a month of ownership and I can't keep dumping electronics in to it. Here's what my CR-V is looking like now, just got tints and bull bar installed:
Hey, we're the same age! Im turning 29 in September, and we both drive 1st Gens haha!

I had said something above about the signal splitting initially:
A lot of these head units put out a quality enough signal, that if you split it once, it wont be too horrible.
However, you are doing it the right way. Most of these quality DVD player units expect two monitors on the same output, so they design them to work that way. But in long term usage, you never know if that video amplifier will save your head unit from blowing.

One thing you might want to remember, is that these entertainment consoles do not do well with bumps while operating. So it would definitely be a very good idea, to install any game that you want to play, to the hard drive. That way the disc is only used to initialize the game, then it stops spinning. It will save your laser, your console, and definitely save your discs from scratches.

Edit: And the V looks like a gem, what a nice find! Tints were the first mod I did as well, it needed it!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
A month later, scouting for super slim ps3s for $100 or less with no luck. Decided to go retro and purchased a mint Nintendo NES to take up the second av source. Won't have to worry about skipping issues with CDs, back to old days with bulky carts! Can't wait to show pictures of it in action...

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Danscarps, I finally found out these head rest monitors do have internal speakers built in. Got a power inverter to connect to cigarette lighter adapter for up to 140w continuous. Here's picture of the action... Classic Mario Bros!

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After months of putting off the rear view camera installation... I decided the third brake light will be the camera's housing. I will have to go back to my tint shop and have the rear hatch glass done again with the third brake light cut out to allow clear video input...

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's what the camera quality looks like on the Kenwood DDX371... I purchased this CMOS camera for the simple fact it has IR LEDs for night and no distance lines, just clear video.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had been awhile since I messed with my audio/video in my CR-V. I have mids and lows, but didn't have any highs when bumping my stereo. I purchased two pairs of Kicker 41CST204 and installed them in the front and rear.

Mounted on the interior mirror cover:
image.jpg

Beats paying $200+ for OEM Honda tweeters
image.jpg

Mounted on rear interior panel:
image.jpg

I wonder where DanScarps has gone... Hope he's okay!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts