Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Touring has a hands-free tailgate that opens with a kick under the rear bumper.

I'd like that feature but it seems like the only one I want "above" the EX-L hybrid, and it's not worth $3k

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,196 Posts
First car that we owned that had it, was a 2014 Ford Escape, bought new in Sept 2013...(which I think was the first to offer it). We will no longer buy a car without. Period.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,099 Posts
The Touring has a hands-free tailgate that opens with a kick under the rear bumper.

I'd like that feature but it seems like the only one I want "above" the EX-L hybrid, and it's not worth $3k
When you factor in the time and ballache it would take to retrofit, I'd opt for the higher spec any day of the week.

As noted by a previous poster, I wouldnt buy a car without that feature now. I am so used to it.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Yeah looking For it for a HR-V and guess its only on certain cars, 3G keep it Honda no Fool here.

·
Registered
993 Posts
It's a very nice feature and we enjoy it on our Touring.

That said it is possible to add it to other trim levels:

We are in the process of ordering a small travel trailer (900 # empty) as such I need to add a trailer hitch.

In order to have full function of the hands free opener the sensor will need to be moved so I'm reading up on the process in order to be fully prepped when I install the hitch.

If you are good with mechanical things you can do it...

Good luck.

·
5,196 Posts
Considering the complexity of that system I doubt it could be added for a reasonable cost. Especially with OEM components.
I suppose it depends on what you consider "reasonable".
It is available as a Honda (yes, OEM) accessory for ~$390 + installation costs. That is a great deal less money below the upgrade in costs to go from EX-L to Touring if someone wants that feature without the additional added features of the Touring trim.

Reactions: Danl49

·
Registered
209 Posts
I added the hands free tailgate accessory to our 2018 Odyssey when I installed a trailer hitch.

The success rate is about 10%. Most of the time, I look like an idiot waving my foot under the vehicle. Then, I finally give up and manually open the tailgate with my hand.

If I wanted to waste my money, I would buy a strip of lottery tickets or attempt to learn how to bet on horses at the track. At least I would have some temporary fun with the money.

·
5,196 Posts
Most of the time, when someone is unsuccessful in opening the hands free tailgate with their foot, they are not doing it correctly. It takes a slight kicking action, like kicking a foot ball, not a waving action. I have had five vehicles with this feature, and have only failed once or twice since 2013.

If I truly wanted ONLY this one feature of the Touring trim, I would definitely have it added by the dealer.

Reactions: Danl49

·
Registered
30 Posts

That's a useless feature. Just use the key fob as you approach the car. Why risk dancing around on one foot and falling (how many times will this be used in bad weather when you could actually get hurt). Why didn't Honda copy the intelligent design of my Genesis key fob? If I walked to within 4' of my Genesis trunk and stayed there for 5 seconds, the trunk automatically opened without any one footed dancing - brilliant!

·
5,196 Posts
That's a useless feature. Just use the key fob as you approach the car. Why risk dancing around on one foot and falling (how many times will this be used in bad weather when you could actually get hurt). Why didn't Honda copy the intelligent design of my Genesis key fob? If I walked to within 4' of my Genesis trunk and stayed there for 5 seconds, the trunk automatically opened without any one footed dancing - brilliant!
Not really so brilliant when applied to an SUV with a tailgate. If you happen to stop to chat with someone within those 4 feet, the tailgate opens and can actually hurt someone.

·
Banned
89 Posts

I have an EX-L too, I believe the dealer would install it for about $500. If your handy I think you can purchase the kit from Honda to install yourself.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,099 Posts
Useless feature? I think not.

If your hands are full, pray tell, how exactly does one get the key fob out without relieving goods in ones hands?

And the foot sensor is not about waving your foot under the trunk. One simple foot movement/gesture underneath is all it takes and presto, the trunk opens like a charm. Every. Single. Time.

No waiting for a silly magic key to be detected either. Standing in the rain for five seconds waiting for the key to be detected? LOL, I think not. In five seconds of one deft foot movement, my trunk is already open!

Have you actually tried/used this feature on a CR-V? From your post, it doesnt sound like you have.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I installed that in our EX-L a couple of years ago. Never thought it was useful until you actually use it. My wife and I use that feature pretty regularly because we have a very clingy 20-month old so having the door open by waving a foot under the bumper is quite useful! Also, it works 95% of the time, which is better than the Audi A4 I rented (worked about 20% of the time).

Took me 2 or so hours to install. Worth the price.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts