Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone upgrade their 2016 Honda CRV EX factory stereo

66K views 50 replies 26 participants last post by  thennam 
#1 ·
I'm interested in what you purchased to improve your stock stereo. Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Pioneer avic-7100nex replaced all the speakers and added am Alpine r12. Difference is day and night. It's really a shame such a nice car comes with such a poor 7" audio system, the tuner are just terrible.

If I were to do it again I wouldn't buy a head unit with a GPS built it, but I would make sure it supported Android Auto.

#4 ·
The biggest cheapest bang for your buck is to change out your OEM front speakers, especially if you replace the OEM tweeters on the dash. The speakers & tweeters are crap. No big need to replace your rear speakers unless someone sits back there and listens to them.

#5 · (Edited)
Android Auto allows you to use Google maps that are in the phone, it will display on the screen. My deck also supports car play but I didn't think the maps were very good. IMO android auto is better than most GPS I've see / used

I did the speakers first which helped the sound. But then I quickly noticed sources such as the USB/phone sounded so much better that the FM tuner.

As far a bug bucks. Look for items on sale. Most of what i purchased was 60% off retail and I did the install my self. Which wasn't difficult

#11 ·
If you want great sound it's worth the upgrade. I've mentioned before, my new head unit supports both Car Play and Android Auto. If I were to buy again, I would not buy a GPS head unit, as i prefer andrid auto as itworks great. I just enjoy both the HD and sat radio sound so much. I will probably never play a DVD on my head unit. I have a 64gb USB driver loaded with a lot of music too.

I do hope Metra can clean up the image on the side camera. But for me that's just a nuisance, but the harness was expensive and it should work properly

#15 · (Edited)
I have done my homework and people keep miss informing other people on replacing the speakers making a difference. You need to replace the head unit. The speakers are not going to make a huge difference as some people keep telling others in the forum. The head unit is still going to send low power to each speaker regardless of how good the speakers your going to replace them with. There still going to send 3 watts of power to each speaker. To start to mis-match speakers in your car is a bad idea. My suggestion is to replace the head unit as the OEM is so bad. Replace the head unit and you will be able to send more power to each speaker. From there you can then tune the stock speakers better and send more power to each speaker as well. Crutchfield has headunits as low as 160.00 that have touch screen capability's and is around the same amount as replacing two speakers at 100.00 and tweeters at 50.00 and double the time swapping out speakers to a head unit. The stock Honda unit is so easy to replace and cruthcfield will walk you thru it and is plug and play harness. I keep telling people I have heard the CRV's with just an upgraded headunit and it sounds much better. IF you start mis-matching speakers I can only think how different the whole system will sound.

#17 ·
I did post these questions in Mobile Electronics before I found this, so my apologies.

Crutchfield seems to indicate you lose the ability to set the clock and the satellite radio connection (meaning you will have two antennas if you use it). Have those been issues for anyone?

#19 ·
torkeyvr6 is correct - replacing the head unit will result in much better sound quality than replacing the speakers. Ideally you would do both, but if budget is a concern the headunit will make a much bigger difference. All factory stereos put out lower power, muddy sound. Changing the speakers does not fix this - if you put in $1000 Focals they will still get a shit audio signal.

The real problem with modern cars if how integrated the stereo is with other electrical systems in the vehicle, like cameras etc. So you need the right harness, sometimes they are pricey. Sometimes you loose features in the process.

The alternative is to keep your factory headunit to retain all functions, but add a digital signal processor and amplification. And then you're still spending big money.

The factory speakers really are not that terrible, it's the signal they are getting that is the culprit.

#21 ·
I have a 2016 Honda CR V EX and did a full stereo upgrade and retained everything as well as cameras and lane watch and the little screen works as well including all steering wheel control and all USB ports too!
So I purchased a 7inch kenwood excelon ddx795 dvd receiver, JL audio C2 650 component 2 way speakers 6 1/2 which comes with 2 crossovers and 2 one inch tweeters for the fronts. For the rears I went with JL audio 6 1/2 C2 650x and I also went with a Alpine R series 12inch subwoofer R-W12D4 in a box, JBL club 4505 5channel amplifier and to retain everything I purchased idatalink maestro Rr, idatalink maestro HO2, idatalink maestro USB2. Cameras are clear! Vehicle maintenance works! Perfect setup! Any questions comment me!

#25 ·
Have those that still have the factory stuff tried playing something through the Aux input? How about a simple CD (assuming it has a cd player)?

My experience is that the radio sound is bad more so due to a crappy tuner than anything else. The OEM speakers are not that bad, if the input source is high quality.

In case you haven't, try an Aux input source. If you find it's much better, there are pretty inexpensive ways to get a better tuner. Even keeping the oem unit (and all it's proprietary connections).

#26 ·
all the cameras will work BUT the lane watch when you use your right indicator for some reason my installer has to call to get that to work which I’m having done tomorrow! Will update once done to let you know! Your setup will retain everything but sometimes they have to call for codes or for how to get things running right! Your upgrade will sound so much better believe me!

#34 ·
My $.02.

Have used Alpine Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack along with Polk ['08] & Alpine ['18] speakers for my audio upgrades. Small amp works great. Fits easily inside dash or center console & doesn't have overheating problems.

Most importantly, installed sound deadening material in all 4 doors [inside outer skin & door frame] & in spare tire well. All greatly improved sound quality using OEM head unit.

Bought everything from Crutchfield who are great about ordering help and returns, if needed.

Would also add that when fitting front door speakers, roll window completely down just to be sure of fit. If speaker is too deep, either speaker or window will break. Rear doors don't have that problem as the rear windows don't go down far enough to hit the speakers.

#35 ·
I have a 2016 EX that I bought last February. I only listen to my music in MP3 format on one of the USB ports, with the music on a Samsung BAR Plus flash drive (that flash drive has low and high temperature capabilities beyond anything it will see in a vehicle, and Amazon stocks them). I used some software called "express rip" to transfer music from CDs to MP3 and set the software for variable compression at the highest possible quality. It sounds pretty good on the factory system. Usually I am satisfied with the sound quality, especially considering the background noise from the road, but once in a while I wonder if there is a way to make the sound better. I would gladly pay to upgrade the sound quality but do not want to loose the other functions that the displays do.

According to reviews on YouTube, previous generations of the CR-V were noiser, and while my 2016 is not super noisy, some vehicles do have less noise, so there are limits to what can be accomplished because I listen to the music is done while the vehicle is moving. The roads I use everyday have speed limits of 40 MPH or 35 MPH so at least I do not have to put up with the level of wind noise there would be on a faster highway.

The above information about the possible lack of sound quality improvement from a mismatch is something to keep in mind. I have thought about giving Crutchfield a call to see if there are better speakers to use with the original system, but even if I follow through with doing that, I will wait until the current C-19 problem is over with so I can work with some other people to do the instillation without messing up the appearance.

I understand the importance of the speakers in the front of the vehicle, and that upgrading the back ones may not be worth the bother, especially if no one generally rides back there. What would be the best way to upgrade and keep all the other options on the screens?

If only upgrading the front speakers is the way to go, does anyone have any suggestions on what speakers would work best with the original sound system?

#39 ·
I understand the importance of the speakers in the front of the vehicle, and that upgrading the back ones may not be worth the bother, especially if no one generally rides back there. What would be the best way to upgrade and keep all the other options on the screens?

If only upgrading the front speakers is the way to go, does anyone have any suggestions on what speakers would work best with the original sound system?
I just did my 2016 EX on a budget.

I used Hertz K 170 "component" speakers in the front (they are similar to the stock speakers in that there isn't a separate crossover to wire; they have a resistor hardwired in near the tweeter whereas the stock tweeters have a resistor soldered onto the actual speaker) and Hertz X 170 in the rear.

I didn't do any additional soundproofing or dampening but I did use standard 4" boom mats to help keep the speakers clean, shield them (hopefully) from direct moisture, and to give the bass a bit more punch without going overboard. It was an easy job made slightly more time consuming because I soldered the tweeter wires (unlike the woofers, they aren't just plug-in ready) and glued in a bracket for the tweeters (every aftermarket tweeter needs to be "mounted" in this car since there's nothing for them to really mount to) in the sail panel.

The sound quality improved immensely. Better overall clarity, better separation of instruments and vocals, better bass (without rattling the windows or drowning out mids/highs). Bonus: with everything put back together it doesn't look like anything in the car changed, which is what my wife wanted.

I think you'd be happy with them. The only country music I really listen to is Johnny Cash, but I do like alt-country which has a nice mix of acoustic/electric guitars, light string instruments like violins/violas, piano and organ, full-set drumming or softer brush/broom-style as needed, etc. Everything sounded really nice on them, even given the very basic EQ functions of the stock stereo.

But, of course, that wasn't enough for me. Unlike you, I wanted the system to be louder to overcome wind/road noise when the windows are down and the sunroof is open. The new speakers helped but I'm the type of person who always needs a project, so I installed a Kicker Key 180.4 45x4 watt amp. For anyone who is thinking about doing something like this, I'll provide a short writeup here but am happy to answer more in-depth questions about the installation.

I soldered new wiring harnesses together and made the actual installation about as easy as possible - aside from pulling a power wire through the engine bay firewall and grounding the amp, the harnesses made the installation as close to plug & play as I think you can get. Bonus, again: none of the stock wiring was cut, which is what my wife wanted, and the amp is hidden behind the glovebox which is easy to get to. I'm pretty sure you could also hide this one - not sure about other mini amps - underneath the actual stereo... There's some space there, and a few metal brackets that it could be mounted to, though I didn't measure that space.

The Kicker amp really makes the system go! After running the setup (it comes with a mic that listens to test tones and makes adjustments to the EQ and timing) the soundstage is noticeably raised to ear height and the system has even greater detail and clarity. It's also a heck of a lot louder; it keeps the music nice and clear when speeding down the road. Your ears will bleed before you hear any distortion.

#40 ·
Thanks for these posts Kazoo2U and syyzk.
I was disappointed in the sound going from my 2008 CRV EX to a 2015 CRV EX. Figured they would be similar or the same, but nope.
With all the fancy bells and whistles on the OEM stereo, I think Honda cut corners on the sound quality of the head unit and the speakers.
The sound from the FM tuner is horrible.

I never needed to upgrade my '08 because it sounded great. Even on FM radio.
My new quest is improving the sound of my 2015.
Couple of things, I listen to my iPod 95% of the time and my '08 was perfect with my AUX jack. I prefer using the actual iPod Nano to skip tracks, search, etc.
The '15 EX does not come with this AUX jack so I run my ipod through USB and that tedious on screen menu. That is a whole other issue.
I am looking at getting a car audio shop to install a AUX jack accessory just for function alone!

My next beef is the sound, so looks like to improve the sound (I want to preserve the OEM factory stereo with all it's functions) I can add a small amp as you guys have
and upgrade the speakers while I am at it.
Out of curiosity I would like to know the level of improvement before I spend the $500+ for and amp and speakers.

Example:
My '08 sound quality was a 8/10 (which is pretty good for a factory stereo)
My '15 is about a 6.5/10 Not horrible, but not good either.

I'd be interested in hearing if you have comparisons of your own (1-10 ratings before and after)?
Factory vs. your new set up?

Also are you aware of any FM tuner upgrades that can be done to OEM stereo?
I may opt for the FM Transmitter to get my AUX 3.5mm jack capability.

Thanks in advance!

#41 ·
I'd be interested in hearing if you have comparisons of your own (1-10 ratings before and after)?
Factory vs. your new set up?
I'm not going to say that my upgrades compete with a high-priced car audio shop install, but they definitely improved the sound by a few points on a 1-10 scale. Speakers and a mini-amp without question made the audio better sounding than any stock system in a friend's or family member's late model vehicle (Kia Soul, Subaru Forester/Outback, Mitsubishi Outlander, Ford Escape). I'm not an audiophile but I definitely appreciate nice-sounding stereos. I spent some years in a touring & recording band, I've upgraded the audio in all of my prior vehicles, for a few years I had my own radio show on a small station, and I started using component home audio systems & building speakers back in high school over 20 years ago, so I guess I have some standards though! 😂

I would rate the stock a 5 and after the upgrades 8 or 9. The stock system wasn't offensive - a person who only listens to local AM/FM stations probably wouldn't care - but to me the quality was underpowered and the sound muddy and mushy. Obviously this is a subjective thing, but aside from more functionality via the touchscreen (my two biggest complaints: terrible navigation of albums/folders on my attached usb player and a lack of Waze/Google Maps) I can't really say what more I would want out of the audio system after the upgrade. As I said in my prior post the clarity and separation is where I want it, it gets louder than I'd ever need it without any distortion, and there's more than enough high/mid/low for me. If I was going to change anything else I would get quieter tires and rip apart everything to add in sound deadening, but I don't have any desire to do all that work for such little gain.

Also are you aware of any FM tuner upgrades that can be done to OEM stereo?
I may opt for the FM Transmitter to get my AUX 3.5mm jack capability.
I'm pretty sure I've seen people mention that they added USB ports to the stock system. I'm on my way out the door to help my daughter practice soccer, so I might not get a chance to dig up any links for you until tomorrow (if I can find them again). As for a tuner upgrade, that's something I don't remember seeing - only full head unit upgrades.

#44 · (Edited)
In the three Hondas which I've upgraded the sound system & added deadener, I've never felt the need to rip out the interior & layering deadener throughout them. Doing the doors, trunk, & spare tire well, to my ears, has given me the most bang for the buck.

So far, OEM Hankook Kynergy GT tires are at 7/32 after 14 months, 22K miles. Will have to wait a little longer to replace them.

Sounds like you'll be enjoying your new system for a while.

#45 ·
In the three Hondas which I've upgraded the sound system & added deadener,
I keep my cars for 8-10 years, and love music so IMO, the money is well spent to get a better stereo. More enjoyment than a brake job right? lol
szyzk: I am no audiophile either, but I also appreciate a good sounding stereo.
I don't want to go overboard with $ and shake my neighbours dentures either.

I am going to drop by the car audio store to discuss options.
So far I think this is what I am going to do for my 2015 CRV EX. (following your advice Kazoo2U)

-Keep OEM head unit
-Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack amp $249CDN (installed by the car audio shop)
-Possibly add an AUX jack (depending on price they charge while they have the OEM HU out)
-JL Audio C1-650 pair $200 front doors only (installed by me)
-Kilmat sound deadening in front doors and spare tire area. $75 (installed by me)
-Tires....my OEM Conti- Cross Contacts tires are ok for now, not too noisy, going to go with my trusty Michelin Defenders for my next summer set.

Questions:
1) do you have any instructions or tips getting the door panels off? I am a little anxious about doing this.
2) The upper door tweeters look like a bugger to get to. Are they difficult to install the new ones into those housings?
3) Should I bother spending the extra $200 for the back door speakers as well?
4) Kilmat....is 50 sq feet enough? or do I only need 25 s.f.? what is the dimensions of the sheets?
5) Lastly, should I buy the amp and speakers from Crutchfield in advance, or do you think a car audio shop will get them at the same price/better?

Thanks for your help guys! This forum is excellent!

#46 ·
I keep my vehicles for a long time as well... I sold my stang after 18 years! Aftermarket audio is definitely something nice if you have the coin to spend. When I dabbled with that stuff years ago, I used Kenwood and Pioneer -- very well known and legendary brands. I would have a car audio shop do everything -- that way there won't be any issues. When doing sound, it's best to do it all... head, amps, and speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.