Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anybody replace the shifter PRND21 illumination light bulb?

10K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  dvpatel 
#1 ·
The center console gear shifter indicator bulb seems to have died, and I'm looking for hints on exactly how I can access/replace it. Pop the top trim off? Come up from the underside by removing a side panel?

#8 ·
Funny I thought the one on my 2014 died but sometimes I give it a few taps and it comes on
Same here! That was the 'fix' for the past 10 months or so, but I think the bulb or socket finally quit. Time to go in after it.

#9 ·
Removed the side panel, released the wires from the retainer and got the socket out of it's mount. MAJOR PITA to perform such as simple task given the angle and access. Bent top needle nosed pliers helped. Ordered a Philips 2 pack of 74LL bulbs from Amazon (under $2). Old bulb did have a broken and flopping filament.

#15 ·
Just my luck. I thought the cheaper SE/LX model likely did not have the light. It seems you guys with older LX have it so our 2016 SE's bulb may have gone out. Problem is, its over $5 for the Phillips one and $4.75 for the Sylvania one. No $2 bulbs for me. :(

#10 ·
Replacement is in and working. Another MAJOR PITA few moments lying on the floor looking up, attempting to move wires and align a socket with one hand while holding a flashlight and balancing my aging body on an elbow. Again, the bent tip needle nose pliers were a must-have for turning the socket to lock it in.

#12 ·
My trunk monkey is not very well behaved and virtually untrainable. I could only imagine the outcome.... ;-)

#14 ·
Given it's location, I'll bet it was indeed easier to replace from the top (trim removal) than from the side panel.

#18 ·
How do you take the top trim off? As-is, I am already having trouble taking out the side panel off. It won't budge and pulls the whole console plastic and I don't want to pull too much and break something. I am pulling from the bottom inside corner.

#21 ·
I removed my trim a few times, all I used was a flathead screw driver and a card of some sort to keep the edges pried up. For the top trim I suggest prying the front edges, go to the side, and then back. For the knee trim, I just started on the side and worked my way down, then up. As long as you don’t pry the top of knee trim first, you shouldn’t break anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.