Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm interested in learning about any potential pitfalls that are known to the community?

Recently having a very bad experience with a BMW X1 is making me want to check community forums to know if there are any issues before we settle on a replacement.

·
Registered
35 Posts
avoid 15 & 17
Why avoid 15's? I have one with 56,000 miles and aside from the vibration at idle, which Honda fixed at no charge the vehicle has been completely trouble free. I know a few people that feel exactly as I do. Absolutely no problem with the vehicle, even not having the vibration issue.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Hi, I'm interested in learning about any potential pitfalls that are known to the community?

Recently having a very bad experience with a BMW X1 is making me want to check community forums to know if there are any issues before we settle on a replacement.
Take some time to read the model year specific subforms here and you will find your answers.

Very difficult to answer an open ended question like yours, because what is considered some catastrophe to avoid by one forum member, may very well be a "meh..no big deal" to other forum members. And you have opened yourself up to random drive by emotional outbursts by a few disaffected owners (which, frankly, exist in every vehicle forum) .. when what I think you seek is a broader concensus. Which is why I suggest you spend some quality time reading existing threads for the model years you are interested in considering.. and then apply your personal preferences and concerns.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Why avoid a 2017?.......ours has been flawless. Increase your odds of getting an excellent used car.......check out Consumer Reports used car guide. Remember, nothing is perfect.......lots of Friday/Monday built cars out there.:eek:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I’ll chime in because I recently went through the same thought process.

The 15’ and 16’ models are upgraded existing models that started in 2012. They got a face lift, a new proven engine from the Accord model line, and some added features.

The 17’s are all new, with enough bugs that I decided to go with a 16’.

The 15’ has a few issues that are due to being a changed model, but other than some having a vibration at idle, which can be fixed at the dealer for N/C, they’ve been good.

The 16’ is the same as the 15’, only with the bugs fixed from the factory.

The 17’s and newer have all sorts of small and not so small in some cases, problems that Honda hasn’t been able get their hands around and solve in all cases, both mechanical and in the electronics.

I had a 17’ civic which is very similar, they have some of the same potential problems, but not to the same degree. My civic had no problems at all, it was great.

But when buying my wife’s CRV I went back to an earlier more dialed in model because I didn’t want to risk some of headaches associated with the newer version.

The 15’ and 16’ are non turbo, the newer models are all turbos except for the base model.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

My family has been buying Hondas for 60 years, of order 2 dozen. We now have a '07 CR-V, a '09 CR-V, '10 CR-V, and 2 Civics. After all the issues with later models posted on this site, I would not buy any Honda newer than 2014 and the '10 and early '11's are ticking time bombs for piston/rings/block replacement.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
If you buy a non-turblow CRV, you’ll always be asking yourself........wonder what the turblow V is like. After 27 months of flawless performance, think I could get all my money back?😱 (facetious)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I will say, the civic turbo is very nice to drive, I drove a couple CRV turbos and liked them.

So far while some have bugs to work out, they don’t appear to be breaking down or failing. Even the oil dilution hasn’t caused any problems that I’ve seen reported, it’s just a hassle that may require more frequent oil changes.

My civic has been perfect from day one, same engine and electronics.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not sure if you pulled the trigger and made a purchase or not but wanted to provide some quick thoughts based upon my experiences with a 2016 CR-V.

I was in the market for a different vehicle a little sooner than I had planned due to some issues with a VW Passat. This took place almost 2 years ago so the market was a little different but still comparable. I initially planned on buying new but the reported oil dilution issues with the 2017 and newer CR-V gave me pause. I know the odds of ending up with one of the impacted vehicles was/is pretty slim but for me it simply wasn't worth the chance. I looked at and drove a few 2015 & 2016 models and felt any of them would meet my needs. Selected a CPO 2016 EX-L and now have logged around 20K miles. It has been one of the better vehicles that I have owned. It was priced right and the maintenance costs have been minimal over the last 22 months. Actual maintenance costs have been around $150 during this time.

I can't say the CR-V is the most exciting vehicle I have ever owned or driven but I am jaded as I have had a few Corvettes as well as motorcycles. But as far as bang for the buck and reliability this CR-V to date has hit it out of the park.

Good Luck with your decision!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts