Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Irrespective of potential privacy issues, etc., has anyone ever used one of these Verizon Hum devices that connect to the OBD-II port in a CRV? I just watched a youtube video by some mechanic who says these and devices like these have caused all manner of problems in various makes of cars, since they (supposedly) can cause voltage drops and hence trigger false diagnostic codes or change shifting, etc. I have no idea whether what he's saying is true, or just some scare tactics. Just looking to see if anyone in the forums has used these in CRVs and if they posed any problem.

This is the Hum website: https://www.hum.com/

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Badly designed/made devices can certainly "stomp" on the CAN bus. I guess you'd have to try it and see.

Speaking for myself, I plugged in an older cheap standalone OBD II reader and it did indeed cause things to go haywire (I wasn't driving at the time.) That one now sits in the glovebox of the wife's car (which is similarly old), while I got a newer one for myself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts