Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The biggest reason I have not added a subwoofer to my vehicle is because I need the cargo space and do not like the thought of pulling my setup out every time I need the cargo space (weekly).

I ran across the spare tire powered subs that are new in the market, like this one. There are also offerings from JBL, CDT, Pioneer and Rockville.

It seems they are not all made the same. The CDT apparently does not sound good. The Pioneer and Rockville I believe use two small oval 'subs'. The JBL and Cerwin Vega use an 11" or 12" sub. There are not many reviews on any of these. I am looking at the Cerwin Vega due to the price and limited positive reviews. I would just need an LOC (like an Audio Control LC2i) to fix the factory sub signal roll-off.

Has anyone heard this style of sub in action? I do not expect the sound quality or output to match an actual dedicated sub in a decent enclosure. I just want to fill in the missing low end, but not if it is muddy sounding or cannot deliver the kick drum punch. All of these are between 150-200 watts RMS so they are not made to deliver crazy output.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Which Pioneer? I bought one a few years ago that I had to import from either Europe or Japan since it was not sold here. I didn't expect much with it, since it only has dual 4" drivers. It does OK but "flubs" a lot of the bass notes. I later added a Focal bombA 8" powered sub and it performs way better, but I kept the Pioneer only for use when I needed to use the rear for hauling. These new subs might be worth a look, and to me the JBL would probably be the better choice of the bunch. For years, I had a 6½" powered Bazooka beneath the table in my '97 CR-V and while it wasn't the most powerful or deepest, it did fill out the bottom end nicely. Beneath the floor like that, it did not lose much output.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How much of an audiophile system are you looking to install??? ... I installed the Cerwin-Vega from another vehicle...love the features, and it has the added ability to "toy" with it via the included controller. As for the sound I am impressed with the overall addition to the system...it's paired with morel components (front) and coaxial fill (rears) driven by 400w amp, driven by a Pioneer HU. For the price I feel you can't go wrong, especially not losing any cargo area! Is it like the Focal sub driven by a dedicated amp in my other vehicle? ... Of course not, but its a completely different animal...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts