Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the purchase of a 2014 CR-V to tow behind a motorhome. I'd like to get any opinions and experiences from those that home towed this car.
Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
159 Posts
I tow a '13. It's a GREAT little toad. I already had a Roadmaster tow bar so I stayed with it and had a nearby body shop install the base plate. He charged about $150 and did it in about an hour. I chose NOT to tamper with the CRV's wiring (didn't want to remove the necessary panels and/or risk any warranty issues) so I put on a rear hitch receiver and found a light bar that mounted in the 2" receiver. I wired the light bar directly to a socket in the front grill so the light bar connects directly to the coach and there is no electrical connection to the CRV.

I also installed a fuse disconnect http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums.../51441-towing-crv-build-switch-pull-fuse.html. Although Honda says it's not necessary to pull the fuse unless you're planning a long tow day, I found that short days often turn into long day unexpectedly. After 1 dead battery, I installed the switch and have never had another problem.

I've towed the CRV about 10K miles behind a 36' gas coach with Ford V-10. I'm not even aware it's there. We've crossed the Rockies several times without incident. Our previous Toad was about 600 lb lighter than the CRV but I have not been able to tell any difference towing it. I've towed about 70K miles total and have never used an auxiliary braking system. If you have any other questions about towing the V, let me know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jimirb. I read your post on the build the switch to pull fuse, very creative.
I looked at a 14 CR-V yesterday, very nice but when we finished driving it, it would not start - battery apparently died. When we pulled a carfax on it found out it had been rear ended. Not sure that had anything to do with the dead battery, but we passed. Will continue looking.

·
Registered
756 Posts
do not oversee the "Similar threads" section below here...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone on here tow a 2016 CRV on a tow dolly? It is a 2 WD automatic trans. Do you have to do anything special to tow it on a tow dolly?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts