Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
The issue I’m having a hard time wrapping my brain around is the fact that Honda and the dealership said the following:

1. There is a problem with the vehicle.
2. The problem is a “known issue” and there may be a recall in the future.
3. They do not actually KNOW what the problem is.
4. They have deemed my vehicle safe to operate simply because the check engine light is not on and the vehicle is not throwing codes.
5. The people deeming my vehicle safe to operate are going based on the repair from 1/9/18 which has since gotten worse. The vehicle has not been reinspected since.

I cannot trust that the vehicle is safe to drive when Honda Engineering doesn’t even know what the problem IS.

Does that make sense?
Not really. Doesn't make sense to me. If you adequately described the issue to a technical service person at Honda, I'm fairly certain they know what the problem is and even documented it. Sounds like they don't have a solution to the problem.

Are you saying any time there isn't a solution or rather an immediate solution to a problem in a vehicle, it isn't safe to drive?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The issue I’m having a hard time wrapping my brain around is the fact that Honda and the dealership said the following:

1. There is a problem with the vehicle.
2. The problem is a “known issue” and there may be a recall in the future.
3. They do not actually KNOW what the problem is.
4. They have deemed my vehicle safe to operate simply because the check engine light is not on and the vehicle is not throwing codes.
5. The people deeming my vehicle safe to operate are going based on the repair from 1/9/18 which has since gotten worse. The vehicle has not been reinspected since.

I cannot trust that the vehicle is safe to drive when Honda Engineering doesn’t even know what the problem IS.

Does that make sense?
Not really. Doesn't make sense to me. If you adequately described the issue to a technical service person at Honda, I'm fairly certain they know what the problem is and even documented it. Sounds like they don't have a solution to the problem.

Are you saying any time there isn't a solution or rather an immediate solution to a problem in a vehicle, it isn't safe to drive?
The problem has been confirmed from my fuel system but they haven’t narrowed it down.

I would say there is no 100% certainty that the vehicle is safe to drive.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I bet you could say that about almost any vehicle. My wife drove around in her CR-V for several years with a suspect airbag. Your issue is starting to sound more about quality than safety.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The problem has been confirmed from my fuel system but they haven’t narrowed it down.

Vehicle is safe to drive. It'll not go up into flames because the fuel pumped to the engine will be cut off and go into limp mode.
The issue is as of yet unknown but some say its software based.

Also, you're telling us they don't know what the issue is but you do even after they've fixed it and replaced the parts/added insulation. But your assumptions are based on internet comments from others. I don't know how you can be 100% sure that you know what the problem is but not the techs.

Just go through the process of a buy-back so Honda's insurance will take care of the bill. I can understand your frustration on a new car. Also, ask for something from the dealership. I'm sure they can compensate you and get you a deep discount on a future car.

BTW, that knocking sound is happening on my car as well. But it does not come from the engine. It's not as loud as yours and I can barely hear it unless I'm looking for it. It only has 2K miles.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I still think my suggestion to send them certified letters will get quicker results. I think there are regulations that require them to respond in a certain time period. It worked for me as I outlined earlier.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I still think my suggestion to send them certified letters will get quicker results. I think there are regulations that require them to respond in a certain time period. It worked for me as I outlined earlier.
Better yet...file a complaint with NHSTA
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

If enough people would complain about problems to the Government Agency the car mfg. will react.....

·
Registered
973 Posts
Here's a NHTSA complaint for back of car noise...

PURCHASED 2017 HONDA CRV EXL WITH AWD IN OCTOBER 2017. IMMEDIATELY AFTER PURCHASE, THERE WAS A LOUD KNOCKING NOISE COMING FROM THE REAR OF THE VEHICLE. VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO LIA HONDA IN WILLIAMSVILLE, NY WHERE I WAS TOLD "THAT'S JUST THE SOUND OF THE FUEL PUMP, TURN YOUR RADIO UP." THE SOUND PROGRESSIVELY GOT LOUDER SO THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN BACK TO LIA HONDA IN DECEMBER 2017. TECH THAT HEARD THE NOISE SAID "IT SOUNDED LIKE THE VEHICLE WAS IN A CRASH, THE SOUND WAS THAT BAD." VEHICLE SCHEDULED FOR REPAIR IN JAN 2018. REPAIR WAS MADE TO VEHICLE IN JAN 2018 WHICH INCLUDED ADDED INSULATION AROUND GAS TANK AND TIGHTENING OF THE GAS TANK STRAPS. NOISE WENT AWAY FOR APPROXIMATELY 1-2 WEEKS. NOISE IS NOW BACK LOUDER THAN EVER AS OF FEB 2018. CAR WAS TAKEN BACK TO LIA HONDA AGAIN AND WE WERE TOLD "HONDA TOLD THEM NOT TO TOUCH THE CAR" AND THAT THEY "WOULD NOT MAKE ANY REPAIRS TO THE VEHICLE." I AM CONCERNED THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE SAFETY SYSTEM AND IT IS NOT BEING TAKEN SERIOUSLY BY HONDA OR MY DEALERSHIP. I DO NOT FEEL SAFE DRIVING THE CAR KNOWING THE GAS TANK OR FUEL PUMP IS KNOCKING ABNORMALLY. THE KNOCKING NOISE HAPPENS ALL THE TIME BUT IS LOUDER WHEN THERE IS A FULL TANK OF GAS. THE KNOCKING CAN BE HEARD BEST FROM THE REAR OF THE VEHICLE NEAR THE GAS TANK.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Here's a NHTSA complaint for back of car noise...

PURCHASED 2017 HONDA CRV EXL WITH AWD IN OCTOBER 2017. IMMEDIATELY AFTER PURCHASE, THERE WAS A LOUD KNOCKING NOISE COMING FROM THE REAR OF THE VEHICLE. VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO LIA HONDA IN WILLIAMSVILLE, NY WHERE I WAS TOLD "THAT'S JUST THE SOUND OF THE FUEL PUMP, TURN YOUR RADIO UP." THE SOUND PROGRESSIVELY GOT LOUDER SO THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN BACK TO LIA HONDA IN DECEMBER 2017. TECH THAT HEARD THE NOISE SAID "IT SOUNDED LIKE THE VEHICLE WAS IN A CRASH, THE SOUND WAS THAT BAD." VEHICLE SCHEDULED FOR REPAIR IN JAN 2018. REPAIR WAS MADE TO VEHICLE IN JAN 2018 WHICH INCLUDED ADDED INSULATION AROUND GAS TANK AND TIGHTENING OF THE GAS TANK STRAPS. NOISE WENT AWAY FOR APPROXIMATELY 1-2 WEEKS. NOISE IS NOW BACK LOUDER THAN EVER AS OF FEB 2018. CAR WAS TAKEN BACK TO LIA HONDA AGAIN AND WE WERE TOLD "HONDA TOLD THEM NOT TO TOUCH THE CAR" AND THAT THEY "WOULD NOT MAKE ANY REPAIRS TO THE VEHICLE." I AM CONCERNED THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE SAFETY SYSTEM AND IT IS NOT BEING TAKEN SERIOUSLY BY HONDA OR MY DEALERSHIP. I DO NOT FEEL SAFE DRIVING THE CAR KNOWING THE GAS TANK OR FUEL PUMP IS KNOCKING ABNORMALLY. THE KNOCKING NOISE HAPPENS ALL THE TIME BUT IS LOUDER WHEN THERE IS A FULL TANK OF GAS. THE KNOCKING CAN BE HEARD BEST FROM THE REAR OF THE VEHICLE NEAR THE GAS TANK.
That’s actually my complaint.. I already submitted one haha :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Document everything, preferably on video. Then contact a consumer reporter at a TV station in your area - almost every town has a few, usually with alliterative names: "Ask Asa", "Better Get Baquero", "Fred Fixes It", etc. They LOVE stories of the little guy getting screwed by a big company. If you can present a compelling story, that will get you quicker results than lawyers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You must have a serious reading comprehension problem.
Over a month ago he posted the following...

So the dealership said the noise SEEMS to have SUBSIDED, but Honda is investigating the issue and will hopefully release a SUITABLE REPAIR in the future.

The OP goes on to say that it seemed much quieter ON THE DRIVE HOME FROM THE REPAIR.

Obviously the "fix" was not sufficient.
Are you the forum police? I saw the post where he stated the noise was almost gone and that he was happy with it, this is why I asked the question.

The OP then came back with his explanation, no need for you to come and insult me in his thread.

·
Administrator
3,297 Posts
Sadly when a thread dissolves into insults, it’s time to remind everyone to keep matters civil and friendly.
If you can’t, then the moderators will be forced to close the thread.
Thank you
Rocky (with his moderator hat on)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry to hear about the your dealings with Honda, Taco. (I haven't been on the forum in a month or so) My 2018 sill has the loud knocking noise from the back, same as your video. Last month, my dealer service manager said I'm the third one to report it to them, he claims they've been told Honda is working on a fix. I'm still driving it, haven't had any other issues. After reading all you've been through, I don't know what to do? Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can't say I know what it is, but I only hear it in park or at a stop when the drivetrain is not moving. The sound is most noticeable when the gas tank is full, though still present to about 2/3rd's full. I don't notice it much once the fuel level is lower than that. Supposedly in the rear, under the back seat where the noise is coming from is where the low pressure fuel pump is located. It sounds like a noisy pump in my CRV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am considering selling my Honda because they will not correct problems. Question, what is the advantage of arbitration over trading in/selling?

41 - 56 of 56 Posts