Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not fond of deer whistles. Haven't tested them, but I think the ones that do emit noise may cause the deer to freeze -- not good if they are freezing in the roadway.

IMO a better investment is properly aimed headlights and the best light package you can manage. Light that is closest to blue part of the spectrum scatters the least. This is part of the explanation of why the sky is blue.

The LED or HID Xenon light kits are generally the closest to blue. In terms of luminosity, they are not brighter than other headlights. However, they appear brighter to the human eye. The beam scatters less, the light is more focused on the points directly ahead of the driver. This means the driver can pick out nighttime hazards better -- whether that hazard is deer, other wildlife, or something else entirely.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have been doing collision repair for more than 30 years.
If I had a dollar for every time I have pulled deer whistles off of a deer hit car,,, I,,, well I would be able to take my wife to lunch at Chic-fil-A.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I once totaled a pristine 65 Mustang GT (no whistles) when I hit a large buck at 70mph while skunk drunk. Took the whole top off the car, wound up in the ditch. Minor injuries for us. I can verify whistles do not work with cows or horses. Hit a black horse once, at night, in my big truck, totaled it. Had whistles. When I lived in Hunt, Tx, I had a 240z with whistles that seemed to work well, as I had many near misses but no hits. So who knows. But they are dirt cheap, so why not? Just don't expect them to work with cows, horses, coyotes, mountain lions, dogs, cats, possum, skunks, feral hogs, werewolves, or women, all of which can be quite dangerous. I might buy that science cannot prove they are effective, but IMO they cannot definitively prove they are not, any more than they can prove a silver cross won't protect you from vampires.

I live in the big city now, so I don't use them, but there is no other protection. You reflexes cannot possibly be fast enough to react in time, so if in doubt, I'd recommend them. It can't hurt.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Not fond of deer whistles. Haven't tested them, but I think the ones that do emit noise may cause the deer to freeze -- not good if they are freezing in the roadway.

IMO a better investment is properly aimed headlights and the best light package you can manage. Light that is closest to blue part of the spectrum scatters the least. This is part of the explanation of why the sky is blue.

The LED or HID Xenon light kits are generally the closest to blue. In terms of luminosity, they are not brighter than other headlights. However, they appear brighter to the human eye. The beam scatters less, the light is more focused on the points directly ahead of the driver. This means the driver can pick out nighttime hazards better -- whether that hazard is deer, other wildlife, or something else entirely.
Those blue headlights you refer to are now illegal in the US. Here you cannot get your car inspected with them. The blue spectrum light has been found to damage the human eye. Also, it is better to have a wide illumination pattern, so that you can see deer in the bar ditches and medians. Of course, you do want to be able to see as far forward as possible, and then not outrun the visibility you do have, too, but additional lighting is always good if it improves side visibility.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Wikipedia is not known for accuracy, and nothing shows that better than this page, which is 99% speculation, based on very little actual data, and seems to have more to do with kangaroos than deer. Kangaroos and deer are nothing alike. But I should have known I'd leave a category out, of what I had thought was a fairly complete list above. Oh, well.

Still, it could well be that deer whistles are as useless as most other kinds of whistles. Or not. All I can say is I wish they had skunk whistles.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Interestingly enough, I encountered three deer crossing the road while driving home from the grocery store yesterday.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Wikipedia is not known for accuracy, and nothing shows that better than this page, which is 99% speculation, based on very little actual data, and seems to have more to do with kangaroos than deer. Kangaroos and deer are nothing alike. But I should have known I'd leave a category out, of what I had thought was a fairly complete list above. Oh, well.

Still, it could well be that deer whistles are as useless as most other kinds of whistles. Or not. All I can say is I wish they had skunk whistles.
The marsupials are tricky. Up north where I live it's the geese and turkey that are the most stubborn. Deer tend to at least try and move, albeit erratically.

When I lived down south I knocked an old s10 blazer out of alignment by hitting a large tire in the road. When I looked back in the rear view that large tire slithered off. So also add copperhead whistles.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
We nearly ran down a deer on our road trip. I saw it dart out and braked, then it seemed to notice and changed direction. It hadn't yet got to the road. Two-laner, somewhere out west. I'm always on edge when driving in wooded areas, especially around dusk when they feed. SOP is to use cruise control and keep my foot right at the brake. I had to brake for a couple of other critters, including a snake slithering across the road in Badlands National Park.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts