Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is whats going on. I have a 2014 CR-V EX that I purchased just under a year ago from a dealer (non Honda dealer) that they received as a trade in. The CEL came on a few weeks ago P2422 blocked EVAP system / EVAP purge valve stuck closed. Took it to the local Honda service center for warranty work since its within 3yr/36kmi. They entered the VIN and told me that it is a Canadian vehicle and they could not do any warranty service. They said to call Honda of America and have them transfer the warranty over to the US. Honda of America said the warranty can only be transferred within 30 days of bringing the vehicle to the US. The Honda representative over the phone said "you're screwed" (no exaggeration that was it word for word). They did look up the sale history for the VIN and said that a US Honda dealer transferred the vehicle to the US from Canada and sold it to the first owner in the US. I cannot understand why the original Honda dealer did not transfer the warranty or why a dealership in Arkansas brought a vehicle down from Canada.

Has anyone had this issue? Any suggestions or insight would be much appreciated.

I am going to call Honda of Canada when their office opens on Monday to see if there is anything they can do.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
It is what it is. It would be the same for all car makers.

Too bad you aren’t close to the border that you could take a little drive across the border:eek:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
How did you not know it was a Canadian vehicle? The speedometer in Canada would have the KPH numbers big and the MPH numbers small.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The speedometer was in MPH, the odometer was in miles and the gas mileage was MPG. I know Honda makes some cars in Canada so I just thought it was a Canadian build car.

I'm going to call Honda of Canada today to see if there is any way they can transfer the warranty over to Honda of America. I'll report back when I find something out.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Something is weird here ! If this was built for Canada you would have the speedometer and odometer in kms and not miles as coastie has suggested.
Canada builds CRVs to be sold in USA which have the speedometer in miles big and kms small.
From what you state looks like this vehicle was built for Canada ?? and somehow it was traded into a dealer in USA. If that is the case the speedometer should still be in kms big and miles small.
I think you are doing the right thing in talking to Honda Canada / usa to see if they can help you out here.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Did the dealer you purchased the vehicle from make any statement that it came with the balance of the factory warranty? Seems like that would be a selling point, and if they told you it had a warranty when in fact it does not (in the US), then I would think there has to be some legal recourse available from the dealer...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Called Honda Canada and they couldn't pull information up from the VIN so they said it wasn't in their system. So I called Honda America back and they entered the VIN and told me it was built in Canada for the US market. They said it was in their system as a US vehicle and maybe the service center entered the VIN incorrectly. They couldn't explain why the first person I talked to at Honda America said it wasn't a US vehicle. They told me to go back and if the VIN doesn't come up in the system to talk to the service manager because it is a US vehicle still covered under the manufactures warranty.

I'm kind of getting the impression that they just don't want the service to be covered under warranty. I'm afraid if I go back to Honda of Seattle they will do the work and try to claim it was due to some sort of damage and not covered by warranty. When I was at the service center I told them the code was P2422 failed EVAP valve / blocked EVAP system. They said if their diagnostics determined it was damage due to an accident or loose gas cap it wouldn't be covered. I said if it was a loose gas cap wouldn't the code be for a EVAP system large leak detected not blockage? They took a second to think then agreed. Anyone have good experiences with Honda dealerships around Seattle WA?

·
Registered
442 Posts
The dealer is either incompetent or is lazy.
Try to get a carfax report or something similar which shows the vehicle registration history.

Try to lookup your VIN here - > www.honda.com/recalls

Note: my car is registered in Canada so it does not show up when I search VIN in Honda.com/recalls,
if I search in Honda.ca/recalls it does show up.
So in your case it should be the opposite and show up in honda.com

good luck !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts