Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
i have HONDA crv-2005 EX ,AWD, automatic, canada,
i have to drive almost 80 KM every day is there any suggestion than i can increase gas mileage ??

one noticeable change i feel , when i change my engine Air filter ,
after i see this forum how to change i did and it increase mileage noticeable
thanks to all of you experts,

still any other suggestion that.... can help me to increase gas mileage ???

thanks in advance and help appreciated

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
neel, just to be honest, there is nothing you can "add" to the car to increase mileage. All "gas saving" devices have been tested and they are all failures. The only way to really increase the mileage is to decrease your cruising speed. Also it is necessary to accelerate slower and spend less time on the accelerator, that's about all you can do.

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
614 Posts
I'll echo Serj22's comments about both driving style & "gas saving" devices. The most important gas saving device ever designed operates the vehicle. To paraphrase the old axiom, "Your gas guage moves as fast as your tachometer / speedometer does."

There are many threads in this & other forums about driving styles +/or "gas saving" devices. In one thread I read, the author factors in the value of the time spent driving as opposed the cost of fuel. Traveling 800 miles from El Paso to Houston @ 75 takes 10h 40m; @65 takes 12h 18m; @55 takes 14h 55m. You have to decide if saving 4h 15m is worth the money spent for gas between [let's say] 22 mpg @ 75 vs 30 mpg @ 55. You are the driver, the choice is yours.

You might try adding air to your tires. If you look at the sticker on the inside driver's door jamb, take that figure & add 10%. Here in the states, for example, if the door sticker says 30 psi, raise your tire pressure to 33 psi. You shouldn't notice any difference in ride quality, but your tires will roll easier.

DO NOT PUMP IN THE HIGHEST NUMBER THAT YOU SEE ON YOUR TIRE. THAT IS THE MAXIMUM PRESSURE ALLOWED. DOING THIS IS DANGEROUS. IT COULD RESULT IN LOSS OF CONTROL, CREATING AN ACCIDENT WITH POSSIBLE INJURY +/OR DEATH.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both gentleman !!!

hi,
i am so thankful you guys,
i am confident that to add something what available in after market is just SCAM and gimmick... make fool people more fool....

my request is curious to know regular maintenance...example like
- change engine air filter
- oxygen sensors - if it increase any fuel efficiency than when to change ? or never - until it damage
- custom made CAI
- may be some other filters - which i don't know about it

just as a part of regular maintenance.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Take a close look at the small print on the side of your tires and look for the manufactures max. cold settings. Most are around 40 lbs. to 44lbs. Run as close to this as your roads will allow and your FE will improve. You will have to lower the pressures when venturing off-road how-ever. You will see a big improvement by following the other post recommendations as well as higher pressures.:D
Cheers,
Hal

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
A CAI will not help with gas mileage, as I've noticed, any kind of upgrade like that only hurts the mileage.

·
Registered
681 Posts
A CAI will not help with gas mileage, as I've noticed, any kind of upgrade like that only hurts the mileage.
This is not true. When my mother was driving our '01 V, I replaced the stock air box with a CAI. She saw about a 1-2mpg increase. Her commute is all highway driving and she always runs the speed limit. (to the point that I cant stand to ride with her sometimes).

·
Registered
158 Posts
According to Consumer Report, low rolling resistance tires do increase mileage. Now, the test I read was for full sized V 8 pick up, so the almost 2 mpg difference is probably more than you can expect in a CRV, but its real according to that source.

Oddly, air filters don't make that much difference. Nowadays, with air/fuel mix computer controlled, all you lose with a dirty air filter is power as the fuel is dialed back when air flow is reduced. Which indirectly wastes gas since you push further into the throttle. Cheap to do in any event, so I do mine regularly. And easy to do.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
This is not true. When my mother was driving our '01 V, I replaced the stock air box with a CAI. She saw about a 1-2mpg increase. Her commute is all highway driving and she always runs the speed limit. (to the point that I cant stand to ride with her sometimes).
I think that 1-2mpg difference was from a placebo effect, just as the noise from a louder exhaust makes people "feel a lot more power now";)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think that 1-2mpg difference was from a placebo effect, just as the noise from a louder exhaust makes people "feel a lot more power now";)
No, because she checks her mileage at every fill up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
buy ethanol free gas

you'll get back that 10% you lose in mpg or 2 1/2-3 mpg more
you may only find in states near marinas and it's 89 octane

·
Registered
58 Posts
no drafting will work

stay back about a truck length maybe 5 cars
ride to the left of lane so he can see you