Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My inlaws battery died while they were over seas as i didnt start it enough during the time away and looking for a new battery.
Im hoping someone can verify a yellow top optima can fit? Ive used them in the past in all my other cars, amazing batteries but now thinkking of putting on in the CRV.
If not a yellow top, then what else is a good option that is available in Austalia?

TIA.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The CRV original battery looks like a motorcycle battery. Sorry, can’t help.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
I've had Optima batteries in my off road trucks. Longevity isn't their strong point and frankly they aren't worth the extra cost.

Gone back to lead acid. However suggest you look at AGM batteries. Not much more expensive than lead acid units.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've had Optima batteries in my off road trucks. Longevity isn't their strong point and frankly they aren't worth the extra cost.

Gone back to lead acid. However suggest you look at AGM batteries. Not much more expensive than lead acid units.
Agreed, Ive purchased 2 in the past thinking how awesome deep cycle would be. They do not last near as long as i had hoped, especially for the price.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Dont EVER waste money on them IMHO unless you run a serious sound system.

Deep cycle is NOT for constant cold starts, it's hard on them. Their meant for capacity.

Better off buying the best actual high CCA car battery (and biggest) you can.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Some folks have disposable income, some don’t.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My inlaws battery died while they were over seas as i didnt start it enough during the time away and looking for a new battery.
Im hoping someone can verify a yellow top optima can fit? Ive used them in the past in all my other cars, amazing batteries but now thinkking of putting on in the CRV.
If not a yellow top, then what else is a good option that is available in Austalia?

TIA.
I did the same thing last year to my OEM battery and replaced it with one of these. Best 20 lbs you'll ever lose. I've run Lithium batts in motorcycles for years and while they cost more initially they last 2-3 times longer. I've had one in my Ducati for 9 years and it starts like it was new. I also run this size in my 2016 Miata and its been flawless. Once left it for 6 weeks and it started right up.

https://www.amazon.com/Shorai-Lithium-LFX36L3-BS12-Lightweight-Powerful/dp/B007DN6IS0

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Carbuff - The newest lithium car batteries now are Lithium Iron (not Ion). There are some good YouTube videos on this promising new tech.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Problem with lithium ion batteries, they cannot be used in cold conditions. Cannot recharge when cold (damages them) so unless you only park inside a heated garage and dont leave during the winter months they are useless.

Car battery replacements useless arent lithium Ion. Having a brain fart atm about the lithium chemistry used in them

Some of this other Lithium tech I've been watching to see mainly if they get better about cold and hot temperature operation and life expectancy

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
kloker... the link I provided says ION. Like, the ones in you phone that explode. YIKES :biggringi

As I said, just kidding. But regards what Tigris99 said, why would they sell L-I batteries for cars unless they would charge? I WILL look into it.

+++++++++++++

Now, back to the main Topic...

AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries are also slow to take a charge, making them less desirable for folks who do only occasional short trips. As Tigris said, just get the best CCA traditional lead-acid battery that you can. If a bigger one can fit, use it.

We upgraded our Fit to a 51R, from the OEM 151R. MUCH bigger and a LOT more CCAs. :eek:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
They will charge but they arent for those that live in a cold climate. Likely stated as Lithium Ion does not like cold charging.

Thing is Lithium Ion has been coined for every lithium battery chemistry. Cell phones are actually like those of RC batteries formally known as lithium polymer (why their so dangerous)

Lithium Ion as is well known which is laptop batteries and the available cells that are used in them. Can be dangerous but only cheap Chinese garbage cells are really explosive anymore. And these are actually the original Lithium Ion cells.

I'm unsure why in recent couple years why they started calling all of them Lithium Ion instead of specifying them by their chemistries which makes things annoying as hell because all "Lithium Ion" are not created equal. But technically if a battery has lithium its lithium ion (how batteries work, transfers of Ions). They used to be labeled by chemestry type because each has a function and performance that's vastly different than the next.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The Shorai and other car/motorcycle battery types are lithium "iron". They've sorted the problems and they work just fine in cold weather. I had my Miata up in the Sierras last winter where the temps got down below zero a week straight. Started every morning with no issues. The distinction to be made is that lithium batteries perform very well in cold weather; actually better than lead acid- except they charge more slowly. So if you live in the Yukon and drive less than 20 miles a day probably not for you. Of course sticking the battery on a Lithium batt dedicated trickle charger at night would negate this problem completely. The one other caveat is that Li-Iron batteries have a worse amp/hr rating than their lead counterparts (CCA wise) and so they won't survive the "phantom draw" of an un-started car as long. That said, I've let both my Miata and motorcycle each sit over six weeks with no issues.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Interesting stuff. I did some extensive research on the AGM batteries and my understanding is that in order for them to really work properly in a car and be fully at home, the alternator needs to have the added ability to sense them and use a different set of parameters for charging. Also, any battery charger used to charge one up also must have that same extra set of different parameters or just trickle charging used. Otherwise the battery can be damaged. Apparently, as long as the charge is close to full a regular alternator can handle them, but below a certain charge level it becomes a problem. I understand it is now possible to get an alternator with this added functionality, as well as battery chargers.

This new tech does hold promise, but I think that when I replace mine I will just go to a larger battery and stay with lead acid. Of course it has its own drawbacks. While some battery types struggle with hyper-cold conditions, here in Texas we have the opposite - hyper-hot! In the recent past I have not had a single battery (and I only buy the best) last more than two years. With summer heat waves that sometimes top 110-115 degrees, and summers with 50-60 days of continuous periods of 100+ degrees, my new batteries seem to do okay with their first summer but fail after number two. Aargh! So I get the Motorcraft batteries with the 3-year free replacement warranty (the best warranty available), and just last month, when my two year old one in my F250 went South, I got a new one free. Beauty, eh?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I’ve been averaging 5 years on Everstart batteries from Walmart (cars, bikes, lawn tractor). Lucky, I guess.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I get a minimum of 5 years out of my farm and fleet batteries. Only even had one bad.

Walmart batteries arent horrible. like anywhere there is usually grades of batteries. More you pay the better the battery.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I'm pretty sure my two-year battery lives are the result of extreme summers, since, before that I was fairly consistently also getting 4-5 years out of them. I believe at this point that God is punishing me for choosing to live in a sanctuary city full of liberals. Just kidding.

As I understand from my recent research, all the lead acid batteries made today are made by one or the other of only two companies, and then distributed as private labeled. What is that, a semi-opoly or a bi-opoly? Or possibly a truncated tri-opoly? Heck, I don't know.

Those two companies are Johnson Controls and Exide. Supposedly Johnson Controls has the higher quality.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts