Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi experts,
in general honda CRV -2005 auto, AWD , 2.4L , north american(canada)
has any grease or lubrication point underneth which has to be lubricate under regular maintenance ????
the V any no problem at all !!! just pre-winter preparation only !!!

help appriciated.... thanks in advance

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for suggestion !!

hi,
thanks for suggestion, the only thing i have left underneth now that is rear differencial !!!!
my point is like ball joints/tie rods/ wheel bearing or other moving stuff ??
of course i didn't see any grease point over it so not worried !!! but just curious to know ! and more easy life

again thanks for suggestion....

·
Everything in Moderation
8,072 Posts
There are no factory grease fittings. If aftermarket sway bar ends are installed, these will sometimes have fittings for the grease gun.

+++++++++++

I try to keep myself busy while the oil is draining by lubricating the variuos rubber boots under the car. My ever growing list includes the CV joint boots (2 on each half-shaft), F&R; the sway bar end links; suspension and subframe bushings; steering rack "gaiters" (accordion-like end and middle seals); and lower ball joint and tie-rod end seals.

I use a spray silicone lube on all these parts. I figure the silicone will keep the rubber covers supple and the joints intact longer. I also get more old oil out of the engine that way... :p

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
silicon means white grease??

hi,
you mean the white silicon grease ?? which we use for door and general perpose ??
as long as me and other member mention there is no direct grease point at all for grease perpose.
just wondering about your post as well want to know all joint and point you mention is under sealed type rubber cap so did you lift up little lips and spary grease with tiny spray pipe which comes useally with grease bottle ???

reply appriciated ... thanks in advance

·
Everything in Moderation
8,072 Posts
Hi Neel,
No I meant Silicone Spray, NOT white grease:

I just soak the OUTSIDE of the rubber caps to keep them flexible.

+++++++++++++

If you are determined to inject grease into a joint you can use a needle with your grease gun like this:

(Shown with protective cap)

The grease needle can inject lubricant either by piercing the rubber boot or slipping under the edge of the rubber (as on a lower ball joint)

HTH

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks a lot !!!!!

hi,
thank you for picture for better understand.
you suggesting same way what i was thinking around to set.

thanks again...!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had this same question because I'm starting to get some wicked noise coming out of the driver side wheel on our gen2. I'm worried the bearing needs to be replaced and it sounds like a bitch to do.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,072 Posts
I had this same question because I'm starting to get some wicked noise coming out of the driver side wheel on our gen2. I'm worried the bearing needs to be replaced and it sounds like a bitch to do.
Wheel bearings make a URRRRR noise at speed, increasing and decreasing on curves, as the bad bearing will be under more or less pressure. Replacing Honda wheel bearings requires a press, and the new wheel bearings need to be properly oriented, or the ABS system will not work. I farmed the job out on our Acura.

++++++++++++

Clunking during parking lot maneuvers (speed bumps) is usually caused by sloppy sway-bar end links. Try the front ones first...if you want to troubleshoot beforehand, disconnect the sway bar entirely and go for a short drive to see if the clunking is present.

There is a video on YouTube showing the replacement of end-links...search there, for videos by Fishycomics.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There are no factory grease fittings. If aftermarket sway bar ends are installed, these will sometimes have fittings for the grease gun.

+++++++++++

I try to keep myself busy while the oil is draining by lubricating the variuos rubber boots under the car. My ever growing list includes the CV joint boots (2 on each half-shaft), F&R; the sway bar end links; suspension and subframe bushings; steering rack "gaiters" (accordion-like end and middle seals); and lower ball joint and tie-rod end seals.

I use a spray silicone lube on all these parts. I figure the silicone will keep the rubber covers supple and the joints intact longer. I also get more old oil out of the engine that way... :p
Just completed giving all the boots I could find a good spray down with some heavy duty silicon spray today!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
There was another thread somewhere a member stated he used a needle to lube under the boots. Can somebody articulate the procedure and tools?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,072 Posts
That was probably me, I've been doing this at oil changes for a few years.

First, buy a needle adapter for your grease gun.

You can get this at most auto parts stores.

Then it's simple. I inject one or two 'pumps' of grease into each boot while my oil is draining. (Gotta do something while you wait, right?) I do the ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links...anything that has a rubber boot and is supposed to have lubrication in it to work OK. The needle fitting pierces the rubber, and self-seals after the needle is withdrawn.

Some might object that the sway bar links are plastic inside, and the petroleum grease will deteriorate them. But the front links on my V started to clunk three years ago...I bought new for installation later, but in the meantime, by greasing the link ends I have not heard any clunking since then. :cool:

Hand grease guns are readily available cheaply. Harbor Freight or an autoparts store are good sources.

I do NOT inject grease into the axles' CV joint boots, they need special grease.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I agree with Carbuff2. The needle grease adapter I purchased looks to be a smaller diameter than yours and has a tapered sharp point. I use it on my '09 Odyssey. When my '15 CR-V is older I will do the same. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

·
Registered
184 Posts
don't forget to lube the 'body'...door hinges and strikers, latches, weather stripping and key lock cylinders...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts