Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has added a remote start to their V?
Any complications, etc.
I'm going to have a Compustar G9 2-way remote start installed this Saturday and I'm curious about others who may have done similar.
I've called my Honda dealer and spoke to a service rep about voiding the warranty, etc. He said absolutely not as long as a problem doesn't occur that is remote related. He acknowledged that the remote is lousy...said it is the more frequent complaint from new owners and many have replaced them.

Just bought a '17 V EX...wonderful vehicle...really love driving it.
BUT...the remote start is awful...you have to be so close to it in order for it to work.
My work place is a steel, cement and stone mill...inside that building is a metal/cement walled lab where I "work". The remote doesn't work at all and that sucks considering the remote, Compustar G9, in my '12 V LX has a range of 3000 feet and easily starts it from in the lab.

The G9 is push button start compatible and will overlay the factory system.
Thanks for the input...

·
Registered
264 Posts
This may sound dumb but I would say ask a Honda Dealer, if they can program the remote to work for longer distance.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer acknowledged the very limited range and need for a direct line of sight for the remote to work. He also said it was the biggest complaint from new crv owners.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Let us know how the after market remote performs. I would like to install one on my Touring CRV but I am afraid of losing some of the OEM functionality .Sorry for being a little out of topic.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The dealer acknowledged the very limited range and need for a direct line of sight for the remote to work. He also said it was the biggest complaint from new crv owners.
Remote start is the biggest complaint from the CRV owners? ... in other threads, i read that it's the small(ish) fuel tank/small driving range as the biggest complaint ;-) Some folks also say that the city gas mileage (mpg) is below what was promised, but the highway mpg is pretty darn good.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I pulled my viper 5904 out of the 2011 before the trade in and it took my shop a good 4-5 hours to figure it all out on our touring. There isn't much info for the crv yet , but they used the 2017 civic wiring diagrams as a guide

Remote start will still work the same , turn off when you open the doors etc which is a pain but no way around it with the push start , but the range is worth it , plus we have smart start and use our phones if need be and can see where the car is when the kids take it and if they are speeding or going somewhere they shouldn't be

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remote start is the biggest complaint from the CRV owners? ... in other threads, i read that it's the small(ish) fuel tank/small driving range as the biggest complaint ;-) Some folks also say that the city gas mileage (mpg) is below what was promised, but the highway mpg is pretty darn good.
That is what the service person told me when I called him a couple of days ago...There may be other complaints but he told me that he gets complaints about the short range and line of sight the most...that is also my complaint...I works great when I am in range and direct line of sight but if I move where there is a metal object, in my case it was an open top dumpster, it would not start though I was less than fifty feet away. Step to the side out of the blocking object and it started fine. My Compustar G9 starts my '12 CRV from 3000' and with objects in the way. That is especially useful during the winter months when I want to start my car from my lab in the mill after working an overnight shift...my car is nice and warm when I get in it. I want the same in my '17. Not asking to much am I???
I'm not referring to what people are complaining about in a thread...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had a Compustar G9 remote starter installed today. All went well and it works fine but I won't know for sure until I'm at work on Monday and can test it when I'm in my lab.
I have the same remote start in my '12 V LX and with its' 3000 foot range it starts from my lab every time so I expect no less but until I test it I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Im getting the compustar Prime 901 installed. Will it keep the feature of "walk away and lock" and also what could i program the AUX to do? Is there any possible way of the vehicle not shutting off when i open the door? Also isnt it bad to turn off and on the vehicle multiple times per day?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
You can have them set the aux button for the rear hatch , if your remote already has a trunk button see if the can add the defroster. As far as the car turning off there is no way around it I have discovered , say you're in the supermarket and want to start the car , if the door is unlocked for any reason , someone opens the door and drives off with it beeping looking for the fob. We tried hooking it up to the brake pedal but could not find a way

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm looking at installing DroneMobile or Viper SmartStart installed. Does anyone know how this will affect the OEM remote start functions?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm looking at installing DroneMobile or Viper SmartStart installed. Does anyone know how this will affect the OEM remote start functions?
I have the Compustar G9 which is below the DroneMobile. The G9 has no effect at all on the factory remote...in my case both work as intended and the G9's range and signal strength is awesome...I'd like the LCD screen and mobile app system but was out of my budget...sigh...it's always about money or the lack thereof hehehe.

Keep us informed on what you choose and how it works.

Honda told me the aftermarket remote would not affect the warranty "unless" a problem arises that is due to the aftermarket item which then would not be covered.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone found a remote starter to replace the factory one that comes in the 2018 CRV EX? That one is terrible. I looked at Compustar, but they don't seem to make one for the 2018.. Also - where did you put your antenna, given the equipment already on the windshield behind the rear view mirror. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the Compustar G9 which is below the DroneMobile. The G9 has no effect at all on the factory remote...in my case both work as intended and the G9's range and signal strength is awesome...I'd like the LCD screen and mobile app system but was out of my budget...sigh...it's always about money or the lack thereof hehehe.

Keep us informed on what you choose and how it works.

Honda told me the aftermarket remote would not affect the warranty "unless" a problem arises that is due to the aftermarket item which then would not be covered.
Are you still happy with your Compustar G9? I assume it doesn't have to be line of sight or anything, right? Not sure what honda remote came in your car - was it built in to the original key-fob or was it an extra remote with a little screen in it? The Honda one I had on my 2016 had the separate remote. It wasn't great - but it was 100 times better than what they have now. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The G9 isn't "line of sight". It has a 3000 foot range and sends the start/stop signal through concrete and steel...my lab is a steel and concrete bunker inside a stone/concrete and steel mill. It also uses an led count down as well as a "yep it is now running" led.

The '17 EX is a keyless V. The "fob" controls it all, including the oem remote which works very well for what it is but you have to be within spitting distance and direct line of sight for it to work.

I'm very happy with the G9...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any chance you installed that yourself? We're hoping to be able to do it ourselves. Thanks for your reply.
I leave it to professionals...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts