Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. We were driving down the NY Throughway this afternoon about 70 miles from NYC when a U joint disintegrated and the propeller shaft to the rear wheels became disconnected from the drive shaft but remained mounted under the chassis, still spinning from the action of the rear wheels ( and loudly rubbing the chassis.) We are driving an old-lady 2001 AWD CRV with 317,000 miles and, as you can see, I am pretty attached to my car at this point.
We are 750 miles from home. We were able to limp five miles down the tollway and find a motel to re-group. I've done some online research and it appears that I could completely disconnect the propeller shaft and remove, operate the CRV as a front wheel vehicle and make it home. I am looking for input from other CRV owners on the logic and effectiveness of this solution. Are there any differential fluid issues or is that rear differential insulated/sealed from the shaft? Besides traction, is there any reason that I should not approach this quandary in this fashion?
Lastly, what tools are required for removal?
Thanks in advance for your input. -g

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I have seen several reports of people doing it permanently because they can't afford a new shaft or until they can get theirs fixed or rebuilt. I haven't removed mine, but I think it is like any other driveshaft and there are just 4 bolts on the yolk holding it to the differential. The fluid should say from my understanding. They do say to support the shaft in the middle and don't let it fold on itself and pinch. I am not sure if that matters in your case now. Hopefully the straps that hang under it held it together.

As far as I know a basic socket set is all that is needed. Also, most people recommend taking a punch or scribe and marking it so you get it assembled back in the same position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 1999 CRV has the driveshaft removed... it was like that when I bought it... the only effect is that it turns the CRV to a FWD vehicle... As far as I know...

·
Registered
772 Posts
All your doing is converting AWD to FWD, no harm @ all, just do as Shryp suggested, scribe it before removing, maybe a spray paint can for one spot would be good. Good luck, travel safe.
David g.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts