Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven't heard of comma.ai then I highly suggest you look into it! If you have a vehicle with Honda sensing you are seriously missing out it you don't add a comma.ai kit to it.

I previously had it running on my 2016 civic and it's the best thing I have ever invested in. I will be installing it on my.2019 CRV once I get another part in the mail from them

A quick breakdown of what it does, you basically install a phone onto your windshield that will tie into the Honda sensing system. Then it is able to override the cars self driving. As long as it sees your eyes on the road it will hold your speed and lane.

On long trips I've had it drive for me without any interior ion for over a hour.

It's kind of technical to get going. But if your into that it's an amazing piece of equipment.

Obviously keep your hands on the wheel and safety and bla bla. But just figured I'd get the word out there for any of you who would be interested in something like this.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well dang I'm in that industry from a different angle and I'm excited to learn this exists for automobiles fun fun

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
653 Posts
Car self-driving an hour? Shoot, I'd probably nod off. I guess it's not for me.
:Darn:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha well if you nod off, the selfie camera sees your eyes are closed and alerts you then disengages the throttle.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Many things to consider in regards to warranty, end goal with the vehicle and , ai setup.
It might be more convenient, it might not. For me, I took some really long road trips 1k miles each way and the majority of one of the directions I used honda sense w/o user input by using an adjustable cane. I was less fatigued, considering I’ve never driven this length without breaks before. Self driving technology is exciting but so is sky diving, downhill skiing and mountain biking and likely less dangerous in the event you fall asleep. Plus what if they ai snaps and decides to kill all it’s users? Skynet problems....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah all that is very true. I would agree that a system like this should only be used if your comfortable with it and aren't about to fall asleep.

If warranty is a concern id have to say the dealership would never know. I was able to unmount all the hardware in 30 seconds and the dealership would have never known anything happened.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah all that is very true. I would agree that a system like this should only be used if your comfortable with it and aren't about to fall asleep.

If warranty is a concern id have to say the dealership would never know. I was able to unmount all the hardware in 30 seconds and the dealership would have never known anything happened.
How much does the whole setup cost? Last I saw you need a special cooling mount for the phone to prevent overheating. In the event the phone dies is there any alert? Honda sense as it is stops controlling lane keep without any indication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
865 Posts
How much does the whole setup cost? Last I saw you need a special cooling mount for the phone to prevent overheating. In the event the phone dies is there any alert? Honda sense as it is stops controlling lane keep without any indication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The device won't engage if the battery is low. It uses it's own alerts as well as sends them through the i-mid if there are any warnings or adverse conditions, including if you look away from the road.

You can price it out yourself at comma.ai. I think it is under $500 now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
653 Posts

I'm curious as to what happens if you get in a major accident (with no time to disconnect) while this system is in play? At the least, some lawyer will be sending his kid off to an Ivy League school on his cut.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm curious as to what happens if you get in a major accident (with no time to disconnect) while this system is in play? At the least, some lawyer will be sending his kid off to an Ivy League school on his cut.
If you got in a crash the same rules would apply. This does not make your car fully autonomous. Driver is still responsible. If you weren't paying attention then I assume it would be just as though you were on your phone. Dont quote me though I'm not a lawyer.

As for cost mine was around 1000 all said and done. But they have come down in price a bit now. Essentially your buying a cell phone and adapter with a heatsink and some extra circuit boards.

·
Registered
962 Posts
As for cost mine was around 1000 all said and done. But they have come down in price a bit now. Essentially your buying a cell phone and adapter with a heatsink and some extra circuit boards.
How do you install them?

Is it easy or 'challenging?'

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've been following Comma AI since the very beginning - before the regulators forced them to go open source. George Hotz (GeoHot) is a bit of a mad scientist kinda guy. A definite cult of personality. I had wanted to add the system to my '16, but I would have to add the Comma pedal for low speed (stop and go) engagement. That is a bit more tinkering than I think I am inclined to do. If I had a '17 or newer, I would definitely go for it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah if you don't have to install the pedal it's pretty simple. Connecting it up is really basic. But the confusing but can be installing the software on the phone and things like that. But there are step by step walkthroughs. So if you are interested in it i wouldnt shy away from it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts