Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scotty Kilmer (the youtuber) says Hondas are very reliable except for their automatic transmissions (which are expensive to fix)

A mechanic might see that you still have the original transmission, add "something" to the fluid, which will wear it out quickly, and a couple of months later, it's a huge payday for the shop (assuming you return)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A couple of years ago, a Lebanese American doctor was convicted for giving chemo to people who never had cancer. Just saying, small businesses do things that are much worse.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
A mechanic might see that you still have the original transmission, add "something" to the fluid, which will wear it out quickly, and a couple of months later, it's a huge payday for the shop (assuming you return)
Do you have a source for something like this actually happening?

And I'm not sure how a doctor giving unneeded drugs to patients has anything to do with mechanics and transmissions, other than proving even highly educated people can be criminals.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
To me, it boils down to --> do you have a reliable independent mechanic you trust or not. If not.. best stick with dealers in my view.

Dealers will try to upsell you sometimes on services they "recommend" but are not actually required by Honda... but at least they don't try to sabotage your vehicle to get you back into the shop. Example: my wife recently had her Accrod in for a B1 service and the dealer tried to convince her that she should get a wheel alignement as well... since they recommend it at 15K miles. Their own service checks on the tires showed normal and even wear by the way when they rotated the tires that day. I keep close tabs on tires, tire pressure, and test drive perodically for proper steering and handling, so I know for a fact that her wheel alignment is fine at this point in time... so we simply declined the recommendation. I normally have a wheel alignment only when getting brand new tires, and/or if an issue is detected with steering or tire wear.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Kilmer is an ass. He just likes to hear himself talk about how he is such an "expert" mechanic. Anyone who has a pig sty for a garage is nobody I would trust with any of my vehicles, nor would I trust his advice.

Never had that happen. Never heard of anyone else having that happen to them. I have, however, heard of quick lube shops putting the wrong fluid in various things, and "flushing" Honda transmissions with their magic flushing machines that end up destroying them. Or worse, they drain or flush a Honda CVT and replace it with auto transmission fluid instead of CVT fluid. There were a few Civic Hybrids from generations past with dead transmissions from that exact cause.

But jeez, I have three Hondas here out of five that have perfectly good transmissions. Two have 150k on them (and shift like butter), the other has 240k. My old CR-V developed a problem where it gets stuck in park (the parking pawl or its spring are probably worn) but jeez, it's 22 years old and has 290k miles.

Honda did have bad luck with the transmissions on their V6s, but that was only up until about 2006-2007 when they had a redesign, and they have been fine since then (except for their mistake putting ZF transmissions in the Pilot and related models which have resulted in complaints and some transmission failures). Kiddo's Accord has the dreaded B7XA. Beautiful engine, but the transmission had the common shifting issues. So calling all of Honda's transmissions "unreliable" for a string of bad V6 transmissions (and perhaps a couple other isolated cases) is pure crap, and part of Kilmer's shtick to make himself look like an expert. 🙄

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a source for something like this actually happening?
I don't think I came up with it myself. I must have heard about it in one of youtube videos I binge-watched (not necessarily Scotty Kilmer's)

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
YouTube isn't necessarily the place to go for reliable information. It's like that "Frenchman" in the Insurance advert. She got him off the internet. Closing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.