Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a gas station near me that just opened and carries ethanol-free gas. It's more expensive than regular, but is there any benefit to running it through the latest CRV models? I've read you can get better gas mileage. I'm about to go on a road trip and was thinking about filling up with a tank of it for the highway driving before leaving town.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Well, since it's ethanol free you'll get a little better fuel mileage than you would with gasoline that contains ethanol.

But I think you'll find that the difference in fuel mileage won't offset the increased cost of the ethanol-free gasoline.

:)

Edit: another thought is that you'd have to be very close to empty when you fill up with the ethanol-free gasoline, otherwise you're mixing ethanol-free with the ethanol+gas fuel already in the tank, and ending up a lower ethanol fuel, but still not ethanol-free. :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
You should get 10 percent or more better gas mileage on "real" gas.

At least I did on my vehicles when I moved from an area with only ethanol gas to a location with real gas.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
The EPA states that E10 gives 3% less Mileage than straight Gas. I guess that number will vary slightly but the point is if the straight gas is costing more then 3% more than the E10 your not gaining anything MPG wise. If your looking for a slight boost of power I guess the straight Gas will give that to you. Not sure if its worth it since the CRV has a lot of pep already.

Rob

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,774 Posts
The few times I've tried Ethanol free I haven't noticed any difference in performance.

·
Registered
545 Posts
On my Ford Focus SVT I would average 27 mpg with ethanol and 30 mpg with real.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
I haven't seen any commentary on fuel type related to oil dilution. Could ethanol be a contributor to that issue?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
In Texas we might as well talk about coconuts and pineapples, which we don't have here either. There is one place that sells ethanol-free gas here, and it's the boat dock at Lakeway Marina. No cars allowed. The next nearest other place is in Waco, 90 miles away. Of course, our vehicles luckily do not have the issues our small engines do. My commercial mower and weed-eater use strictly ethanol-free gas, as ethanol will utterly destroy the carburetors, and has. I pay $20 per gallon for it at the Home De-Pot. Luckily, it only takes a few cans a year. But it's cheaper than new carbs, and I prefer to avoid damage to my thousand-dollar commercial Snapper and five-hundred-dollar Stihl machines.

Did you know that Henry Ford's first cars ran on pure ethanol? Yup.

·
Registered
433 Posts
There is likely a very slight increase in fuel economy with 91 octane premium, no ethanol, available in Ontario at Shell but certainly not worth the extra cost in an auto engine not requiring premium. I would certainly not expect more hp in the crv as these engines are designed for regular and ethanol. My TSX recommends 91 Octane and there is apparently a hp advantage vs using regular. I do go out of my way looking for ethanol free Shell for that vehicle and also for my snowblower. My motorcycle only sees the no ethanol 91 octane when I put it down for the winter together with fuel stabillizer which is always in my snowblower as well.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
In Texas we might as well talk about coconuts and pineapples, which we don't have here either. There is one place that sells ethanol-free gas here, and it's the boat dock at Lakeway Marina. No cars allowed. The next nearest other place is in Waco, 90 miles away. Of course, our vehicles luckily do not have the issues our small engines do. My commercial mower and weed-eater use strictly ethanol-free gas, as ethanol will utterly destroy the carburetors, and has. I pay $20 per gallon for it at the Home De-Pot. Luckily, it only takes a few cans a year. But it's cheaper than new carbs, and I prefer to avoid damage to my thousand-dollar commercial Snapper and five-hundred-dollar Stihl machines.

I have the same problem getting Gas for my Generator. I found that I could go down to the Marina with a 5 gallon Jug and get it filled, so now I take two and get 10 gallons of gas for about $5 a gallon. So my suggestion is see if you can get some gas at the Marina.

·
Registered
340 Posts

You're absolutely right what regular gas will do to those small engines on lawn equipment. I found out the hard way. Now only thing goes in my blowers and whackers/trimmers is the super expensive no-ethanol mixtures. It's about $7 a quart, although I've seen gallons at around $20. My only problem is some equipment takes 40:1 and some take 50:1.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I live in the ethanol product center of the US and can still get ethanol free fuel.

And there is a REALLY EASY fix for ethanol fuel and small engines. Some seafoam in the gas (unless using 2 stroke of course). Ethanols issue is the varnish left which is far worse than gas ever will be. Part of why injector cleaner is needed as maintenance on vehicles. To clean that crap out of injectors. They even have stabilizer to neutralize ethanol available at most stores.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
wlong01 - Here, at Home Depot/Lowe's and I think Walmart you can buy gallons (haven't seen quarts) of ethanol-free gas, in metal cans, price fluctuates from $17-19. Cones in 3 flavors - plain, 50-1, and 40-1.

Tigris - There is no fix that will prevent the damage. There are some additives that will mitigate it slightly, if you are willing to drain your machines and never allow ethanol gas to ever sit in them at all, but most folks won't ever do that. Ethanol eats the Aluminium/zamak alloys carburetors are made of, like acid, and as well the rubber and plastic seals and gaskets found in carburetors. Which makes those parts unrepairable. Cannot be fixed with a kit. Only fix is a new carburetor. There are no exceptions. Any small engine mechanic or shop in Texas can verify this. One of my sons is such a mechanic, and I know several others, as well as having old friends long in the landscaping business. Pump gas here is 10-15% ethanol. I've seen the insides of some carbs eaten away so badly it's scary. I can also tell you a new carb for my commercial Stihl weed-eater is $125 installed, and for my commercial Snapper mower it's $190. Another advantage to the ethanol-free gas I buy in those gallon cans is that it contains the necessary additives that allow you to leave your small engines sitting through the winter with gas in them at no risk of harm, and they will fire right up at any time. You can look the stuff up on the Home Depot website and verify all this. Although there is a lot of misinformation out there, YouTube does have plenty of videos that illustrate these problems and their solutions. Of course, fuel quality, as well as ethanol make-up, varies all over the country, so YMMV.

For those interested, here is a website that will tell you where you can get ethanol-free gas in your area:

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Cool! I see on there that there is now a new place opening up here. I'll have to check it out in the Spring.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I live in the ethanol product center of the US and can still get ethanol free fuel.

And there is a REALLY EASY fix for ethanol fuel and small engines. Some seafoam in the gas (unless using 2 stroke of course). Ethanols issue is the varnish left which is far worse than gas ever will be. Part of why injector cleaner is needed as maintenance on vehicles. To clean that crap out of injectors. They even have stabilizer to neutralize ethanol available at most stores.

Water absorption is a huge problem with ethanol in gas. God knows the issues I had with my two boat.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
oh I have seen it too. Much less of an issue with newer equipment as they are produced taking this into account. Echo products is one of which is supposed to be able to handle ethanol.

But ya in older stuff, hell no. I know the pain there. OEM Holley on my old Ford pickup many years ago. didnt realize what ethanol did to them back then. Had nothing but problems with it till I learned those 2 dont mix.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
New models with fuel injection will not have these issues with ethanol, but there are few so far. Models that still come with carburetors will still need ethanol-free fuel to avoid damage. It's sad that yard equipment has now gone the way of the auto industry. You can still get quality engines on them, but the high quality mowers themselves are gone now. Snapper was bought by Simplicity, which was then bought by Briggs & Stratton. A small remaining share of the higher end Snapper riders and tractors are still made, but aside from that all Snapper stuff is now blended into Simplicity, which is to say it is all junk. Since Snapper was the last remaining holdout for quality, there is no more. You can no longer buy a mower made with that caliber of excellence. Snapper mowers are now the equivalent of MTD or Toro or any of the other run of the mill cheap crap. I got in at the tail end of it and got the last good one they made, which was the commercial model. It has metal wheels and components, not plastic, the original disc drive, and a 9.5hp motor. I got it on sale for $860. Retail was over $1k. And it was worth every penny. Should easily last as long as my previous Snapper, which I sold after 15 years and the second owner is still using. If you are looking for that kind of quality now you are SOL. There ain't no more. If you are lucky enough you might find one on CL if you know what you are looking for, but here I've seen exactly one since the change.

On weed-eaters and chain saws you can still get quality at the upper end of Stihl and Echo. But the best you can do nowadays on a mower is a Honda, which will have a good engine but the rest of it will be of average quality.

Lucky me, I won't be needing this stuff any more, since I now have mowing service built into where I live, and I am mostly no longer able anyway. So my son is coming to get the mower and weed-eater. I'll keep my Stihl hedge trimmer, and that's it. Other than that and some gardening I am done with yard work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts