Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the big sore spots with my 2015 CR-V EX-L is both the terrible design of the touch screen head unit and the lack of CarPlay integration (despite JD Power saying it would be upgradeable). I was hoping the 2017 head unit would be the same footprint to swap it out but from the photos I've seen, the new head unit will be one of these "tablet" style units that sticks out away from the dash.

Absent that possibility, I began looking at aftermarket units from Crutchfield. However, I am seeing warnings that you lose the USB ports, clock setting, and satellite radio (which I do use). It would definitely look cheesy to have two antennas on my car.

I wanted to see if anyone has done a replacement of their head unit and how they dealt with all the drawbacks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am too wondering this, but perhaps more specifically, has anyone thought about trying to swap in the 2017 Navigation headunit from the Honda Civic?
I would think that the rear plugs and wiring should be similar, and that it might help preserve the iMid functions, LKAS, Lanewatch, etc... as well as allow you to have CarPlay and a better navigation interface...

and yes, it seems it would stick out a bit from the dash, but I suspect it wouldn't actually look quite as bad as you might fear or think. Might partially obstruct the front center air vents (or I guess you could think of it as cooling the electronics LOL).

I would expect that the rear of the unit is the standard double DIN form factor, since that's pretty much an industry standard and I suspect some people would get pretty ticked if they deviated from that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am too wondering this, but perhaps more specifically, has anyone thought about trying to swap in the 2017 Navigation headunit from the Honda Civic?
I would think that the rear plugs and wiring should be similar, and that it might help preserve the iMid functions, LKAS, Lanewatch, etc... as well as allow you to have CarPlay and a better navigation interface...

and yes, it seems it would stick out a bit from the dash, but I suspect it wouldn't actually look quite as bad as you might fear or think. Might partially obstruct the front center air vents (or I guess you could think of it as cooling the electronics LOL).

I would expect that the rear of the unit is the standard double DIN form factor, since that's pretty much an industry standard and I suspect some people would get pretty ticked if they deviated from that.
That had been my hope. However, just eyeballing the display, I'm not sure if the curvature of the CR-V dash would be an issue. You would definitely block the vents somewhat.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
This all makes me wish I hadn't bought the 2016 Touring but waited for the 2017. Alas, it is what it is.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm... how about the 2016 accord navigation headunit? seems like the form factor is closer to the 2015-16 CRV. Plus there's that second screen above.
View attachment 71337

video review:
https://youtu.be/waPhd30gO0s
Someone would need to measure - just by eyeballing it looks wider than the CR-V opening (especially given the buttons at the left look wider).

I have a couple of shops who have quoted a Pioneer unit and a bunch of wiring harnesses that retain nearly all functions. Cost is about $1100 (minus rebates). I might give it a go.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did order a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX. Total cost (including new USB ports, the camera connection, and XM radio tuner) is just under $1,300. I will lose the ability to set the clock, but I'll live with that. Output is supposed to be much better than stock, so there should be a sound difference to boot.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I did order a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX. Total cost (including new USB ports, the camera connection, and XM radio tuner) is just under $1,300. I will lose the ability to set the clock, but I'll live with that. Output is supposed to be much better than stock, so there should be a sound difference to boot.
Probably don't need to say this, but would you mind doing a review and/or DIY once you get it all set up? I'm pretty sure there's interest from some of the people here...
-C

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm new here, this is my first reply and I joined to get info about stereo swap. I had a great system in my 2013 civic and pulled it prior to trading it in on my CRV. I know the imid screen and clock setting capability was unaffected in the civic, but not sure about the 12-16 CRV's. I'd like to swap out the factory stuff for my aftermarket equipment, but don't want to loose the camera display for the right turn signal. However if all have to give up is the display and not having clock control. I'm going to do it. My stereo installer is very good and I'm going to call him and will let y'all know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts