Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
any tire reviews of:

Do you own any of the following tires and if you do how have they been and would you buy them again?

Michelin HydroEdge
Hankook H727
Pirelli P4 Four Seasons
Yokohama Avid Touring S
Kumho Solus KR21
Yokohama Avid TRZ
General Altimax RT

I have a 2002 CRV and its time for new tires. I have seen the latest CR test and have read reviews on a tire website. Funny thing is that most reviews by customers are when the tires are new and that customers ratings sometimes coincide with the CR test and sometimes they don't.

In regards to Low Rolling Resistance tires like the Michelin above has anyone gotten a noticeable difference in MPG?

I travel about 10,000 miles a year and a majority of that is from road trips on the HWY. A tire that is not annoying with decent grip, on and off ramps, and is of quality construction is what would be nice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've had HydroEdges on a 2001 PT Cruiser and they were very good except for a somewhat hard ride. Got an honest 58000 miles on them before replacing. Could have got another couple thousand but winter was coming.
On my 06 & 07 CRVs I have Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads. 06 has 40000 on them and the 07 about 12000. Wear is great and the ride seems better than the HydroEdge, but it's a different car. When I bought the Triple Treads, they were rated #1 in their category at Tire Rack

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2011 and replaced the eom tires with Kumho road venture kl61. They are a little more aggressive but so far seem pretty good. I also had the general altimax on our civic and thought they were great. I dont think they were the rt though

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just installed a set of Pirelli P4s about 1 month ago, so I haven't had a chance to fully evaluate the four season aspect or treadwear. I can say the gas mileage is similar to my previous tires (Goodyear Triple Tread). They also seem to perform well in wet conditions, as did the triple tread.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just purchased the Yokohama Avid Touring S from Tirerack and had them mounted yesterday on my 06 CR-V. Very smooth and quiet. But of our course they are brand new. Awesome price.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was considering the Pirelli P4, then I accidentally discovered the BFGoodrich Premier Touring last year - a very inexpensive high quality tire rated for light snow and mud. Last winter I had no problems. Recently I had to climb a fairly steep hill with mud and wet grass and it climbed right up with no problem. I was very surprised.

Actually, I like them so much, I just today put a set on my 01 Subaru Outback and couldn't be happier. They're great and are a bargain!!!

I think they're like $80 at tirerack.com

·
Registered
32 Posts
Atomic,

I have had very good driving experience with the Yoko Avid Touring tires on our 2006 CRV. They perform well on dry, wet and pretty good in snow. They also do not wear out nearly as quickly as the stock Bridgestone Dueler tires and yet they are much cheaper than the Bridgestones.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I went with and why

Michelin HydroEdge - In CR tests it has an excellent rating, a recommended check, and a score of 84 but only fair snow traction and this was confirmed in reviews by buyers at TR. In the TR survey among passenger all season tires it places in fourth. It has a similar tread to what I was replacing which meant noise. Lastly, it is an expensive tire.

Pirelli P4 Four Seasons - In CR tests it has a very good overall rating with a score of 80. However, a fair rating in tread life, rolling resistance, and snow traction. TR consumer survey results placed it second among standard touring all season tires.

Yokohama Avid Touring S - A very good rating by CR and a score of 70 but only fair snow traction and confirmed by reviews by buyers on TR. Who placed it third among standard touring all season tires.

Kumho Solus KR21 - A very good rating by CR and a score of 78 but only fair snow traction and confirmed by reviews by buyers on TR. Who placed it fifth among standard touring all season tires.

Yokohama Avid TRZ - A very good rating by CR and a score of 74 but only fair ice braking, rolling resistance, and snow traction. TR consumer survey results placed it fourth among standard touring all season tires.

General Altimax RT - A very good rating with a score of 74 by CR but with only fair ice braking and snow traction. TR consumer survey results placed it seventh among standard touring all season tires. It has a similar tread to what I was replacing which meant noise.

Hankook H727 - An excellent rating by CR, a recommended check, overall score of 82 and good or very good ratings across the board. It placed first in the TR survey among standard touring touring all season tires.

At the last minute I did consider the Bridgestone Alenza but on the manufactures website it provides an off road rating. Off road also means less tread life and noise. Off road is something I don't need.

After researching CR, TR tests and surveys, and reading (with a grain of salt) CRV reviews on TR I choose the Hankook H727. In comparison to when the Goodyear was new it has been a smoother ride and more comfortable when over 80 on the highway. I will be back with reviews after snow is experienced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts