Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-if not allowed please remove- :)

I am thinking about download the hondahack and get new features and updates. Some folks have installed the OBD-II software, waze. Anyone have tried this?
http://www.autohack.org/ is the website.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Hondahack makes the CR-V HU so much better, I am very happy with it.

Rob

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just learned about this yesterday and went through with it. Bought the Pro version and installed it on my 2017 CRV.

Installation was easy though nerve-raking while waiting for it to finish. Once completed I installed a few of the apps listed within Honda Hack such as Google Maps and Waze. I then went online and went looking for my Home Alarm Android app, downloaded the APK onto a USB stick, and used Honda Hack to install it. Seems to be working fine and I can arm/disarm my alarm system once the car picks up the home's wifi from the driveway.

·
Registered
2017 LX-AWD
72 Posts
To those who have HondaHack installed, I have a few questions.

1- Is it possible to reverse the rooting of the headunit? I wonder if Honda comes up with a worthwhile update someday that the root will prevent the update to install.
2- I'm currently using Waze all the time in my car through Android Auto and it works fine. What benefits would I get by installing Waze directly in the headunit? Does it run smoother? Is it the same "simplified" Android Auto version that shows on the headunit or the full phone version?
3- What about apps updates? You don't get access to the Play Store, so I guess you have to manually download the APK when there's a new version of an app?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
To those who have HondaHack installed, I have a few questions.

1- Is it possible to reverse the rooting of the headunit? I wonder if Honda comes up with a worthwhile update someday that the root will prevent the update to install.
A better question is will Honda ever come out with any updates?
And Yes you can reverse the rooting of the device.

2- I'm currently using Waze all the time in my car through Android Auto and it works fine. What benefits would I get by installing Waze directly in the headunit? Does it run smoother? Is it the same "simplified" Android Auto version that shows on the headunit or the full phone version?
I don't use Waze but all the guys on XDA seem to prefer to have it on the HU. I have read that it works well on the HU.

3- What about apps updates? You don't get access to the Play Store, so I guess you have to manually download the APK when there's a new version of an app?
Yes you do and there may be some apps that update past Kit Kat compatibility so you will have to stick with the older version.

Thanks in advance!
Good luck
Rob

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I just learned about this yesterday and went through with it. Bought the Pro version and installed it on my 2017 CRV.

Installation was easy though nerve-raking while waiting for it to finish. Once completed I installed a few of the apps listed within Honda Hack such as Google Maps and Waze. I then went online and went looking for my Home Alarm Android app, downloaded the APK onto a USB stick, and used Honda Hack to install it. Seems to be working fine and I can arm/disarm my alarm system once the car picks up the home's wifi from the driveway.

Thats great!
Yes HH makes the HU so much more useful and the installation really does not require any skill just following a few steps and making sure your car is in Wifi range.

Rob

·
Registered
511 Posts
There are lots of apps that can possibly work well, just be careful that they do not require google play services and you install only android Jelly bean 4.1.1 API 16-18 supported apps.
I tried a bunch of different apps, some work, some do not and some of them are really cool to have on the car screen like security cam software, weather radar, etc..

But just keep in mind that the head unit isnt very powerful so nothing really runs super fast, and some apps just run too slow to be useful.
I would not try experimenting too much though. Install only what you feel you really need.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I installed the Hondahack. I love it!! I love google maps, Netflix, and spotify. I read some have installed a CPU overclocker to speed up the HU by 30%.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I installed the Hondahack. I love it!! I love google maps, Netflix, and spotify. I read some have installed a CPU overclocker to speed up the HU by 30%.
have not read about overclocking.. will have to look into that. that could be a little risky
where did you read about overclocking the 17/18 CRV?

1 - 20 of 163 Posts