Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CR-V EX
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered this head unit though Amazon(5 week delivery wait) and was wondering if anyone has yet gotten their hands on one and how it works, real world experience.
The reviews have been all positive and the big hype over this unit has been going on since earlier this year when they announced it.
Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Following...I too am interested in this unit. Amazon seems to have the best deal but the wait is forever. As a fyi, when reading the reviews, be sure to filter on the new 5000 7 inch model. Amazons site also includes reviews for the 100 and 200 models all combined.

·
Registered
2009 CR-V EX
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally went ahead and purchased and installed this Sony XAV-AX5000 head unit. I also installed a rear view camera, steering wheel control interface, aftermarket faceplate/radio antenna adaptors, and matching wiring harness. I couldn't be happier with it. Looks and functions almost like a factory unit. Android Auto works very well. Bluetooth works excellent. Text to speech is great; it even allows me to compose and respond to texts while driving. The capacitive screen is very cell phone like, easy to swipe and navigate the icons. No complaints so far.

·
Registered
2009 CR-V EX
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Pics of my Sony XAV-AX5000 installed in my 2009 V.

20190127_102105.jpg 20190127_102227.jpg 20190127_102352.jpg

Top two pics show the Sony name on the lower center of the radio.

I live in NYC and frequently park on the streets. In the lower right pic, it shows that I have
placed a piece of black tape to conceal the Sony name and make it seem like a factory head unit.

Sorry about the tilted pics mods; I can't get the bottom two to delete.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,057 Posts
Here's a simple workaround on the sideways image problem, which is caused by an incompatibility between metadata interpretation between cell phone cameras and computer software:

Right click on the image and open to edit in Windows Paint app. Click on crop. Use the mouse to crop the image in any direction, either horizontally or vertically, just a tiny bit, a minimum amount. Then save the image. Now upload that one. The app changes the metadata in the image, using the app's metadata editor and correcting the problem, and it should then load upright.

·
Registered
2009 CR-V EX
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cropping worked kloker....just can't get the original two tilted pics deleted from my post.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,057 Posts
Click on Edit Post. When you get on that page, click on Go Advanced. This takes you from the lightweight "Quick Post" page to the main full tilt fully functional posting page. Once there, you'll see your post in the box. Go down to the bottom of the box and highlight the image links to those two images, then right click and delete. Or, you can simply click to put your cursor at the back end of each link, and backspace until the entire line is gone and the cursor moves up one line. Either of those should work, but if not - back out of the edit and go back to the post page. Then - Go to the top of the page, click on Quick Links. On that page, the very top link under moderators is for Carbuff2. Click on that. Then send him a message with a link to this page, and ask him to delete those two bottom pics for you. He should be able to do it.

On the picture spacing, I kind of like the 3 pics side by side - it's compact, easier to view, and requires less scrolling, especially for those with smaller screens than my 30" monitor. However, if you want to go back to having the pics vertically spaced, just go back into the advanced edit box, and add two blank horizontal lines of space between each image link. You can then click on preview, see what that looks like, and mess with it till you get it like you want it before saving changes.

Reactions: FinishLine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pics of my Sony XAV-AX5000 installed in my 2009 V.

View attachment 128049 View attachment 128051 View attachment 128047

Top two pics show the Sony name on the lower center of the radio.

I live in NYC and frequently park on the streets. In the lower right pic, it shows that I have
placed a piece of black tape to conceal the Sony name and make it seem like a factory head unit.

Sorry about the tilted pics mods; I can't get the bottom two to delete.
How did the install go? Any tips or tricks? Like to upgrade the unit in my 09 as well

·
Registered
2009 CR-V EX
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Install takes time and patience. Make sure you get the radio dash install kit, the radio antenna adaptor and the appropriate radio wiring harness, which you attach to the new radio wires ahead of install, so you can simply plug the factory wiring harness into the unit at install. The install kit has the front piece that fills in the space, just like the factory unit is sitting in there. The antenna adaptor is a must since Honda uses a two pin type into their factory radios and it won't plug directly into aftermarket units.

The steering wheel control interface is a bit tricky but by following the wiring and programming ins. carefully, it will work. I used a Metra Axxess ASWC-1 interface but I would recommend trying a different brand since the Metra tends to be buggy at times. I did install a PAC SWI-RC interface in another car afterwards an it works flawlessly.

I routed my add-on xm satellite radio antenna wire up through the passenger windshield post and tucked it up in the headliner, running it all the way to the rear, tucking it in all along the side and then exiting it directly behind the factory roof radio antenna, passing behind the hatch rubber seal, and stuck it on the roof(magnetic).

I routed the USB wire, used to plug my phone into for Android Auto, directly down to the floor and out the radio console, under the floor mat and up onto my center console table/cup holder, where I rest my phone while driving and navigating. I did have to plug in my usb charger wire, to extend this connection. The other usb wire, #2, used to hook up a flash drive full of music, I routed it into the glove box, so I can access it at any time.

Careful when taking off the top panel with the center vents. Check out a youtube video on how to properly remove it. It's easy to permanently bend it out of shape, if you yank on it wrong.

Factory radio wiring, for 09 CRV radio;

Radio 12V orange or lt. green + radio, gray 17 pin plug, pin 17

Radio Ground black - radio, gray 17 pin plug, pin 9

Radio Ignition white + radio, gray 17 pin plug, pin 14

Radio Illumination gray (parking lights), red (dimmer) +,- radio, gray 17 pin plug, pins 10 and 1

Power Antenna N/A

Left Front Speaker (+/-) lt. green - green +,- radio, gray 17 pin plug, pins 12 and 3

Right Front Speaker (+/-) white - yellow +,- radio, gray 17 pin plug, pins 15 and 7

Left Rear Speaker (+/-) gray - brown +,- radio, gray 17 pin plug, pins 11 and 2

Right Rear Speaker (+/-) blue - orange +,- radio, gray 17 pin plug, pins 16 and 8

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,057 Posts
I plan to just go through Crutchfield and let them prefab the harness plug and play.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Love the clean install. Looks pro.
I was considering this deck then went Android instead. How do you like it? Can you drive with nav and still have radio or another music source?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,057 Posts
Love the clean install. Looks pro.
I was considering this deck then went Android instead. How do you like it? Can you drive with nav and still have radio or another music source?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Which android unit did you go with?

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,057 Posts
Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts