Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have no opinion on these (I've always been served well just by putting on a six-cent disposable glove), but I found the second picture on that Stahlbus to be hilarious. If one wanted to get their hands messy as possible while removing an oil plug, that would be the way. Reminds me of all the hapless cooks on infomercials for random useless kitchen crap.

I can say that I wouldn't be worried about trying to flush the pan with the flow. Unless you are having major sludge problems, there's very little crud in the bottom of an oil pan, and there's no harm in just letting it sit there. Any that gets picked up will be filtered before it gets anywhere near anything important.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
My hang up with all these valves, is that by simply screwing something into the drain hole you automatically restrict the flow of oil and the "bathtub drain " cleaning effect because the drain hole is smaller.
Also do you put the original plug back when you sell the car?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Neither of these drain systems are new. I have used a FRAM "sure drain" SD-2 valve for 10 years on four different Hondas. It is exactly the same as either of these. With the CRV, and the angled drain plug, it is difficult to catch the oil as it runs out at different speeds as the pan empties. The Fram plug solves that problem. These will very likely work the same as the Fram. By running the car up on ramps, the oil will pool more to the back of the pan and the result is a good complete drain. Yes, they are slower than pulling the plug, but if you have the time to do the oil change, then what is 10 minutes? Do your fluid checks, lights, etc. I have used a Fumoto on my diesel truck and they are also a fine system. That is a straight down drain. 19 years and the plug has never been removed. If and when I sell the CRV, I will likely do as I have done before and swap out the Fram plug. No big deal.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't know much about an oil extractor, but I would not think it would get as much oil out as through the drain. Also you will still have to go under and change the filter. I agree the fumoto is a good valve., with the angle drain, unless you have a way to put a hose on it, there will still be some tricky catching of the oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts