Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Saw this yesterday while watching the WWDC. Really cool news. While Apple Maps has been OK for most of my use, I really do prefer Google Maps. Other than that, I can't wait for dark mode with OS X Mojave, lol.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD sold
4,139 Posts
Fantastic news. Smart move by Apple. I’m sure it will stop people leaving Apple

·
Registered
544 Posts
Looking forward to more than one choice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The last time I used the Apple mapping navigation I was in Pittsburgh and needed to get to my hotel. The app directed me to a parking lot of a car dealership 4 miles beyond the hotel. Google map app successfully got me to the hotel. I will be nice to be able to use the Google maps from within Carplay.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
and they also will be monitoring every move you do in the apps so why on earth you can't drive like the old days... Lol
Meh who cares, this kind of thing is becoming Data overload for them. Unless your involved in some kind of illegal activity they have no reason or care to even look at your data. Yes it is disturbing that they are collecting everything that we do and their "terrorist" reasoning is no longer really believable. I would never put an Alexa in my house or any of those other eavesdropping devices but mapping software does not bother me at this point. You either move with the times at least cautiously or get stuck in the stone ages.

Rob

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Excellent, we should see it in October?
Yes it is excellent news! I hope some sort of off line map storage will work with it.
I am a bit worried with the direction Apple is headed. It looks like the Steve Jobs was really the glue and no one can replace him.
If he was around I am pretty sure Apple would have fixed their own maps to make them as good or better than Googles and SIRI, OMG has that thing just gone down hill over the years while Google and the rest have gotten better. I think Tim Cook just does not have the perfectionist ideology in him like Jobs.

Rob

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes it is excellent news! I hope some sort of off line map storage will work with it.
I am a bit worried with the direction Apple is headed. It looks like the Steve Jobs was really the glue and no one can replace him.
If he was around I am pretty sure Apple would have fixed their own maps to make them as good or better than Googles and SIRI, OMG has that thing just gone down hill over the years while Google and the rest have gotten better. I think Tim Cook just does not have the perfectionist ideology in him like Jobs.

Rob
I've been an Apple user since Lisa. Believe me I've see the Best and Worse in Steve Jobs. Tim Cook is doing a pretty good job

·
Registered
239 Posts
The last time I used the Apple mapping navigation I was in Pittsburgh and needed to get to my hotel. The app directed me to a parking lot of a car dealership 4 miles beyond the hotel. Google map app successfully got me to the hotel. I will be nice to be able to use the Google maps from within Carplay.
Google Maps' accuracy has always been excellent in the So Cal area where I live. But on a recent trip to New Mexico (Albuquerque area and farther north) Google Maps repeatedly generated inaccurate routing information. This was the first time I've experienced this and makes me wonder about its reliability in other areas.

·
Registered
65 Posts
One question, there is Apple Carplay code in the head unit which communicates with the Carplay app in the iPhone? Will the code in the head unit need to be updated to take advantage of the new functionality in the updated Carplay app? If yes then it might be a long time before Honda gets around to sending out an updated for our head units.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
One question, there is Apple Carplay code in the head unit which communicates with the Carplay app in the iPhone? Will the code in the head unit need to be updated to take advantage of the new functionality in the updated Carplay app? If yes then it might be a long time before Honda gets around to sending out an updated for our head units.
No the HU should not require any updating.

Rob

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hallelujah! Other than displaying speed limits, I loathe Apple Maps with a passion. I can only hope when they implement, hitting the Mic button in Google Maps will process the input through Google instead of Siri. I really don't want Siri passing her often hilariously-wrong search results off to GMaps.

Some examples:
"Friends of the Library Bookstore": "Do you want a library? Or do you want a bookstore?"
"Raleigh Grande Cinemas": "Tacos Grande Mexican Restaurant"
"Cinemark Raleigh Grande": "I don't know Cinemark Raleigh Grande"
"Park West 15 Cinemas" (happens to be 20 minutes away in Morrisville, NC): "15 Central Park West, New York City"

And the best one:

"NC Zoo": "Save a Gato Cat Sanctuary, San Juan, Puerto Rico" How she planned to give me driving directions to that one from North Carolina, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
1,123 Posts
Hallelujah! Other than displaying speed limits, I loathe Apple Maps with a passion. I can only hope when they implement, hitting the Mic button in Google Maps will process the input through Google instead of Siri. I really don't want Siri passing her often hilariously-wrong search results off to GMaps.

Some examples:
"Friends of the Library Bookstore": "Do you want a library? Or do you want a bookstore?"
"Raleigh Grande Cinemas": "Tacos Grande Mexican Restaurant"
"Cinemark Raleigh Grande": "I don't know Cinemark Raleigh Grande"
"Park West 15 Cinemas" (happens to be 20 minutes away in Morrisville, NC): "15 Central Park West, New York City"

And the best one:

"NC Zoo": "Save a Gato Cat Sanctuary, San Juan, Puerto Rico" How she planned to give me driving directions to that one from North Carolina, I'm not sure.
So if you hate Apple maps and don't like Siri's answers, why do you have and Iphone? Just curious.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I’m on the IOS & waze beta platforms. I’m hoping that I’ll get to test this very soon.

No Waze on IOS Was the primary reason I have been using Bluetooth instead of CarPlay.

Finally Apple realized people were going to Android for this reason.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.