Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my Modern Steel Metallic 2017 EX-L home, one day, and a car in front of me kicked up a stone (it happens). It bounced off my hood and left a small chip. Exploring my options, I was thinking of ordering a kit from Dr. ColorChip. Anyone had any experience using their products? The reviews I've seen have been, largely, positive and the process doesn't seem terribly difficult. The photo, below, makes the chip look enormous, but it's rather small. Maybe a couple millimeters wide, at most.

Reactions: billyrule

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
6,988 Posts
Never used the product, but I have repaired chips in the past.

My experience is that chip repair works better on lighter colored highly reflective paints.. mainly because the high contrast of say a color like White Pearl saturates easily under light, and reflects back almost all light hitting the surface. Darker paints.. then to have much lower reflectivity, and as such they will tend to show the repair of the chip more easily.

The approach in their demo video.. which is done on a very light paint.... looks good... though if you look closely you can see some defects in the paint application. I would expect on a dark paint like yours.. they may be more problematic.

Now days, i tend to just ignore small chips and just use a clearcoat pen to seal it so it will not corrode or rust over time. But I also only buy neutral or light colored painted vehicles too.... for this very reason. For something lager then small chips.. I actually will get the OEM touch up paint and do an actual paint, sand, buff, and clearcoat and final buff as I have found that works much better then just applying with the paint pen and leaving it with clear blemishes from the paint application.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts