Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have less than 10k miles and noticed lately when starting cold and when I shift on Reverse, engine has rough idle. But it dissipates after it warms up. Anybody have similar experience? Could this be a normal condition?

·
Registered
187 Posts
After starting, how long do you let it run before shifting into gear? It seems mine needs about 30 seconds to run totally steady. It's not rough, but the rpm fluctuates some and then after about 30 secs it runs at a steady rpm.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After starting, how long do you let it run before shifting into gear? It seems mine needs about 30 seconds to run totally steady. It's not rough, but the rpm fluctuates some and then after about 30 secs it runs at a steady rpm.
I usually shifts after start up. Thats when I notice the rough idle. The idle stabilize after the engine warms up. This only happens on cold start.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Are you referring to vibration being transmitted through the engine mounts or it actually idling rough. I'm guessing the first.

When an engine is cold it makes less power because a lot of the energy of combustion goes to heating the cylinder walls instead of moving the piston. Cold exhaust pipes and flow a little less air since the cold metla creates a boundary layers and resulting turbulence.

Shifting into gear puts a load on the engine and bogs it down. Whe nteh engine is loaded and below 900RPM, it tends to resonate.

Same thing happens with the A/C on at a idle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rough Idle at start up

We have a 2009 Cute Rec Veh. and i notice that it idled rough at start up and what i did not know was that the A/C was on, so now i make sure that the A/C is turned off by pushing the button, not assuimg that it shuts off when i turn the ignition off. I have instucted the other half to make sure every thing is turned off before leaving the car each time...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts