Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a newish 2014 lx with 16" steel wheels.

I set there any functional/performance difference between 16" and 17" wheels?

Besides not loving the looks, my handling/ride feels a little "soft" but I don't know if that is attributable to my wheels. Tire pressure is ok. Thanks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm asking the same question. I will put winter tires on the existing 16" x 6.5" steel wheels (215/70-16 100S), but then need a set of (hopefully better looking alloy) wheels for April thru November. Per one of the sites, the EX uses 17" x 6.5" wheels with 225/65-17 102T tires.

Using the Tire Size Calculator, I get the following differences between the two sizes:

215/70-16 = 27.85"

225/65-17 = 28.52" (about 2.5% larger, about 1.5 mph speedo error high)

Another option would be to go 225/60-17. This is a closer size match, but most are load index rated at 99, so it's slightly marginal.

Another oddity.... In the USA, Honda ups the size of the space saver spare slightly on vehicles with 17" tires. But the international brochures show otherwise:

T155/90D17 (101M) US spec with 16” wheels, and all European models regardless of tire/wheel size.

T165/80D17 (104M) US spec with 17” wheels

So has anyone upped an LX to EX wheels/tires? I see some takeoff's for sale. Any insight on whether Honda has MPH speedo compensation in their software for tire size?

If you did, were you concerned about the size of the spare? I can't find diameter specs on these sizes, so don't know if there is a functional delta, and any potential impact on the AWD system.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Ride difference is attributable to the lower cross section of the tire 16" vs 17". 16" will have more flex in the sidewall so a cushier ride.
I'm not sure if there's a software difference or not and I doubt that there's a difference in the spares. That would be a costly assembly line problem, but again, I don't know for sure. There will be an impact to the AWD from what I've read since they always preach to put the same size all the way around if replacing tires. The diff can only make up for some much mismatch.
Don't forget about the headaches of the TPMS too when you switch to the snows.
Glad I don't have to do that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have an ATEQ Quickset, so reprogram the TPMS system myself. No biggie here.

It's interesting that in Europe they offer up to 18" wheels, yet only 1 spare for all three sizes. Yet in the USA they have a different spare for 16 & 17". So if I do use the 16" wheels for winter and go for a nice 17" set for summer, I suppose the warranty police could be on my case if we were to have to use the 'wrong' spare. I need to find a tire calculator that includes the oddball space savers to know for sure.

Slightly narrower, higher profile winter tires are recommended for their improved bite (weight to footprint ratio), and better able to absorb shock of rutted roads. Wider lower profile is nice for summer use for handling, so using the stock rims for winter makes sense, and go with EX package for summer.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have 16's on my 2012 LX and just put Bridgestone Blizzak DMV2's on the factory steel wheels...
I have the same questions regarding upsizing the wheels to 17's.
I'm considering getting 17's for my "non snow" tires and have been doing some searching for problems, etc. I do like the ride of the V currently and would not want to get a "harsher"? ride.

I may just wind up getting a set of 16" wheels for my current all season...Uniroyals...tires which are very nice...good ride, quiet.

·
Registered
245 Posts
In the past I've just ordered a Winter Wheel & Tire package from Tirerack for our cars, but figured I'd try to save a few $$ this month and worry about April when/if it gets here! We live in the Hudson Valley, and the CR-V is going up to live with my daughter in the Rochester area. Wife and I went to school in Potsdam, so like you, Kai, we know what winter is all about!

70 series has a lot of sidewall. Going to 65 may degrade the ride a bit, but it shouldn't be too harsh. I have 60 series on my Outback (past and present ride), and that's still not too bad.

The selling dealer put brand new Conti tires on those steel wheels, so it will be a shame to not use them. Maybe I can put them on Craig's list and recover something.

Anybody know what the offset spec and hub diameter is on the two CR-V wheel sizes? I know the bolt pattern is 5 x 114 mm, so my leftover Subaru wheels won't work here.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Doing more homework, and started the process.

My Monday order of 215/70-16 Dunlop ExremeWinterContacts were delivered to the local installer today, and go on the kids 2013 CR-V LX tomorrow morning. We'll use the existing 16 x 6.5 steel wheels and TPMS sensors for the winter and store the brand new (approx 100 miles use) Continental LX tires the Honda dealer installed as part of the CPO package.

Thinking ahead to next April....

1) Pick up another set of Honda steel wheels: Part 42700T0AA01, 16x6.5, Bolt Pattern: 5 x 114.3 mm, Offset: 50mm, Center Bore: 64.1 mm. The seem to sell used for around $60, new over $100. Possibly clone the ID numbers of the current sensors or just buy stock Honda units, and reuse the stored 16" tires. (least expensive option)

2) Look for a set of inexpensive 16" alloys (Tirerack Sport Edition or similar for $100) and reuse these tires.

3) Go upmarket slightly with 17" wheels & a better handling 215/65-R17 tire. Sell the near new Continental CrossContact LX tires (they sell new on Tirerack for $120 each, so maybe net $250 ??). Again, will need an additional set of TPMS sensors.

So on the subject of 17" wheels.... To keep this 100% Honda legal and avoid any future issues with my warranty....

Has anyone looked at the 7 spoke 17 x 6.5" wheels from the prior generation (2007-2011) CR-V EX? They look to have the exact same specs as the current generation (42700SWAA81; 42700SWAA83; 42700SWAA82; 8405003; 8405011; 8516866 17x6.5, Bolt Pattern: 5 x 114.3 mm, Offset: 50mm, Center Bore: 64.1 mm), and are pretty inexpensive. New aftermarket clones of these (crash parts) sell for $95, and aren't half bad looking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts