Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still haven't secured my 2017 CRV because I'm only wanting a black with black interior Touring AWD with a certain price point while negotiating. I've been looking and negotiating since Dec 2016.

Anyways, now the new CX-5 is just around the corner. Has anyone else here considered it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCrJ0uT8vjY

It's a beauty. I actually love how it looks and think it looks better than the CRV because even the rims look nice that it comes with. I'm only looking at top end trim with AWD and its right there with the new CRV

But lack of android auto and apple car play, no remote start, no hands free lift gate is somewhat disappointing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Excellent question and have been thinking of the same because of lack of good deals in my region. I really considered mazda Cx5 last year and even cx9 at one point. Cx5 had excellent wheels on last year model too.

Few reasons I have avoided one and remember I am nit picking at what is an excellent package in itself :
1) Less dealerships in most areas. I move a lot and do my want to be too far from authorized service provider.

2) Possibly Less reliable and resale

3) No vents for rear seat in '16 model

4) No auto lift gate as correctly mentioned

5) During test drive, found leather seat quality to be not up to the mark. Seat cutouts visible. Just slightly lacking in finish.

6) not a driving expert, but did not notice anything special about handling and was comparing it to my accord so not the best comparison, still nothing special

7) Slightly uncomfortable on speed bumps. CRV 17 is like butter in comparison.

8) Less roomy than what I needed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Regarding android auto integration, I personally do not mind missing android auto. I am a geek who loves everything about android, but when I used it as app on my phone I found it so limiting which is probably by design for safety, but I found it more distracting than just using plain maps and music. Any one with android phone and wanting Android auto in their next car should try the app to know what they will get. I do expect the car integration especially maps to be better, but I personally don't mind mounting my big screen phone with everything I need.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Still no Android Auto/Carplay? *sigh*

Another thing that turned me away from the CX-5 was too-large rims in the only trimline that made the safety gadgetry available. (Many reviews pointed out how this made things harsher than they needed to be, and really didn't go well with the chassis, ride-wise.)

·
Registered
430 Posts
According to several 2017 cx-5 reviews, Mazda reps stated that android auto/apple carplay could be added as a firmware upgrade in the future, if there was enough customer demand.

Mazda enthusiasts have already added android auto on their own:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Supposedly the 2018 CX5 will come with a diesel engine as an option atleast. The 2016.5 mx5 is a better drive imo than the 2016 crv which I thought was a pile of crap compared to my '13 civic. I would go with the more comfortable drive, seats and best fuel economy. I'm sure the new mazda will have all the techo gadgets the 17 crv has as mazda is always a step ahead on those type of things.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I didn't consider the CX-5 for several reasons:

!.Reliability of my last Mazda was poor.

2. Seats were not comfortable.

3. Cargo capacity is inferior.

4. Turbo engine and mileage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
All the reviews should be coming out soon, the review embargo was just lifted. It is suppose to hit dealers at the end of the month. I like the style but it seems like last years model with style updates. One first look said it has less road noise and that carplay and android auto should be coming later in the year. I believe I have heard that before from other mazda reviews and they still don't have it. So who knows.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I currently have a 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech package. Absolutely fully loaded. When I was looking at new cars back in 2015 I was cross shopping and had narrowed down my search to a used Audi Q-5 and the CX-5. Cx-5 had so much more tech and safety features than any other mid suv. Mazda did scare me though. I'm from the east coast of Canada and most Mazdas back home, albeit, Mazda 3's, have rust in the wheel wells and rear decks. A lot of rust. That and resale can be poor depending on location. We have never had a problem with our Mazda but customer support really lacks with them. I've had issues with the customer care centre right down to the dealership level. Nothing too major but enough to make me dislike them. I looked at the 2017 model online and was not really impressed. The infotainment screen had moved up and is now sticking out of the dash. Fugly IMO. Same motor, same HP but same awesome gas mileage. The looks are, meh, mediocre at best and driving dynamics are good but its not a sports car. The CRV handles great, about the same but I find the ride to be more refined in the Honda. Plus there is a crap ton more leg room and cargo room in the Honda. The Honda looks more masculine to me. This is my wifes car though. She enjoyed the way the Honda drove, said the seats were way more comfortable and visibility was way better. She drives 70-80 kms daily on the highway. Honda finally invested more into the "tech" and safety of the CRV. Now we traded in our CX-5 and our stealer gave me more for our CX-5 than what we owe on it which was nice and has never happened to me before. Regarding the depreciation, In the 21 mths of CX-5 ownership it had only dropped $5200 cad from what I paid to what the Honda dealer gave me. I'm happy with that. This is my situation and I'm not here to discuss numbers. The Honda again has more room than the Mazda, also has memory seating, heated rear seats, Pano sunroof, heated steering wheel, remote start, power tail gate, apple car play, led headlights, tail lights and turn signals. More power on paper but prolly not really noticeable much but the wife like it. The Honda just seems to have all the things the Mazda is lacking for roughly the same price. In my mind its a no brainer but hey, I'm also driving a 2003 Honda Civic LX with low miles so maybe a bit biased too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My wife has a 2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring. It is a nice car and she really seems to like it. I have driven it several times including on long trips. There are a few things that Mazda cheaped out on that I don't care for. The first thing is the only the driver's window switch is illuminated at night. None of the other window switches or the power lock switch is illuminated. There is no light in the glove compartment. The glove compartment does not lock either. Little things but my 07 CRV has all of these. The other big thing is that the rear seat is fixed. You can not change the pitch of the seat. My boys (ages 16 & 20) find the back of the CRV to be more comfortable. On paper, the storage volume behind the rear seats is pretty close but it seems like I can fit more in my 07 CRV.

We have 35k miles on the CX-5 and it has been reliable and fairly trouble free. The only non maintenance issue was that one of the shock absorbers had to be replaced (under warranty). The other weird thing is that you do not need to do to change the ATF. It says only to replace it if you have to replace the transmission or a major component of the transmission. I have always changed the transmission fluid at 30k intervals. This is a hard one for me to grasp.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily feel you had to change the transmission fluid every 30k in your CX-5, but I would do it every 60-80k. (ATF is better than it used to be, but no fluid is truly a lifetime fluid.) And if you ask Mazda if they'll replace the transmission for free forever if the fluid fails, the answer's gonna be "no".

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily feel you had to change the transmission fluid every 30k in your CX-5, but I would do it every 60-80k. (ATF is better than it used to be, but no fluid is truly a lifetime fluid.) And if you ask Mazda if they'll replace the transmission for free forever if the fluid fails, the answer's gonna be "no".
I definitely need to research this. When I questioned the service advisor at the dealer, he did not have an answer. I found this on Mazda's website.

http://mazda.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/73/~/do-i-need-to-regularly-change-the-transmission-fluid-in-my-mazda?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have owned several Mazdas in the past, including a '14 CX-5 Grand Touring. In the 80k km that I've driven with it, I've had the following issues :

- Defect in the leather on the driver's seat; dealer was unable to repair correctly, even after 8 attempts. Still unresolved when I traded the car in.
- Very small head gasket leak, was repaired preventively. Dealer didn't reassemble the coolant tank correctly, lead to it leaking all over the place, super annoying
- Paint defect on the hatch, was repainted under warranty.

Otherwise, it has been a reliable vehicle, and I still miss its superb driving manners, fantastic cargo cover (weird, but really, the CRV's sucks big time next to it) and incredible ease of parking (the CRV's backup cam is imprecise and it's hard to see exactly where its front bumper ends). The audio system in the CX-5 sounds much better than the CRV's as well, even if it's missing CarPlay/AA (but I hear that a software update will change that soon for Mazdas with the current Mazda Connect system).

The CR-V has a lot of stuff for its price, is very comfy; it takes the exact same amount of gas to drive around as the CX-5. Hondas have better resale value, but super bad audio systems. It's not a clear cut choice in my book. Drive them both!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Before getting my 2012 CR-V I looked at all the SUV's in that class. I don't have time to write all that I learned. I spent my working career in the automotive profession and I have some pretty clear opinions about cars, what is good and not so good. But I also know full well that cars, like women, are a very personal thing and we all have different wants and needs.

I strongly considered the Mazda CX-5 but for me, next to a CR-V it just didn't add up. Now, note that I have always liked the way Mazda automobiles drive and give them bonus points for that. But things like interior space and comfort didn't win the day. Resale value was also a consideration as I will be parting with it in a few years. This is my personal opinion based on my likes and experience. When I went to replace my 2012 CR-V this year I once more peaked at the competition. Honda won again. But, YMMV as they say.

BTW: I must have something wrong with me. I don't see a problem with Honda audio systems, at least not enough to change my mind about what car to buy. I buy a car to drive in, not play with an audio system. There again, we are all different. I have seen people buy some pretty crappy cars over the yeas just because they liked the radio or where a cup holder was. Good reasons (NOT!) to buy a particular car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts