Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an issue with my Carplay in my Touring CRV. I would say 80% of the time when I connect my IPhone 7, it will go into CarPlay mode then disconnect about 30 seconds later telling me no device is connected. Before I take it to the dealer, has anyone else experienced this issue? I'm using a brand new lightning cable. I haven't tried another IPhone YET, but that is my next step(unfortunately everyone I know uses Android).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mine will occasionally do the same. It constantly does this when I am listening to iHeartRadio. I figured it was my phone or the cable. It isn't the cell signal. I also have static when the Bluetooth is connected.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You could try rebooting the head unit to see if that makes a difference. Simply hold down the power button (the volume knob) for several seconds and it will come up and prompt you to reboot it. It might help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Same problem here. I suspect it's the iPhone. If you move the iPhone then it triggers some kind of signal. I tried many cables. Easiest way is to turn off iPhone and plug.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You could try rebooting the head unit to see if that makes a difference. Simply hold down the power button (the volume knob) for several seconds and it will come up and prompt you to reboot it. It might help.
Thanks for sharing his tip, I wondered if it was possible to reboot it.
I've not had the problem with it dropping the connection once it's established but over the last week or two it frequently doesn't recognize that my iPhone is connected. I've not been able to determine a consistent pattern, sometimes it happens when I plug my phone in before I start the car, other times it happens if I plug my phone in after the car is running. When it does this the only way to get it to make the connection is to turn off the engine and restart the car.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I did try that but it disconnected again. I'm going to wait until Apple releases this new IOS update(10.3). It's supposed to change some of the functionality on CarPlay to make accessing some of the other apps easier while you're using the Apple Maps navigation. If it doesn't correct the issue I will take it to the dealer although I have no idea if these people would even know how to troubleshoot this. I might try using Carplay in some of the other vehicles in the lot and see if the same thing happens.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't think the dealer will be able to do anything other than to file a report with Honda. When you take it in, if you are able to replicate the problem and demonstrate it to them, they will be able to provide that information to the engineers back at headquarters. Sometimes the engineers will have the dealer try a few things to help troubleshoot the issue, but without your phone, they're not going to be able to do this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue you describe (CarPlay disconnects after a short period of time). This has only started to be an issue since either sometime after iOS 11 was released or since I got my iPhone X. I know it is not a cable issue as I do know how to get it to last a whole ride; I have to delete the phone from the settings in the car, delete the car from the CarPlay settings in the phone, and restart both, and it will then not disconnect for one full ride. Unless I repeat that procedure, then the next time I try to connect when I restart the car, it will disconnect after a few minutes and say no device connected. I also just went to the dealership for my first oil change; they confirmed that there is no firmware update available yet. There is a service bulletin about this so Honda is aware, but the only thing they are recommending is making sure that the iOS version is up to date and reseting the head unit at the dealership, neither of which have worked for me.

This isn't acceptable for a new car... Honda/Apple need to fix this and ASAP. I think we need to figure out how to bring attention to it. I started tweeting at Honda and Apple yesterday via this thread; please retweet and echo the sentiment, and find other ways to publicize the problem. You can find my twitter thread under my handle @DSalpeter (I'd post a link but this forum won't let me until I've made a few more posts). Please keep me up to date if anyone gets better answers and/or spread the word.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts