Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short (I know some of you have been following), Honda has deemed my new 2017 CRV irreparable. The dealer has instructed me to go through the buyback process at American Honda. Has anyone successfully gone through this?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I may have sued a car company before and it was not pleasant. If they are being cool see what Honda does for you.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Well, start by getting a piece of paper on it from the dealer that says they cannot repair the defect. Until you get that, it's just the dealership trying to avoid diagnostic work they won't get paid for. If they won't produce that piece of paper, complain to Honda corporate that your dealer is refusing to fix your car.

You might also want to let corporate know the dealer is telling you to have Honda buy back the thing. I suspect they might be very surprised and upset to hear this. I have a funny feeling Honda Corporate did not, in fact, tell the dealer to tell you to have Honda buy the car back.

Research the Lemon Law in your state and ensure you've met the requirements. (They very wildly.)

I'd then tell the dealer you'd like to speak to the Zone service representative, because they are the ones that would probably be responsible for signing off on any payment outside an actual Lemon Law suit.

You might want to consult with a lawyer before starting the non-binding arbitration process. No idea how useful the process is, but you certainly don't want to screw up any potential future lemon law suit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I suppose getting a local lawyer too is a good idea if you end up needing one. I would assume that if the dealer is saying they can't fix it Honda should know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The best part is that American Honda is telling me over the phone it can’t be fixed. My car cannot physically be touched because “Honda Engineering might come out with a recall someday.”

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
The best part is that American Honda is telling me over the phone it can’t be fixed. My car cannot physically be touched because “Honda Engineering might come out with a recall someday.”
Well, if it IS the corporate office directly telling you the car can't be fixed, then yes, it's time to start the paperwork to have them take the car off your hands.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What was the original problem? Fuel in the oil. Dilution causing cylinder wear?
Honda doesn’t know. They’ve confirmed it’s an issue with the fuel system, whether it be the low pressure fuel pump or the gas tank itself. They won’t tell me EXACTLY what the problem is and yet they refuse to work on the car. American Honda says there is a “known issue” and they are working on a fix, but in the meantime I am considered about the safety issue regarding something being wrong with the fuel system and they won’t tell me.

They claim it doesn’t affect the drivability of the vehicle but none of the techs have actually driven the car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, start by getting a piece of paper on it from the dealer that says they cannot repair the defect. Until you get that, it's just the dealership trying to avoid diagnostic work they won't get paid for. If they won't produce that piece of paper, complain to Honda corporate that your dealer is refusing to fix your car.

You might also want to let corporate know the dealer is telling you to have Honda buy back the thing. I suspect they might be very surprised and upset to hear this. I have a funny feeling Honda Corporate did not, in fact, tell the dealer to tell you to have Honda buy the car back.

Research the Lemon Law in your state and ensure you've met the requirements. (They very wildly.)

I'd then tell the dealer you'd like to speak to the Zone service representative, because they are the ones that would probably be responsible for signing off on any payment outside an actual Lemon Law suit.

You might want to consult with a lawyer before starting the non-binding arbitration process. No idea how useful the process is, but you certainly don't want to screw up any potential future lemon law suit.
American Honda nor the dealership will give me anything in writing saying it’s irreparable. They just keep saying “there might be a fix in the next year.”

·
Registered
548 Posts
I had an issue with Toyota and they couldn't repair my steering issue on a new 1 week car. I fix the steering issue was buying the same car at the dealer and selling my 1 week old car.. and took a $1500 loss.. but I went to the media and Toyota Corp sent me the $1500 difference..
FYI: GMA morning show picked up the steering issue and it went national! Others had the same steering issue, too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am actually going through the process with Nissan right now... Look at the Warranty/Extended warranty booklet that came with your vehicle. It varies by stated, but I had to bring the vehicle in 5 times (required by law) to allow the dealer to fix the problem before I could request a repurchase/replacement. Also, I was required to go before an Arbitrator at the BBB, who sided with me.

Without documentation from a dealer, you won't be able to do much with your states Lemon Law. If you have to, bring it to 5 (or whatever is required in your state) different dealers so you have the documentation. It's not a fun process. Also, if legal in your state, record the conversation you had with Honda.

Mog

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Long story short (I know some of you have been following), Honda has deemed my new 2017 CRV irreparable. The dealer has instructed me to go through the buyback process at American Honda. Has anyone successfully gone through this?
Did the message about it being irreparable come directly from Honda, or is that what the dealer told you? And has anyone at Honda contacted you directly?

I'd start with asking for details about what they are offering you and go from there.

If you don't like the offer then you can start looking at other options, including getting a lawyer involved.
But do not tell Honda you are going to sue them, as that will immediately put them in 'defend the castle' mode, and they may stop talking to you at all.

If you do decide to go the lawyer route, shop around for a lawyer, and ask about a 'demand letter'. Rather than involving the courts, the lawyer sends a formal letter to Honda demanding that they fix the problem, replace the car, buy it back from you, or whatever resolution you would like Honda to do.

But talk to Honda first, and I don't mean your Honda dealer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did the message about it being irreparable come directly from Honda, or is that what the dealer told you? And has anyone at Honda contacted you directly?

I'd start with asking for details about what they are offering you and go from there.

If you don't like the offer then you can start looking at other options, including getting a lawyer involved.
But do not tell Honda you are going to sue them, as that will immediately put them in 'defend the castle' mode, and they may stop talking to you at all.

If you do decide to go the lawyer route, shop around for a lawyer, and ask about a 'demand letter'. Rather than involving the courts, the lawyer sends a formal letter to Honda demanding that they fix the problem, replace the car, buy it back from you, or whatever resolution you would like Honda to do.

But talk to Honda first, and I don't mean your Honda dealer.

Good luck!
I have a Honda case manager at American Honda who told me on the phone that the car is “currently irreparable” based on what they’re hearing from the tech line and dealerships, “however, they might come out with a repair in the future.”

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I have a Honda case manager at American Honda who told me on the phone that the car is “currently irreparable” based on what they’re hearing from the tech line and dealerships, “however, they might come out with a repair in the future.”
And did they say what they are going to do for you right now? Not some time in the unknowable future??

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And did they say what they are going to do for you right now? Not some time in the unknowable future??
They told me nothing can be done because “the dealer said the drivability is fine.” So I have to “wait for a recall to potentially come out.”

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
What exactly is the problem or at the least can you post a link to the orginal thread.

Rob

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What exactly is the problem or at the least can you post a link to the orginal thread.

Rob
This sound:

https://youtu.be/xTPN68HXqd8

This can be heard from the rear of the vehicle, both inside and outside. It gets worse with a full tank of gas. Honda has indicated it’s a known problem with the fuel system and has been reported many times but does not have a solution.

I have taken the car in for a repair and the techs removed the gas tank and repositioned it in a different spot slightly and then strapped it back down. Noise went away temporarily and as of last week the vehicle made a loud one time “thunk” from the rear and now the noise is louder than ever.

The cell phone video doesn’t do it justice - the noise can be heard by a listener on the other end of a call on speakerphone.. it’s pretty damn loud.

One of the Honda techs once asked me if the car was in a wreck because it sounded so wrong.

·
Registered
322 Posts
This sound:

https://youtu.be/xTPN68HXqd8

This can be heard from the rear of the vehicle, both inside and outside. It gets worse with a full tank of gas. Honda has indicated it’s a known problem with the fuel system and has been reported many times but does not have a solution.

I have taken the car in for a repair and the techs removed the gas tank and repositioned it in a different spot slightly and then strapped it back down. Noise went away temporarily and as of last week the vehicle made a loud one time “thunk” from the rear and now the noise is louder than ever.

The cell phone video doesn’t do it justice - the noise can be heard by a listener on the other end of a call on speakerphone.. it’s pretty damn loud.

One of the Honda techs once asked me if the car was in a wreck because it sounded so wrong.

Good luck- Hopefully Honda will replace the truck for you. The sound is definitely Not normal- My friend owns a 2018 touring- very quiet sometimes cannot even tell if engine is on.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts