Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Ok, so I'm stumped and trying to do the research. I stopped by the dealer today and spoke to the service mgr whom stated that I would need the "special" oil change for the new 2010 CRV that's $60 because it uses "special" oil called "that can only be obtained at the dealer (API Premium Grade 0W-20 Detergent Oil)" as of now and that this oil is synthetic.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the manual (pg. 408) for the 2010 also states that if you drain the oil, replace the filter you must refill it with 4.4 qts but the total oil is 5.6 qts???

I realize that draining the oil and changing the filter won't get everything out but I didn't realize that 1.2 qts is sitting inside the engine and not ever able to be removed except after it's mixed with the new oil and is drained at the next oil change, am I understanding this correctly? I know the above is probably only recommended, just wondering if I'm the only one that's pondered these things?

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oil's not that special

I've got a 2010 that uses the 0W-20 as well. Advance and Autozone both supposedly stock Mobil 1 in the correct weight. That's what I plan on using when the CRV requires her first oil change. Castrol also shows that oil available in their synthetic as well, but, I can't find anyone around me that stocks it.

Regards:
Oldengineer

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil

Thanks, thought I might be overlooking something. Sounds like $60 may be a little high for an oil change, even though the dealer's doing it with "special" synthetic oil.

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
16 Posts
Walmart has Mobil1 Synthetic 0W20 for 6.8x/Qt. (Cannot find 5Qt Jug.) If you do it yourself with a decent filter, oil+filter cost will be more than $40 after tax. Suppose dealer's 0W20 oil is Synthetic, $60 is not that much, and it is documented.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil

You're right, $20 dollars probably isn't worth my time. If I go to Wal-mart and have them do it...my guess is that the cost of labor will make the final bill about $60, and...I learned my lesson with Wal-Mart and my Civic, they stripped the oil nut and ended up costing me ALOT more in the end:mad:.

Sadly, I also had Wal-mart rotate (free with tire purchase) the tires on my Odyssey one time and they over torqued them:mad:...had to go to the dealer to have them cut the lugs off, again another pricey lesson learned.

Thanks for confirming that this is the right thing to do.

-J

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil...

All,

Info I found...not sure, seems this is promoting the AMSOIL brand: There's NOT much info on this out there.
http://www.zamslube.com/whats_new.htm

"1 Mar '07 New 100% Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil

Now available - a long-drain oil for 0W-20 and 5W-20 applications! Ford, Honda, Acura, DaimlerChrysler, and Toyota all recommend fuel efficient 0W-20 or 5W-20 engine oils. This new product, designed for 1 year or 25,000 miles of normal service, and 1 year or 15,000 miles of severe service, gives the the best possible engine protection, cleanliness and performance over the entire extended oil change interval."

Not so sure the Maintenance Minder would allow you to go that long??? Does anyone know, my guess is...what the "Maintenance Minder"s appx combination ave for having an oil change done? ie...7000k miles/6 months or anything like that, hope I'm making sense.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,056 Posts
Not so sure the Maintenance Minder would allow you to go that long??? Does anyone know, my guess is...what the "Maintenance Minder"s appx combination ave for having an oil change done? ie...7000k miles/6 months or anything like that, hope I'm making sense.

First of all, the MM does not actually "know" what oil you have in the engine. It just records things like cold starts, engine running time, and RPMs to determine it's estimate (usually quite accurate) of oil life.

During warm weather or long trips, 2007-2009 Vs might not illuminate the wrench for 10K miles! So you may go longer. In the past, though, oil was to be replaced at least once a year regardless of the MM. Is that a requirement for your 2010? EDIT: I looked it up on the Honda Ownerlink, yes a yearly change is still required.

Up to 2009 the MM was calibrated for mineral oil. Now that the 2010 V recommends 0W-20 (which is only available as a synthetic IIRC) the criteria for oil change interval could have changed. (Maybe Lizzurd can comment)

Here's a nifty video that Honda has on the ownerlink now:
http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/model/content/minder_videos/honda_maintminder.html

·
Registered
344 Posts
Funny, I've been using 0W-20 (Honda 'brand' manufactured by Exxon Mobil) for years in the Insights and Hybrid Civics. Never saw the word "synthetic" anywhere on the bottle and the price of the oil changes for those vehicles was still $28.95

FWIW, the Acura RDX is the only, ahem "Honda", vehicle that specifically calls for synthetic oil - Mobil One by name. You'd think that if Honda had a Honda 'Brand' synthetic oil sitting on the shelf they'd have gone that route, no?

Honda has also indicated that they are developing a job aid for the dealerships indicating which Honda vehicles that currently call for 5W-20 can have the 0W-20 used in substitution to streamline the dealership's inventory stocking issues. I doubt they would be doing this if the Honda brand 0W-20 was a more expensive oil.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Funny, I've been using 0W-20 (Honda 'brand' manufactured by Exxon Mobil) for years in the Insights and Hybrid Civics. Never saw the word "synthetic" anywhere on the bottle and the price of the oil changes for those vehicles was still $28.95
Honda finally came out with a bulletin confirming that the Honda brand 0W20 is infact synthetic. Over the next couple months the labeling on the bottles will be changed to read synthetic.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,056 Posts
Honda finally came out with a bulletin confirming that the Honda brand 0W20 is infact synthetic. Over the next couple months the labeling on the bottles will be changed to read synthetic.
Thanks Lizzurd.

That's nice.... site Sponsor H and A sells the 0W-20 for $5.94 qt (list is $8.25). By contrast, 5W-20 Honda oil for older Vs is $3.05/qt (list $4.07)

Do you or Honda Tech know if the 2010 MM extends oil life for the synthetic oil?

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Thanks Lizzurd.

That's nice.... site Sponsor H and A sells the 0W-20 for $5.94 qt (list is $8.25). By contrast, 5W-20 Honda oil for older Vs is $3.05/qt (list $4.07)

Do you or Honda Tech know if the 2010 MM extends oil life for the synthetic oil?
Still the same as previous years.

Some one could invent an oil that never needs changing and Honda will still call for an oil change once a year.

It goes back to the CYA mentality they will never extend the intervals as long as Honda is providing warranty on the vehicle and there is opportunities fir the dealers to slip their hands into your wallet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oil...

First of all, the MM does not actually "know" what oil you have in the engine. It just records things like cold starts, engine running time, and RPMs to determine it's estimate (usually quite accurate) of oil life.

During warm weather or long trips, 2007-2009 Vs might not illuminate the wrench for 10K miles! So you may go longer. In the past, though, oil was to be replaced at least once a year regardless of the MM. Is that a requirement for your 2010? EDIT: I looked it up on the Honda Ownerlink, yes a yearly change is still required.

Up to 2009 the MM was calibrated for mineral oil. Now that the 2010 V recommends 0W-20 (which is only available as a synthetic IIRC) the criteria for oil change interval could have changed. (Maybe Lizzurd can comment)

Here's a nifty video that Honda has on the ownerlink now:
http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/model/content/minder_videos/honda_maintminder.html
Wow...thanks for the info! I didn't know the computer was that smart, guess I didn't know what to expect? I also didn't know of the once a year oil change thing.

On my 2003 Civic (w/ 230k) that was totaled in the beginning of Feb (the reason I bought a new 2010 CRV) I had been changing the oil every 10k (w/ Mobile 1) and never really took into consideration time (ie. 1yr). I don't think I ever went that long...Glad I joined this site, learn something new everyday!:)

-J

·
Everything in Moderation
8,056 Posts
There is a retired Exxon/Mobil oil engineer that comes to our club meetings. He says that when M1 first came out, it was touted as a "25,000 mile oil". (This was for the PAO Group IV "true synthetic".)

Over time, M1 backed down from that, the reason being that contaminants from the engine needed to be removed from the oil periodically. On a cold engine, there is a lot more blow-by from the combustion chambers...which is acidic. Further, gas dilution (from cold weather or full throttle running) can also affect the oil's lubricating properties.

So, while the oil itself is still "good", a yearly oil change will remove most of those harmful contaminants that can affect the engine.

That backs-up the Honda recommendation. It is also why many owners have their oil analyzed...to see how long it is effective under their particular driving conditions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There is a retired Exxon/Mobil oil engineer that comes to our club meetings. He says that when M1 first came out, it was touted as a "25,000 mile oil". (This was for the PAO Group IV "true synthetic".)

Over time, M1 backed down from that, the reason being that contaminants from the engine needed to be removed from the oil periodically. On a cold engine, there is a lot more blow-by from the combustion chambers...which is acidic. Further, gas dilution (from cold weather or full throttle running) can also affect the oil's lubricating properties.

So, while the oil itself is still "good", a yearly oil change will remove most of those harmful contaminants that can affect the engine.

That backs-up the Honda recommendation. It is also why many owners have their oil analyzed...to see how long it is effective under their particular driving conditions.
Ahh, i was looking for such post earlier...DIY oil change still cost me nearly $45 (mainly cuz they only sell 1 qt-size of 0w-20 @ $7 each!)

So Carbuff can we switch to the cheaper, non-synthetic oil and change the oil more frequently, or should we just bear this as a cost of owning our beloved CRVs?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,056 Posts
Ahh, i was looking for such post earlier...DIY oil change still cost me nearly $45 (mainly cuz they only sell 1 qt-size of 0w-20 @ $7 each!)

So Carbuff can we switch to the cheaper, non-synthetic oil and change the oil more frequently, or should we just bear this as a cost of owning our beloved CRVs?
I'm not an Oil Expert (tho' I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express once) ;)

I'd say, if you can find a 0W-20 oil that is non-synthetic (I doubt it), you could still follow the Honda recommendation of ONE YEAR or whenever the Maintenance Minder says you should change it.

You are ALWAYS free to change the oil more frequently than the Honda recommendation. Just keep receipts as long as you are still under warranty (not that I have EVER heard of an oil-related failure on a Honda engine in the past 25 years). I have owned Hondas since 1976.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,056 Posts
Is that "Lucas or Amsoil"? Or is that all just some sort of marketing ploy?

-J
Oil groups are based on characteristics and performance, not brands.

Presently, mineral (dino) oils are Groups I and II, ultra-refined mineral oils (aka "synthetic" like Pennzoil Platinum) are Group III. True non-petroleum synthetics are Groups IV and V

For a more in depth explanation look to www.Bobistheoilguy.com

But yeah, I'm not aware that any mineral oil can achieve 0W-20 values yet, either. Still, it could happen, as oils are getting better through the years. (Or the Honda brand oil could be a synthetic blend.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts