Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 4/2017 EX build, when my iPhone 7 is connected and the navigation screen is active, it will randomly disconnect presenting the “No Devices Connnected” message. I then unplug the iPhone from the lightning connector and reconnect it and the navigation screen returns - sometimes for a few minutes, and other times for much longer.

I haven’t identified a particular set of actions that triggers it. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to address it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I?ve had this issue too. Haven?t had a chance mess around with it too much either but I can share:
- iPhone 8 running iOS 11
- My wife?s phone worked great, mine kept disconnecting though I have had a few drives without any problems - so it?s a bit finnicky.
- I?ve previously had issues plugging my phone in and trying to use CarPlay; had to restart the entire computer once, and have had to disconnect the battery another time to get the system working again.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Try closing out all of the apps(double tap home button, swipe up on all apps) on your IPhone BEFORE plugging it in, and let us know if it disconnects after that. If it does, it's likely an issued with the head unit software.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got a 2017 CRV EX last night and this morning on the way to work I lost track of how many times Car Play disconnected on me. Between the drive to work and going to lunch this afternoon its at least a dozen. I have a new iPhone 8 with iOS 11, I really hope this is just an issue with iOS11 being new and Apple still working the bugs out, because this was one of the most exciting features about this new car for me (coming from a 2005 Accord) and I'll be super disappointed if its an incompatibility with the actual head unit in the car since I don't see Honda bending over backwards to fix it if it's on their end.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Mine will show "no device connected" upon starting it with my iPhone 7+ connected and running when shut off...running an errand, etc. But the iphone will resume playing where I left off when shutting it off.
I unplug and replug and all is fine. I do not recall this prior to the recent ios update.
I'm not sure if it is an Apple/CarPlay or Honda problem but I'm leaning towards Apple/CarPlay because prior to the recent ios update it worked perfectly.
Once it recognizes the device it works fine with no disconnects...unless I shut off the car and even then sometimes it works fine.

Odd problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did some experimenting on the way home from work today, and it seemed like it would always drop its connection about 5 minutes into using it. I tried restarting the head unit by holding the power button down, and I also made sure my phone was freshly restarted with the network settings cleared and all other apps closed.

I did make one interesting observation though: I let it sit on the main car play menu (the one with all the icons) and made sure all apps were closed on my phone, and it stayed connected for 30 minutes straight. After about 30 minutes (I have a long commute!) I decided to try calling someone through car play, and it immediately disconnected about 5-10 seconds afterward. I unplugged/plugged back in the USB cable, drove for another 10 minutes or so on just the main car play menu without issue, tried sending a text through Siri, and it disconnected right there again.

What this means is that I think I can rule it out being a physical connectivity problem (bad USB cable, bad/loose internal wiring, cold solder joint, lint in the usb/lightning cable ports etc) since it seemed very tightly correlated to actions taken with the software itself.

I really hope its just a bug in iOS 11 that gets fixed and not some issue with the head unit or something else that wont get fixed.

Is there anyone with a similar setup (iOS 11.1/iPhone 8 + 2017 CRV) whose Car Play is working just fine?

·
Registered
91 Posts
All I can say is I just used Android Auto on a trip that was 260 miles each way. I used Audible and Google Maps for the whole trip there, and back. Each way I made one stop where I removed my phone, exited the car, then returned and plugged the phone back in. I had zero issues with it.

I did have DriveMode activated on my phone so the drive wasn't interrupted by calls or texts, so don't know for sure how it would have reacted to that, but I did have a couple of times where texts come through right at the beginning of a couple of starts before drive mode kicked in and that went fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is rich, and probably the most accurate answer. CarPlay has been poorly integrated and has glitches. No Device Connected bugs plague this awesome feature. It's not Apple, it's Honda. Other manufacturers have done a better job. Sorry, but Honda's integration of CarPlay isn't ready for prime time.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,065 Posts
Every iOS update (there was one a few days ago) causes some iPhones to have connectivity issues.
Not all just some. Then we get a slew of complaints about losing BT connection etc.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,194 Posts
This is rich, and probably the most accurate answer. CarPlay has been poorly integrated and has glitches. No Device Connected bugs plague this awesome feature. It's not Apple, it's Honda. Other manufacturers have done a better job. Sorry, but Honda's integration of CarPlay isn't ready for prime time.
I'm a member of another automotive brand forum, and they are complaining of disconnect issues with Apple as well. :Hmmmmm:

Dunno, I use an Android. I had 1 or 2 disconnects, resolved after I did a soft reboot. I can't help but think that an Android phone will have a better relationship with the Android HU. ???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.