Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've owned a CRV continuously since 2002 and currently have a 2012 (first of the new shape) EX model. Very pleased with it too.

Do you North Americans have digital radios in your models, as we do in UK? We call them DAB radios in UK and they are usually very, very good. Unfortunately the one I have in my CRV works only intermittently, which is disappointing so I have to revert to ordinary FM radio. According to Honda the weakness of the DAB radio in the early models of the current shape of CRV (late 2012 to early 2015 in UK) it's a known problem but there's no fix. They replaced the radio unit for the 2015 model year. Is it a problem on your side of the pond?

Stuart

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Glad to have you join the forum. Certainly you are welcome here. We are allies you know!

Radio problems do not seem to be on the list of problems. Some are not happy with the sound system, i.e. some want it loud enough to flip over the cars next to theirs! As for me the whole package is very good. Of course I still have pretty good hearing.

Feel free to share your experiences and concerns as well as satisfactions with your CRV. Diesel fueled, right?

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Stuart.
Count me in, Brit. North of you in Yorkshire but ex-pat in France.
My CRV has radio navigation unit and works well. but at home I find the DAB very poor and often return to the old fashioned valve radio. In France DAB no use at all I can only pick up the BBC via the satellite dish.
Happy motoring! put on your ABBA cd!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies - makes me feel at home already.

No, we don't have any subscription radio services in UK and the DAB system is a nationwide (although so far patchy) service which broadcasts both national and local stations. When it's good it's very very good (noticeably better than ordinary FM) but it is apparently a bit of an extra technical challenge to achieve reliable reception in a moving vehicle. UK is of course a bit more compact that North America, so our Government aim to have wide enough coverage with DAB to close down the FM transmitters - but the date for doing that has been put back because of incomplete coverage - and perhaps slow take up by the public of this new technology.

The DAB receiver in the Civic I was loaned while my radio problem was being looked into (which is a new one) works absolutely perfectly but the DAB in my CRV clealry has a fault. Reception of DAB signals is often as several times per minute) at which point the radio defaults to FM. It's actually very disruptive because each time the radio picks up DAB again you get a repeat of the last few words or bars of music. You can solve the problem by switching to FM - or at least you can until the government switch FM off.

My car is under Honda warranty. The dealer acknowledges there is a fault (as opposed to merely a design weakness) but Honda are saying there is merely a design weakness for which there is no fix, so they are refusing to repair or replace the set. Fortunately UK consumer protection law is pretty strong so unless they do repair it I should be able to hand the car back for a full refund of the purchase cost. Hope it doesn't come to that because I really like the rest of the CRV.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Carefully note, Stuart, that very many (all?) european CR-V:s are/were manufactured in Swindon. Those vehicles are thus British... (=Land of Hope and Glory ...)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Stuart. Fellow Brit here. Scouser living in Bolton. No probs with my CRV in respect of the radio... Mine is 2010 model. Father in law has 2015 EX model with no radio probs that I know. Hope you get it sorted..

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I’m Canadian. Still ruled by the Queen. Does that count? ha-ha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies guys. Still waiting for Honda UK to investigate my DAB problem, so no progress so far. I think it's a problem with the aerial system, which should be resolvable.

Yes, Honda offer diesel engines for CRVs here in UK but no, can't help with anything to do with ABBA!

·
Registered
776 Posts
and Hondas delay may be to give the GOV time to address the issue on their end.

( you didn't address the ABBA / Kenya trade, need more time ? )

StuartO . . . .is there still a Diesel CRV offered there?
Stuart: I'd bet he'd PAY YOU to take that Kanye POS !! There was a time when ABBA was the 2nd largest corporation in Sweden (I know, left-handed compliment). Good luck with North West's Dad's music. An angry young no talent bum is Kanye. Craig

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Stuart I am a Brit from North Yorkshire just joined site and hello to our American friends.
Anybody tow caravan and use a bike rack if so what type of rack mine is a 2013 ex.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Follow up about my DAB radio problem. It looks like the cause of loss of DAB signal was the simultaneous use of a dash camera, a cheap one off EBay, which must have caused interference. Took the dashcam out of the car and the probem disappeared!

Thanks for your contributions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts